Coin Names

mythic

Baron
What name should we give our coins? We have the "loonie" and "twoonie" as examples of the coins in Canada. So PLOT was thinking we need to knickname our Gold, Silver and Copper. You can have your say on the forums. We will be narrowing them down to the top 3 and then Alliance Alberta will vote on them!

Here are some examples:
Gold: Crowns
Silver: Nobles
Copper: Jesters

Gold: Lions
Silver: Eagles
Copper: Toads

Gold: Crown
Silver: Shilling
Copper: Farthing

Gold: Mina
Silver: Drachma
Copper: Obolous

Gold: Quenyar
Silver: Drymar
Copper: Golbst

Gold: Hammers
Silver: Anvils
Copper: Shackles

Gold: Talents
Silver: Cords
Copper: Bands

Does the land have a flag, emblem or crest?

Galleons - Gold
Sterlings - Silver
Copper's - Obvious

Klanger said:
Does the land have a flag, emblem or crest?

hmm. actually, no we have not gone through any heraldry. The King is a Gold Lion Rampant (facing left) on Purple. That's about it.

Lions
Paanthers
Claws

Are you noting the feline feel? ;)

Since we're the first Canadian chapter (not counting the disbanded ones) I'd like to suggest;

Gold Loons
Silver Hart (or Elk - moose doesn't quite have the same majesty)
Copper Beavers

:D

The King is a Gold Lion Rampant (facing left) on Purple.
Well, then how about Gold Lions? (Also a play up on the fact that we're on Lions' Youth Camp)

I'm partial to these lists from the original post;
Gold: Mina
Silver: Drachma
Copper: Obolous

Gold: Hammers
Silver: Anvils
Copper: Shackles

Gold: Talents
Silver: Cords
Copper: Bands

"I'll be havin' five beavers fer' that!" <-Make sure to put in context the terms we'll be using. If you can't keep a straight face, I would suggest tweaking :lol:

As it stands, it is the racial stock that makes up the majority of the kingdoms it seems rather, and there might be some fun from it. While (for now) there is no difference, here's a chunk of change:

Dwarves
Gold Pieces: Fort Hammers
Silver Pieces: Silver Stones
Coppers: Brass Nails

Humans
Gold Pieces: Crowns
Silver Pieces: Links
Coppers: Pennies

Orcs/Ogres:
Gold Pieces: Softies
Silver Pieces: Shinies
Coppers: Bendies

Barbarians (N/M/W):
Gold Pieces: Suns
Silver Pieces: Moons
Coppers: Shields

Elven:
Gold Pieces: Marks
Silver Pieces: Rupees
Coppers: Berries.

Biata:
Gold Pieces: Marks
Silver Pieces: Talons
Coppers: Seeds

Sarr:
Gold Pieces: Lira
Silver Pieces: Keera
Coppers: Terra

Side Note: Gogo Wizard of Oz reference :p

Now where is this coin reference come from Garnett?

Gold: Parsons (After the first King after the great war and started building alliances with other races)
Silver: Cyrus (After the King who gave us our current Calender and united the many factions)
Copper: Artruros (After the Archmage who was slayed, and all nobles are to forever remember with Festival of Crows)

Gold would have the image of King Parson on one side (Heads) and a Lion Rampant on the other side (Tails)
Silver would have the image of King Cyrus on one side (Heads) and a Comet on the other Side (After Cyrus' Comet)
Copper would have the image of Artruros on one side (Heads) and a Crow on the other side (Day of Crows)

This would incorporate how our game would have these coins set this way, as well as images that would be used.

The "Modern Slang" for these coins would be

Gold: Lions
Silver: Comets
Copper: Crows

Just an idea though.. :)

I vote for this one! Nice work magester lol

As to the Oz reference, it was earlier made with someone else. My own references had been basic scans of high fantasy and what was in the world guide's summary; exception to that list was Sarr and Biata, more off the top of my head. If we custom plated coins, Mobeus has a few fine ideas for currency; though for coppers seems a bit long named.

Edit: Misread, copper crows is good!

+1 to Garnett's and Aaron's suggestions.

Though it puts a totally different meaning to the expression oog expressions "have a crow (over something that upsets someone)" and "I don't give a crow!" (although that would probably changed to 'wouldn't give a crow' if it was referring to IG coin)

If the races do have their own 'mints', then use Garnett's and replace his 'human' with Aaron's suggestion, and I'd be really pleased with that outcome (Aaron's would be the one we would use locally - so saying a 'Parson' or a 'Lion' would be interchangeable, and while the 'official' name for a copper is that wizard's name - saying a copper crow works too - which would be a great play-up to the festival of crows next week!).

we would only be looking for one set of names.

Aaron's would work as there are offical names and then the slang.

We would not have racial names for the coins. That would get too confusing. We want something that is quick and easy, but gives Alberta our own "flavor".

And no, we cannot "re-mint"Alliance coins. They are what they are and that is the way they have to stay. It's a really cool idea mind you, but not one we would be persuing.

Lol Justin you need to remember that the writen word isn't always gospil. ;)

You know I like that concept of..

"I don't give a crow!"

That really makes the slang come to life, since it would be the least expensive currency, and people not caring about a penny makes it worthwhile..

Thanks!

Oh and I wasn't planning on reminting... just a suggestion on what the coins would "look" like IG... I mean we imagine big monsters, and people casting spells.. having these designs on the coin "in our imagination" is all I implied :)

Klanger said:
Lol Justin you need to remember that the writen word isn't always gospil. ;)

While I take your meaning as general good advice, I'm not sure how it applies specifically to my posts in this thread?

Im down with Aaron's. It is very much in flavour with our history. plus there are so many ways to use the slang, " a Lions Bounty" "a Comets wage". I like it :thumbsup:

Back