Dark elf makeup requirement change

Auric

Administrator
Alliance Owner
Effective August 1st 2018 black makeup can no longer be used for dark elves. The owners have voted to change the racial requirement to dark blue, grey, or dark purple makeup.

Some chapters are already offering a version of this policy at an LCO level. Also, some plot teams may be choosing to provide IG story regarding this change. Please check with your local teams regarding their plans and time frame for making the change.

If you currently play a dark elf and would prefer, the owners have also voted to allow you to race change. Please contact your local logistics staff if you wish to go this route

Is white hair still a requirement?

Thanks,
Trace

So can they wear either of the colors? Are they allowed to mix? (Such as having grey skin and purple veins, etc).

So can they wear either of the colors? Are they allowed to mix? (Such as having grey skin and purple veins, etc).

This. Are they essentially expected to stay single-tone, or are players free to make use of all allowed colors assuming they aren't mistaken for a different race (I guess Kyn/Sarr?)

Thank you for adopting this nationally. I'm very excited.

Also, is there a limit to the shades of purple, blue, or grey? We don't want people to just pick a dark enough blue that it simply looks black anyways, but I don't know if you were planning on having a "colors should be within these RGB ranges" or something as part of the national race packets?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

At risk of overstepping here, I would say that anyone who deliberately picks a dark enough blue/purple that it gets mistaken for black is intentionally violating the spirit of the rules specifically to start a fight over "how dark is too dark" and cause a problem for the chapter's CS team.

In that mindset, I would suggest using the rule of thumb that "if it's too dark to easily tell it's blue/purple before you apply it, it's probably too dark to wear in-game" would cover most scenarios? I doubt a lot of the player base is so set on having Dark Elves be specifically black that this wouldn't cover their needs, and those players who feel it doesn't could have their makeup choices judged BEFORE coming to game on a case-by-case basis by the logistics/CS team or the owner.

At risk of overstepping here, I would say that anyone who deliberately picks a dark enough blue/purple that it gets mistaken for black is intentionally violating the spirit of the rules specifically to start a fight over "how dark is too dark" and cause a problem for the chapter's CS team.

In that mindset, I would suggest using the rule of thumb that "if it's too dark to easily tell it's blue/purple before you apply it, it's probably too dark to wear in-game" would cover most scenarios? I doubt a lot of the player base is so set on having Dark Elves be specifically black that this wouldn't cover their needs, and those players who feel it doesn't could have their makeup choices judged BEFORE coming to game on a case-by-case basis by the logistics/CS team or the owner.

I'm not certain what CS means (local thing?), but I suspect that Marshals would be a better go-to. At least in our area, Marshals clear racial-representation issues, though I suspect we'll be working with our owners from the onset to get a good idea of what they expect.

CS is just short for Customer Service; we have a small group of people that handle OoG complaints that can't be handled by Marshals (essentially, issues that escalate beyond simple disputes between players, such as harassment and things like that), sometimes as a sort of tribunal, sometimes one-on-one. If your Marshals handle that sort of thing normally, then that would be the equivalent in my books. I would consider that particular scenario a thing that might require them to be involved, specifically so that all players know the makeup choice was cleared for use by someone they might otherwise take that sort of thing to. It's obviously going to vary slightly by chapter and who okays it, but it should minimize complaints and theoretically stop people from starting a "how dark is too dark" argument.

Is there a ruling on using black face paint for monster NPCs? Shadow Elementals or similar types.

Are all the pictures of a Dark Elf being removed from the rulebook and the websites as well?

Are all the pictures of a Dark Elf being removed from the rulebook and the websites as well?
They will be, yes. We just need some really good replacement photos.

This. Are they essentially expected to stay single-tone, or are players free to make use of all allowed colors assuming they aren't mistaken for a different race (I guess Kyn/Sarr?)

Players can absolutely mix tones! In fact, from some of the makeup enthusiasts I’ve spoken with, it looks much better!

A couple members of our team played dark elf PCs - one purple with blue highlights, the other blue with purple highlights. It looked excellent!

Players can absolutely mix tones! In fact, from some of the makeup enthusiasts I’ve spoken with, it looks much better!

A couple members of our team played dark elf PCs - one purple with blue highlights, the other blue with purple highlights. It looked excellent!
As a makeup fan, and someone wanting to learn more, I look forward to testing it out sometime.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My plot team leader mixed purple and gray at the HQ opener and in my opinion, it looked spectacular. The change actually opens up even more options for character design than we had before. Super happy excited about this change.

Even though the ruling that has been made is no black makeup can be used, only gray, blue, and purple - and that the examples I provided were within those parameters, I redact my post.

I wish you all well in finding what you’re looking for.

Last edited:
To me, the above just looks like the original dark evles, and it's a dark enough grey that it reads black to me.

Also, when the rule was listed above, they said Dark blue, grey, and Dark Purple. To me, the double use of "dark" on the other two colors led me to believe that "dark" grey wasn't one of the colors... rather lighter colors of grey.

But again, this is why I asked in an earlier comment if there was going to be a little more clarification on what shades work? Because my biggest fear with a rule change like this is that those who didn't want the rule change are simply going to try to get as close as they can to the original rules anyways. And if people just wear dark enough colors of these to make it look black anyways, it defeats the purpose of this to begin with.

Back