[.11] Character Management Application - Free Play

Alkalin3

Knight
You can access the most recent build of the Character Management Application at https://freeplay.alliancelarp.com

You can create characters, set their xp and buy skills. This can help you plan your 2.0 builds, or just play around.

As we move closer to the playtest we're going to use the same software (but a different instance) to manage your characters. The plan is to eventually transition the entire organization away from the old way of managing characters to this new software. The freeplay app gives you higher access to clear your character skills and up your character's xp.

You can click the skills and read their descriptions, which might help as you're learning 2.0. Keep in mind that skills that haven't changed since 1.3 don't have updated descriptions, so you'll see rulebook descriptions (which might not make sense relative to 2.0)

I'll do everything in my power to not delete characters. The database is backed up nightly so it should be a safe place to store builds.

FAQ:
I found a bug, what should I do?
You can message me here on the forums, or find one of the 10 other ways to contact me. I'll file it. I'm going to get a bug bounty program off the ground where we can reward people for finding problems. Right now the only thing I can reward are South Michigan gobs. But, the hope is one day Dragon Stamps. But, we'll see on that. I will get details in that together. But, it'll probably pay out between 5-30 gobs depending on the severity of the bug and instructions to reproduce. Maybe some other chapters will decide to help sweeten the pot.

Is the organization going to use this? If so when?
That is the plan. There's still some details to work out but, the owners voted to keep moving forward on this project. The plan is to make the full transition as we switch to 2.0. We'll have some chances to test it out and make improvements during the playtest process.

I'd like to help out how can I get involved?
I'd love help! I probably can't give you much besides South Michigan gobs (since even I haven't gotten anything for the work done here). But, if you're looking to get involved there's a lot to do from cleaning up styling, to programing, to testing.

What's it programed in?
Ruby 2.5.1 / Ruby on Rails 5 / Postgresql and absolutely no Microsoft Access.

I have a feature request or a suggestion for an improvement. Will you do it for me?
I'm happy to hear out any requests. It's mostly just me (with some help from @Durnic ). That makes it hard to quickly respond to stuff. Feedback is important so request away but, there are a lot of priorities. And some thing maybe not worth tackling right now. Feel free to shoot me an email or get in touch with me and I'm happy to talk through it with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thank you for doing this! Just rebuilt my character, and I loved it!

The only pain point for me was buying spells up to 9th level, as it was really slow.

Agreed on the pyramid buying. Would like something like the "purchase multiple" button, but that instead you input the desired slot level, number of slots, and it fills out the pyramid enough to meet your request.

Otherwise, pretty good for an early demo. Do you have a GitHub repo or something to send pull requests to?

Looks pretty cool so far. Only issue I found while building my Templar is that I cant seem to buy Flexible casting.

@Tantarus Not to sound patronizing, but did you make sure you have a 2nd-Level spell slot? It's the prerequisite for Flexible Casting, so it shouldn't be showing up until you have one.

ETA: I want to make sure there's an actual problem, since a player in our chapter built a high-level Sylvanborn and subsequently questioned why only Craftsman was available for purchase; for the record, choosing Sylvanborn as a Race has the builder force you to take Craftsman until you have 1 per level (up to level 5) before any other skills show up.

Flexible Casting shows up for me just fine if I buy a 2nd-Level slot, for the record.

That is so weird! But, I was actually able to replicate it after a second attempt. Both tries used Spellsword, so I'm not sure what's causing the issue. It's only 2 XP for a Spellsword, and I've got 25 left to spend on number 2, so in theory it should be showing up, but it's just not there. Too tired to really investigate further, but I'll see what I can do after a good sleep.

A few people pointed out the flex casting thing. It looks like it's requiring a 2nd level in both schools (or maybe 2nd celestial?). Which is incorrect obviously. I'll have some time today to take a look.

