Curious on thoughts of a chapter restricting these rituals,

MaxIrons

Knight
Marshal
Hello. I've been thinking about a campaign where ritual magic can do interesting things, but can't replicate build abilities. To that end I'm interested to see what people would think about a campaign where the following rituals were restricted from entering the campaign:

Channel Spell
Damage Aura
Monster Slayer
Race Reaver
Enchant
Expanded Enchantment
Greater Wand
Master Construct
Spirit Link
Spirit Store
Store Ability
Cloak
Bane
Elemental Burst
Elemental Aura
Earth/Chaos Aura

The monster cards would have to be written with this in mind, but what do people think about such a place in the mists?

(Of note. I considered putting Arcane Armor on this list, but given the real life costs/difficulties some folks have with real armor, I am leaving it available to players from a service standpoint).

Last edited:
I don't see Elemental Aura, which is a build ability.

I would be down in playing in a campaign like this, but then again I am down for a lot of things that I don't think most people would be up for when it comes to LARP.

Wouldn't bother me none.

I don't see Elemental Aura, which is a build ability.

I would be down in playing in a campaign like this, but then again I am down for a lot of things that I don't think most people would be up for when it comes to LARP.

Yeah, I'm on the fence with Aura rituals, but ultimately I'm okay with them. I suppose as Magic Aura isn't a thing adding those to the list makes sense as well. Thanks Rick.

So are you saying you want these to be LCO only and non transferable?

Nope. I'm saying that these rituals Do Not Exist in this story. At all. :D

Totally fine here.

I would love it. That is how things should be IMO anyhow. Magic items should not replicate build abilites.

I'd keep Aura rituals, but only at the +0 level (for damage aura). Too much stuff in the monster database needs non-normal, non-silver to hit and blade spells can't be made into scrolls. Otherwise it sounds cool.

-MS

I'd keep Aura rituals, but only at the +0 level (for damage aura). Too much stuff in the monster database needs non-normal, non-silver to hit and blade spells can't be made into scrolls. Otherwise it sounds cool.

-MS

Can't pick and choose from what I understand. Either no ritual or ritual as presented. I would already have to write monsters for this from scratch to scale properly (something I have practice with). So I could be very very picky about what monsters would get those defenses. I tend to use different defenses for weapon attacks besides blanket immunities regardless.

Front line fighters will be utterly made irrelevant by Templars. I bet many would say this is good for the game as a whole but is this your intent?

Joe S.

My intent is to do an actual system stress test of what happens without these rituals, and see what kinds of tactics players adopt. I want to see what Alliance would look like without these rituals so it's not hypothetical, but rather road tested.

I expect a lot more production skills and a healthier economy. I expect a lot less effect pong and more effects sticking on both sides of the battlefield ( monsters would not have access to these rituals either). I also suspect that the power disparity between high level an low level to not be as pronounced.

I don't know any of that, and finding your hypothesis wrong it's one of the best chances to learn ever.

The Ashbury alternate campaign Nine Towers is running without any ritual magic whatsoever. They have wrapped up two years of a three year pre-written arc, and are getting generally rave reviews, not least of which for how much the game feels better without ritual magic.

I'd play it. Mind you, it's pretty close to how I play now, minus the AA I wear because my knees aren't happy with wearing plate anymore. :)

The Ashbury alternate campaign Nine Towers is running without any ritual magic whatsoever. They have wrapped up two years of a three year pre-written arc, and are getting generally rave reviews, not least of which for how much the game feels better without ritual magic.

I'd love to get a chance to play, but opposite coasts makes it a mite difficult. ;)

I would be interested in playing in a game wit these restrictions for sure.

Curious: As mentioned earlier in the thread, what affect has no magic items done in terms of class balance? ARE there more Templars / Adepts than Fighters? Are Scouts more common? Scholars? Have you watched those trends?

That would essentially leave the following for Magic Item creation with the Physical target that lasts longer than an event:
  • Arcane Armor
  • Enhance Wand
  • Item Recall
  • Permanent Duration
  • Preserve Duration
  • Protection Aura
  • Render Indestructible (Improved)
  • Sacrifice
  • Spell Parry
  • Spirit Lock
I may be missing one or two. I could live with that. I would likely have a different character build, though. ;)

Curious: As mentioned earlier in the thread, what affect has no magic items done in terms of class balance? ARE there more Templars / Adepts than Fighters? Are Scouts more common? Scholars? Have you watched those trends?

Actually, we're tending to see more pure classes than cross classes. I think that might be a factor of the fact that it is a limited duration campaign that is still level-capped - pure classes tend to be more immediately effective at low level than crosses. More artisans than I'm used to seeing as well, because armor saves lives, weapons get shattered, and alchemy is REALLY effective against a lot of things.

So, if the goal is to ditch skills that duplicate other standard skills and things, why not ditch Spell Parry (resist magic), Arcane Armor (wear some, you hippie!), Spirit Lock (get a Paste), Render (Strengthen Yo Stuff!), Enhance Wand (get another wand!), and Item Recall (go find it!)?

Back