Damage Aura "white glow"

Polare

Count
Not posting this on the HQ board because it will be a waste of time.

So it appears that I will need to change the physrep for Translator to be more fully white. No problem with this, but I want the weapon to still represent that it's red and black steel as this is quite important to my character for a number of reasons.

Any suggestions? I can come up with two:

1. Find a gauzy/thin white nylon and pull it over the existing cloth cover. The intent is to find something which will allow the underlying red/black background to show through, but still appear 'white' at a distance.

2. Start with a solid white cloth base, add red and black streaks via iron-on cloth transfers (same thing I did with the existing cloth sleeve to get the red and black streaks).

I would prefer 1. as it will be much more apparent that the weapon itself is black/red steel with "extra white on top", but I'm not sure if that will fulfill the rules requirement. I would like input on this from a Seattle marshal.

If anyone has other suggestions please post them here.

Thanks
-Bryan

I would think if you could get some sturdy white fishnets that would work. Might have to replace them fairly regularly though. Other thought I had was do the ol' photo negative trick. Make the blade all white with black and red lettering spelling Translator, could even be black letters with red edging or vice versa kind of a thing?

I had to drop the appearance of Balryn's blade from Red Black Silver long ago, so I don't know what to say. I thought the thread on HQ was very strange because it really didn't address the fact that the scroll says what the scroll says. The "whole white" thing on the east coast wasn't always true, because back in the hay day at NW 10+ years ago we had several east coast teams come in with DA weapons with white flames or lettering on them like translator.

Oh well right?

I'm waiting on the official hand me down ruling before I change Balryn's sword. The whole "white" on blade thing for DA has always made me scratch my head.

Specifically, whatever the ruling on "how much is enough" needs to be spelled out.

~Barry

Polare Lissenstine said:
Not posting this on the HQ board because it will be a waste of time.

So it appears that I will need to change the physrep for Translator to be more fully white. No problem with this, but I want the weapon to still represent that it's red and black steel as this is quite important to my character for a number of reasons.

Any suggestions? I can come up with two:

1. Find a gauzy/thin white nylon and pull it over the existing cloth cover. The intent is to find something which will allow the underlying red/black background to show through, but still appear 'white' at a distance.

2. Start with a solid white cloth base, add red and black streaks via iron-on cloth transfers (same thing I did with the existing cloth sleeve to get the red and black streaks).

I would prefer 1. as it will be much more apparent that the weapon itself is black/red steel with "extra white on top", but I'm not sure if that will fulfill the rules requirement. I would like input on this from a Seattle marshal.

If anyone has other suggestions please post them here.

Thanks
-Bryan
I dont know if you ever saw my old magic blade, the one what was white, with a green undertone, but that might work as well. I have a green base level, and a thin white sock over it (well had, now its not magic and all green again)
On the other hand, if you make the writting larger, and on both sides of the blade, you may get the same effect as the white stripe on both sides deal.

Kauss said:
On the other hand, if you make the writting larger, and on both sides of the blade, you may get the same effect as the white stripe on both sides deal.
Yeah... but it's looking like the white stripe on both sides deal isn't going to be cutting it anymore. Which is why Balryn's sword will be getting a make-over as soon as they settle on it.

~B

Balryn said:
Yeah... but it's looking like the white stripe on both sides deal isn't going to be cutting it anymore. Which is why Balryn's sword will be getting a make-over as soon as they settle on it.

~B
Personly, I think when they "settle" it, they need to put it into an errata. But then personly I have problems with 90% of the stuff involving DAs. In general DAs are just not as clear and clean as they should be. They have diffrent color rules than all other blades, they have diffrent tresure policy costs and handleing details as well. It actally comes of, to me that is, that the DAs are made to be very rare IG as a non LCO item, and made so that they are easyer to steal since anyone can tell a DA weapon from a non DA. Personly there are many other magic weapon types I would worry about more than a DA for abuse, but then I have an odd view on things.

Kauss said:

I would *love* to do that. But, as Barry pointed out, I doubt that is going to fly with those who apparently control the interpretation. I also suspect there may be some special eyes out at the next event looking to see our compliance due to such things, and I don't want to get Seattle in trouble as a chapter.

Any Seattle marshals want to make a stab at interpreting any of these as possibilities?

-Bryan

I'd say that, like Phil said, a white sock over it should be clear enough.

BTW, he's a marshal too. :p

~Sarah

Officially:

Damage Aura weapons must have a white striking surface. The striking surface is defined as any part of the weapon with which a valid (non-waylay) hit may be scored. Placing non-white ornamentation on the striking surface is acceptable, as long as the white surface remains plainly visible from all angles. If the Damage Aura is spellcrafted then temporary measures may be taken (ie, strips of white tape), however the white must still be visible from all angles.

In order to avoid possible confusion, no weapon which does not have a Damage Aura may have white on the striking surface.

