Dark elf makeup requirement change

If it looks darker in the photos than it is in real life, then we really shouldn't use those as example photos. I suggest we get some good pictures of the obviously dark blue/dark purple examples up instead of working with grey at this point. Allow it, sure, but work with the other examples for a while. I'll see if I can get some help with my dark elf NPC makeup in July (I am pretty bad with shading and whatnot) and get those up.

Some of the responses when I took these pictures to some of the negatively impacted folks were:
"That looks like they are going for, 'as close to the original as possible.'"
"48 drops black, one drop blue. Yeah, no bueno. They need to specify what types of color they are using."

Just a thought regarding the face paint of the dark elves, since blue/dark blue is an option, could we have our makeup mimic the makeup used in Avatar?

If it looks darker in the photos than it is in real life, then we really shouldn't use those as example photos. I suggest we get some good pictures of the obviously dark blue/dark purple examples up instead of working with grey at this point. Allow it, sure, but work with the other examples for a while. I'll see if I can get some help with my dark elf NPC makeup in July (I am pretty bad with shading and whatnot) and get those up.

As some one that worked in the professional broadcasting industry since 2007, pictures can make things look different than they really are (check a bunch of profile pics out there).

Some of the responses when I took these pictures to some of the negatively impacted folks were:
"That looks like they are going for, 'as close to the original as possible.'"
"48 drops black, one drop blue. Yeah, no bueno. They need to specify what types of color they are using."

If people are responding with that then they assume that the person doing it is trying to "cheat". Thats a bit rough and I don't think that the OP was doing anything of the sort. I would have also told those people, "Well lets not jump to conclusions and judge a book by its cover". Right?

I mean how many people give you a weird look when you tell them about this game. I always proceed to say, hey don't knock it until you try it.

*Edit* I did see that you put "Allow it, sure" *Thumbs Up*

As some one that worked in the professional broadcasting industry since 2007, pictures can make things look different than they really are (check a bunch of profile pics out there).

If people are responding with that then they assume that the person doing it is trying to "cheat". Thats a bit rough and I don't think that the OP was doing anything of the sort. I would have also told those people, "Well lets not jump to conclusions and judge a book by its cover". Right?

*Edit* I did see that you put "Allow it, sure" *Thumbs Up*

Yeah, even I wasn't trying to beat the other person down for their example. I simply expressed how it looked via the picture. We have a couple months until this needs to be fully implemented. Growing pains will surely happen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm not saying anything against the person, at all. I think the makeup job is gorgeous, I am sure that it looks much lighter in real life. I can confidently say they were trying to go by the spirit of the rules. Those quotes were non fished for responses by other people, the knee jerk reactions that can turn a player away and make them feel unwelcome.

All I'm saying is we have had bad PR in the communities we are trying to make feel more comfortable, for a while now. So let's focus on getting some awesome pictures that can't be misinterpreted. Let's get some awesome blue/ purple shots up to, pardon the pun, put our best face forward.

I am very interested in seeing some photos to gauge shade and tone. Please, post some examples as soon as you can.

Thank You,
Amanda

I keep my NPC face with Monster Camp, but can see what my beloved had in her makeup kit?

So here is a very very basic dark elf. Mehron dark blue base, no shading, no highlighting, Mehron white for the beard.

Nothing special, just a sponge applicator and a brush for a quick "Monster Camp" level of makeup. I'm sure people working with airbrush applicators, real skill, and/or more than two colors could do a much more sophisticated job.

Attachments

• 20180529_202446.jpg
    20180529_202446.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 59
Thank you, the photo helps. If anyone else could also post for points of reference or examples it would be greatly appreciated.

Amanda

If you use a dark blue, dark purple or grey (not dark grey) color from one of the major makeup companies as a base you should be fine. They really do benefit from highlighting/contouring though to get the best effect.

On a side note has anyone considered a slight name change to the race? As it no longer is what people expect when they hear dark elf, which is drow or norse dark elves?

I suggest "Deep Elf" something close but signifies a change. Also can make it more of an alliance IP thing like biata, solunari, sylvenborn.

I'd make the proposal to your (our?) owner. It's a good one though.

On a side note has anyone considered a slight name change to the race? As it no longer is what people expect when they hear dark elf, which is drow or norse dark elves?

Honestly my first exposure to "dark elf type" creatures were through some of my brother's video games and they weren't black but more the colors we're shifting to. So it was kind of a shock to me at my first game to see a black dark elf. I hadn't played D&D yet, so I wasn't exposed to that version. So not all of us are used to that same background. And I'm totally not trying to be argumentative, just saying I had a totally didn't view point of them growing up. My nerd cred didn't happen until later in life. I'm a late bloomer I suppose.

But I wouldn't be opposed to a name change to keep in theme with all the rest of our IP. It only makes sense.

Also, technically, and this is me being a scientifically picky pain in the *** - the Dark Elves should basically be albino or near such, if they live in caves and rarely come out. Because evolution, lol. So we got our elves backwards :p

Muir Elves?

(Edit: removed some thoughts that google said were already thought by someone else.)

Last edited:
My first thought with the multiple hues was twilight elves but with the twilight books... maybe Gloaming?

Also do a Google check for any unique name created. For example, the first name that popped into my head was Darvish but a Google search shows its the last name of the Cubs pitcher (although that's all I could find).

Last edited:
Teir'Dal from EQ are blue and Dunmer from Elder Scrolls are grey.

Honestly my first exposure to "dark elf type" creatures were through some of my brother's video games and they weren't black but more the colors we're shifting to. So it was kind of a shock to me at my first game to see a black dark elf. I hadn't played D&D yet, so I wasn't exposed to that version. So not all of us are used to that same background. And I'm totally not trying to be argumentative, just saying I had a totally didn't view point of them growing up. My nerd cred didn't happen until later in life. I'm a late bloomer I suppose.

But I wouldn't be opposed to a name change to keep in theme with all the rest of our IP. It only makes sense.

Also, technically, and this is me being a scientifically picky pain in the *** - the Dark Elves should basically be albino or near such, if they live in caves and rarely come out. Because evolution, lol. So we got our elves backwards :p
My personal dark elf head-cannon is that they evolved camouflage to hunt adventurers and miners always coming down into their caves for resources.

VV comes from the only logical land in Fortannis, where the stone elves live in a cave, and the dark elves live in a desert (I mean, not for long enough for evolution to have had a hand in anything, but STILL).

Back