Last edited:
Agreed on the pyramid buying. Would like something like the "purchase multiple" button, but that instead you input the desired slot level, number of slots, and it fills out the pyramid enough to meet your request.
I want to build a set of strategies you can quickly buy. Like Buy a Prof, Buy a Backstab, Buy a Column. While everyone is building their characters now, it's a bit painful. The reality is most people are going to be buying a single skill or two when the thing is live. So it's not something I've invested a ton of time in. I feel your pain though. It's probably going to be a number one request. So once I figure out the best way to do it, maybe it'll come to me. Checking prerequisites and generating costs for skills is rather complex since we have all these things that factor into them.

Otherwise, pretty good for an early demo. Do you have a GitHub repo or something to send pull requests to?

I do. Let me work out a few things with Jesse and I can get you access (IE Payment for work for people doing prs). Want to send me your github name? Have you used ruby before? I'm happy to help you learn if not.

ETA: I want to make sure there's an actual problem, since a player in our chapter built a high-level Sylvanborn and subsequently questioned why only Craftsman was available for purchase; for the record, choosing Sylvanborn as a Race has the builder force you to take Craftsman until you have 1 per level (up to level 5) before any other skills show up.

That Sylvanborn flow kind of sucks for sure.

I’m having an issue buying improved channeling with 200 or so scholar build, earth primary, and a 1st level spell slot.

I’m having an issue buying improved channeling with 200 or so scholar build, earth primary, and a 1st level spell slot.
Almost certainly related to flex casting bug, which I think is related to reposting strike bug too. I'll write a test and flush out what's going on soon.

No bugs found so far. Loving the UI. One minor request...paragraphs or spacing in skill/race pages. Gets hard to read with the wall of text. :D

Edit: One bug found. With claws purchased, it doesn't let me buy any martial/stealth skills. I HAVE to buy a weapon skill other than claws to make it work.

I have not had issues with riposting strike and have put together a couple builds with it, some with spells and some without.

I did notice that it looks like dodge has the wrong skill description. The old 1 per 2 backstabs text is still in there.

Just out of curiousity, are there plans to transition this into an app?

I have not had issues with riposting strike and have put together a couple builds with it, some with spells and some without.

I did notice that it looks like dodge has the wrong skill description. The old 1 per 2 backstabs text is still in there.

Keep in mind that skills that haven't changed since 1.3 don't have updated descriptions, so you'll see rulebook descriptions (which might not make sense relative to 2.0)

It's related to stealth build it seems. I'm in the middle of solving it. If you're building a pure fighter, it won't be noticeable.

Yeah. Dodge didn't change. The playtest packet does not offer a new description. So the 1.3 description is there.

No. That wasn't the intent of it from the start. The intent is to let this handle as many of our logistics interactions as possible. Right now Alliance is terrible at logistics. We waste a lot of our volunteer's time. You need to email a chapter to get your card, send them back what you want to spend your build on, wait. Email other chapters to spend gobs, wait. Email Dragonstamps to spend stamps wait...
There's a bunch of useful stuff that you can't see because there's no upcoming events loaded into the app, nor do you have any goblin or dragon stamps. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.

Unfortunately, writing server code and app code are very different things. I'd have to rewrite most of this to make it a downloadable app. (And I'd probably chose a language that wasn't Ruby if I was going to do that).

The side effect of trying to solve these problems is that we have an online character builder people can play with.

7681d3a7e562bcbb8092b3052ba9f0efac17e082 is deployed. This fixes bugs related to the purchasing of Flexible Casting, Hardy, and Improved Channeling.

Most of this was data entry mistakes.
I could have just edited the data but, I'm trying to keep an updated skills seed file.

No bugs found so far. Loving the UI. One minor request...paragraphs or spacing in skill/race pages. Gets hard to read with the wall of text. :D

Edit: One bug found. With claws purchased, it doesn't let me buy any martial/stealth skills. I HAVE to buy a weapon skill other than claws to make it work.

Yep. I for sure do not have claws setup like other weapons. Technically Claws are a racial skills and Crit Attacks and Back Attacks require Weapon Skills. :p

That's certainly not the intent. It was just a data entry oversight on my part.

Back