Check out the new picture on our web page

meltedwing said:
I'm honestly not fond of the picture. It doesn't feel quite right. It feels like 15 year olds at the park.

How about compared to the previous picture?

Mind you, we're NOT using this for the Rule Book cover.

Also, Heidi says thank you for the comment about 15 year olds. :D

To be honest, I never really dug the old cover either but I feel it was better than this image. The major problem I had with the old cover is that it didn't seem to reflect what I would consider epic or filled with intrigue. I realize that if you took just any old shot at a game you'd probably end up with a fairly anti-climactic image, but I would hope that an image we use would convey the overall feel we get by being there. The other thing is that I realize the image pretty much needs to be cut in half for the front and the back and the old picture definitely seemed to do that well.

Just my thoughts.

Tell Heidi "you're welcome" for me :)

meltedwing said:
The major problem I had with the old cover is that it didn't seem to reflect what I would consider epic or filled with intrigue.

No intrigue? A woman's bodyguard is about beat a Sarr for threatening her. Who is she? What did the Sarr say to anger the guard? At the table behind them are a mysterious man whose face is well hidden inside a hood, not to mention whatever may be in the tome the three by the window are perusing. Lots of interpretations. That's intrigue.

I'd like the cover even if I wasn't the Sarr who's threatening my wife. LOL

My critique from what I can tell from the above picture.

1. The villans are kinda lame. They cower in the corner like weaklings. Also they are out numbered. To me this makes me ask, "Why should I care?" If they outnumbered the PCs and stood like they weren't afraid or possibly pissed off then I would say it would interest me because there would be a conflict that I would like to find out what happens.

2. The PCs don't look directly at the villians. This does a few things. One it confuses the viewer because they don't know what or who the PCs are looking at. Second is that invalidates the villians as being a seriouse threat; thus making me think again, "Why should I care?"

3. No apparent composition of elements within the picture. This is a hard one to explain in a short blurb, but I will try. There needs to be a shape made by arranging the PCs, NPCs, props, environment, etc. to subtly reinforce the theme of the picture. For example an x shape to show the crossing lines of conflict or a swirl to help show the chaos of battle. Also use more depth whithin the composition by useing foreground background and middleground elements to engender a 'deeper' meaning to the image.

4. More people. This shows social evidence whereby it imparts credibility to the subject of what is shown (why should I care comes to mind again) as well as the game itself. Nobody wants to be in a game with only a handful of poeple in it. It doens't say epic tales of conquest and adventure. Just some Lord of the RIngs nerds showing up to reinact a scene from the movie and or books in a park somewhere (and hopefully in a not too public venue).

5. I like the costumeing and props I think it was done very well. Kudos to the wardrobe and props department! Although I think the girl in the skimpy outfit needs to bundle up because her lack of clothing makes her stand out too much. This shows that she is too under dressed to fit in with the rest of the PCs or the environment. Eventually it causes me to widthdraw myself from the image with subtle disbelief of the illusion of the picture and the game itself.

6. The picture quality is also very well done. It also looks like a very well ballanced image. Photoshoped?

Anywho thats it for now. I think eventually it will get there if you keep plugging at it. :)

B~>

Unsure said:
My critique from what I can tell from the above picture.

1. The villans are kinda lame. They cower in the corner like weaklings. Also they are out numbered. To me this makes me ask, "Why should I care?" If they outnumbered the PCs and stood like they weren't afraid or possibly pissed off then I would say it would interest me because there would be a conflict that I would like to find out what happens.

2. The PCs don't look directly at the villians. This does a few things. One it confuses the viewer because they don't know what or who the PCs are looking at. Second is that invalidates the villians as being a seriouse threat; thus making me think again, "Why should I care?"

3. No apparent composition of elements within the picture. This is a hard one to explain in a short blurb, but I will try. There needs to be a shape made by arranging the PCs, NPCs, props, environment, etc. to subtly reinforce the theme of the picture. For example an x shape to show the crossing lines of conflict or a swirl to help show the chaos of battle. Also use more depth whithin the composition by useing foreground background and middleground elements to engender a 'deeper' meaning to the image.

4. More people. This shows social evidence whereby it imparts credibility to the subject of what is shown (why should I care comes to mind again) as well as the game itself. Nobody wants to be in a game with only a handful of poeple in it. It doens't say epic tales of conquest and adventure. Just some Lord of the RIngs nerds showing up to reinact a scene from the movie and or books in a park somewhere (and hopefully in a not too public venue).

5. I like the costumeing and props I think it was done very well. Kudos to the wardrobe and props department! Although I think the girl in the skimpy outfit needs to bundle up because her lack of clothing makes her stand out too much. This shows that she is too under dressed to fit in with the rest of the PCs or the environment. Eventually it causes me to widthdraw myself from the image with subtle disbelief of the illusion of the picture and the game itself.

6. The picture quality is also very well done. It also looks like a very well ballanced image. Photoshoped?

Anywho thats it for now. I think eventually it will get there if you keep plugging at it. :)

B~>

I agree with most of your points (composition of elements, yes), but the villains don't seem to be cowering too much, the only person (to me) that seems to be looking off is Chaz (the dwarf) and to me Dee (the woman with the "skimpy outfit") is saying "I don't care how cold it is, I am a hardcore player and I will wear my costume no matter how cold it is".

More people......well I think every LARP wants that but some times it is hard to pull off. Plus this is pretty accurate, the pcs out numbering the npc 2:1 and for npcs a 2:1 ratio is a good turnout :lol:

Well, you know, some of those reasons are why we decided NOT to use it as our cover...

My question is whether we should be using it for the main web page as opposed to the old picture. I don't want to use the old picture any more as it is associated with our last Rule Book which was a "NERO" Rule Book, and I think we need a fresh start...

Use it for now and then take another big group shot at the next event.

I think a collage of big battles (A picture from each chapter) would look awesome and really convey that we are more then just one location. (i'm sure it would also portray the diverseness of not only our players, but the characters as well)
My 2 coppers worth.

vikingsurvivor said:
I think a collage of big battles (A picture from each chapter) would look awesome and really convey that we are more then just one location. (i'm sure it would also portray the diverseness of not only our players, but the characters as well)
My 2 coppers worth.

Nah, too crowded. This is just a splash picture; there are pictures from all chapters in the photo section.

What about a rotating splash picture as an animated Gif that rotates every 5 seconds and maybe has one picture from each chapter... perhaps even have the name of the chapter in the lower left corner or something.

That would achieve the same goal and not look too busy. Anyone with a copy of photoshop csx could make it.

I think that one great picture is worth 50 ok ones personally. The old addage of a picture is worth a thousand words should make us consider wisely what those words are going to say about Alliance.

B~>

Back