-Dan

Polare Lissenstine said:
Whoops. Sorry about that, my mistake :)

-Bryan
No worries. I dont wear my marshal hat much at events (Just a few in the know ask me things, tho I always raise my hand.) However if you play in my gamedays I have to show my marshal side much more.
The thin white sock trick should work fine tho, keep in mind from a distance it will look more white in the day, and up close the dark will show through more.

OK. I built on Kauss' first suggestion and came up with this. I would like to know if this will fulfill the DA requirements.

Each picture is of about 1/3 of the surface (rotated between each shot). This is easier to see when you note that the 3rd picture has the bottom of the letters in the 1st picture.

Changes made: Removed old lettering and put on enlarged lettering. Added white zebra-like patterns to sword surfaces.

trans1.jpg

trans2.jpg

trans3.jpg

Polare Lissenstine said:
OK. I built on Kauss' first suggestion and came up with this. I would like to know if this will fulfill the DA requirements.

Each picture is of about 1/3 of the surface (rotated between each shot). This is easier to see when you note that the 3rd picture has the bottom of the letters in the 1st picture.

Changes made: Removed old lettering and put on enlarged lettering. Added white zebra-like patterns to sword surfaces.

THE BELOW IS MY OPINION ON THE WEAPON.

I hate to say that while it looks very cool I do not believe that it would suffice based on what I've been hearing. I would say that in order for your original dezign to work you would need to have a white weapon with black lettering.n As it is "most" of your weapon is not white. It still appears as a black weapon with white lettering and flames. However if you inverted the colors then you'd have a weapon covered in white. That weapon currently is about 25% white. Still a long way to go.

Marc

Hey, Marc, no problem. I respect your opinion, but would like defining word from "the" Seattle marshal on this ;).

In the interest of discussion, though... in your opinion what would this physrep count as? Would you accept it as a non-DA weapon? It was made clear on the Alliance board that there was not intended to be any "grey area" where a weapon was neither legal for DA nor legal for non-DA.

So, if you do not consider it acceptable for a DA weapon, if you were the sole marshal making the decision, would you consider it acceptable for a non-DA weapon? Why or why not? Do you think that there should be a grey area where a weapon is not legal for *anything*?

I looked over Dan's guidelines when changing the physrep and thought that it fit those guidelines. The striking surface plainly contains white. There is no angle where you can look at the striking surface and NOT see white along its length (well, I suppose if your eye were 1" from the tip and looking directly at the tip, you wouldn't see white, but that's a rather unsafe position anyhow).

-Bryan

NOT THE WORDS OF A SEATTLE MARSHALL

Considering what I've read on the HQ board, here's how I'd rule it:

If the weapon was brought to me as a DA weapon I'd say what I just did " I would say that in order for your original design to work you would need to have a white weapon with black lettering. As it is "most" of your weapon is not white."

If that weapon was brought to me as a regular weapon I'd say that there is too much white on your weapon as to cause confusion as to if it is a damage aura weapon or not. I would suggest uzing a different color than white for the weapon. It could have red flames and yellow lettering with no problems (as to me that would not indicate a claw)

As it is I would say that what you have is not a valid NERO Physrep because it causes too much confusion as to if it is a DA weapon or not. Similar to if someone came to me with packets that were checkered orange and blue. If someone saw one it would be difficult for them to tell if they were Alchemy packets or not. I would, in the interest of keeping the game flowing smoothly, request that the weapon (or spellpacket) not be used. I would ask anyone with a weapon in the grey area to change it to one side or the other of the grey.

But again, that's just me. And I'm the guy who doesn't take alchemy effects from blue packets or spell effects from Orange packets.

Marc

I would have to see it up close to say for sure sadly, but as it stands, it needs to look like its a mostly white weapon. What I mean by this is it needs to be (My guess) visably 75 white on the blade. I would say, from the pics, that your in the 40-55 range.
To give a better view (from what I can tell) someone at a distance should say, "whats the black stuff on the sword?" and not "Whats the white stuff on the sword?"
Now I would have to see it in person to know for sure, but thats my pic eyeball of it.

(A seattle marshal most the time)

Hey, check it out.. I got no position, but just in case, this be what I think.

If its at all possible and you need more white, you could put more inner-white lettering.. sort of embossing inside it.

But, I think it looks great, Bryan.

I would disagree with Phil. IMO, and I am a Seattle Marshal, it still looks like a black sword with white on top of it. The main reason for this is the color scheme of the word written across the blade. Simply put, it looks like a black blade with some white etchings, rather than a white blade with blackened etchings to make the white letters stand out.

jpariury said:
I would disagree with Phil. IMO, and I am a Seattle Marshal, it still looks like a black sword with white on top of it. The main reason for this is the color scheme of the word written across the blade. Simply put, it looks like a black blade with some white etchings, rather than a white blade with blackened etchings to make the white letters stand out.

What do you disagree with? Are you not both saying it needs to be more white than it currently is?

Which btw, is my opinion as well. As cool as it looks, it does need to be more white.

Back