Character Rewrite and what makes a weapon magical

Would you like to see LCO production items since we have none now?

• Total voters

Gulielmos

So I had been wondering what the rule was on if someone wanted to rewrite their back story after understanding the world better.

Also I know rituals are how we put effects on weapons but are there other ways to make effects on weapons?

You can silver or strengthen (shatter-resistimg) a weapon via smithing, but outside of that, no.

I'm sorta against LCO production for a customer service reason. It would encourage people to spend build on PP skills for item production that, upon change of a Plot team, they might not be able to use any further.

Or find magic items. Yes. This is why you become friends with those people. They will need an arm to swing that magic weapon effectively. Most caster's are friendly enough to approach. This helps create a game where people work together.

I ask because the sword I want would be ruled magical possible.

So next event I am going to need to find someone to cast a ritual.

You might consider using the IG forums to ask about it, rather than waiting for an event, since a lot of major ritual casters usually have the option of preparing ritual manipulations, which is done ahead of time, during pre-registration.

So I had been wondering what the rule was on if someone wanted to rewrite their back story after understanding the world better.

There really isn't a rule on this. But, I recommend working with Plot on the subject. :) The things you should consider about changing your back story are:
  • Are the changes big or small?
  • If the changes are small you can probably just send a revision to the back story to Plot.
  • If the changes are big (such as coming from a different land, a complete re-write from the ground up, etc.), then contemplate how much you have already told people In-Game. I recommend trying to keep your story consistent with what has gone out IG, but you could tell people you had a momentary lapse in sanity or hope they didn't remember in the first place. :)

I should note that if you already have an approved back story re-making it will not award more Goblin Stamps.

I should also note that my answer is specific to the question asked: Back Story. Rewriting a character does have a rule: a Player may rewrite their character (race, class, skills) after their first event PCing, but after the second event PCing the character is locked in and you need a Spirit Forge ritual to make skill changes.

Hope this helps.

LCO production items are not good for the following reasons:
  • The items produced likely will not travel to other chapters (one of the main selling points of Alliance is that you can play the same character all over the US)
  • Because the items may not travel the character may invest build points into something that is less useful outside of the chapter
  • The cost of production is set by Plot and the Owner. It may change over time or be removed altogether as Plot changes
  • Players traveling to the chapter from outside may be at a disadvantage (don't have the recipe, don't know about the LCO production thing, etc.)
The only time I can think of where LCO production items would be good is if a chapter volunteered to run a Pilot Program to Alpha test a proposal to validate it as a proof of concept.

To piggy-back off of Seth, even if it was done as an Alpha test, we'd be pretty up front with the fact that it is a test. Therefore it would be subject to change, and could even be discontinued completely if the idea is found to be unworkable / bad for the game as a whole. To proceed as if that was "normal" is to put your character's build at risk. If a bunch of LCO blacksmithing items were available, remember that they may get pulled out from under your character, and that such items almost certainly would not travel to other chapters. That said, we're always willing to take a look at unusual plot requests, just understand that there is a lot working against such LCO production items. To even accept them as an alpha run, we'd have to have it presented with a very good case for doing things differently.

I'm seriously not trying to discourage anyone from creative endeavors, I just want to point out some of the realities involved.

You could always disguise your new backstory as being "true" and that you lied about everything else previously, to protect your identity, or because you left under embarrassing conditions etc. that might actually add a fun level of complexity to your character if you're into that sort of thing :)

Nobody does that! <.<
I've revised my backstory twice now to fit with tie-in characters coming in, or to clear up things that I geared my original backstory towards that were no longer relevant.
I would recommend that your backstory be vague as hell from the beginning so you can flesh it out with detail in game, and so it doesn't require so much alteration when you start realizing your current character doesn't quite match up.

LCO items would be rad. Sure, they don't travel but many Seattle players don't travel either and the idea of there being something quirky and unique in Seattle for players to check out might serve to guide them this way.
I know that I've seen other chapters with cool little gimmicks that make me want to travel there just to see how it works.
If anything, LCO production items are like getting a lollipop at the doctor's. Sure, there's the downside of it being inconvenient and painful, but hey man, free lollipop!

Definitely do not write up an ultra-detailed 20-page backstory including your Vale's creation myth tacked on as an appendix.

No one does that.

*cough cough*

When your background has more pages than your character has months to live, you might be Rick.

Ouch... too soon man.

When your background has more pages than your character has months to live, you might be Rick.
Durnic just might have an irrational fear of phoenixes.

Back