Discussion/Comments on the Moderator Announcement!

My reply was intended as light hearted but apparently didn't cone across that way.

jpariury said:
ITT: Scott is the Paladin of Chaos. ;)

I'm not a big fan of the specific names... they seem a bit silly and self-aggrandizing, but works for me.

Had to look that one up...good word.

Jim said:
Agahi said:
We where asked for our comments.

But wouldn't it be a much better forum if those comments were constructive?

Constructive doesn't always mean positive. I gave my opinion and cited past experience, don't like it, don't ask I guess. Sorry if my opinion hurts feelings :oops:

Actually, I have one other question, regarding this:

Why is the Publicity Committee Chair involved in this announcement, versus the chairperson of the Moderator Committee?

Just curious - no snark or sarcasm here. :)

You're allowed to disagree with us. All I'm saying is that we're hoping to try something new. Maybe in other forums anonymous moderators didn't work there, but having moderators who were public did not work for us in the past. I don't recall if you were part of the boards then, but the venom back and forth was excruciating, and it drove a lot of players away - old and new. It still does.

The publicity chair and I worked on that announcement together - but since he is sort of our PR guy I asked him to post it. He is working with all of the National Committee heads to help us improve our public image, and as the forums are a big part of our public presence, he and I are working closely together.

We might not agree on the current strategy, but I think we can all agree that driving away our friends and potential new players is not something we want to do.

It also didn't hurt that I had ready board access during the day and the time to write/post it. <chuckle>

You will be seeing a lot of announcements coming from me moving forward.

Cheers,

Stephen
Chair
National Publicity Committee

I appreciate the swift response on my questions from you guys. Thanks. :D

No problem chief.

Honestly, I have no problem with people being concerned. It only means the Moderation team will need to work harder to make sure they behave appropriately. I think they are up for the challenge.

Cheers,

Stephen
Chair

I've already seen some moderation happening. That's nice!

However, can we get those rules posted ASAP please? I, personally, wouldn't want to unknowingly violate forum rules.

how many "paladin" moderators are there. I am sure you can't say what chapters they are all from but I would feel better about my chapter being represented if I knew there were (random numbers) say 13 chapters and 10 moderators compared to 13 chapters but only 3 moderators.

From the Official Announcement:

RiddickDale said:
Greetings!

I am happy to have been given the chance to bring some exciting news to the community.

The Alliance sells itself based on the strength of its community. We are an organization that stretches across the country filled with people stand on common ground. Sadly, our message boards do not necessarily reflect that. Combative remarks and a confrontational attitude from a vocal minority have driven large portions of our community away from our forums, and it is the goal of the National staff to correct this and bring everyone back.

You may have noticed several new green tinted forum lurkers in the last day or so. There are nine moderation accounts in total (Each of them labeled as a Paladin of <something>). These will be manned by a team of your fellow Alliance players. This team will remain anonymous, but rest assured that they represent all of the different regions of the Alliance and represent a broad spectrum of players.

The National Moderation team has been hard at work for some time now developing a plan to reorganize our forums entirely and establishing rules that will help foster a more positive community and ultimately bring our players back to the message boards!

The chairperson for the National Moderation Committee is Michelle Stagnitta. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns they can be sent in her direction!

Yours,

Stephen Duetzmann
Chair

And

Michelle Stagnitta
Chair
National Message Board Moderation Committee

Bold added to answer Cpt's question.

Cpt.MarcusNelson said:
how many "paladin" moderators are there. I am sure you can't say what chapters they are all from but I would feel better about my chapter being represented if I knew there were (random numbers) say 13 chapters and 10 moderators compared to 13 chapters but only 3 moderators.

Additionally, from the front page you can click on global moderators at the bottom and see them all.

Totally a valid question. Not every chapter is represented but I think we have a decent cross-section; there are moderators from both coasts and in-between.

And yes you can see the listing of who all the moderators are at the bottom. They are all the ones in green. A total of 9 - earth, air, fire, water, death, life, order, chaos and time.

Yeah, a little campy but we wanted something that fit the medieval theme of the game.

Additionally, we all took on moderator positions knowing that we have to put aside personal preferences, likes/dislikes, opinions and regional-based tendencies. Our job is to make sure the boards conform to the rules. We won't be using these usernames to chime in on discussions (or at least I won't). That is what our personal login names are for.

We're not here to pass judgment on any people or ideas in our moderator positions. We're here to make sure the forums are a hospitable place where everyone feels comfortable posting ideas and opinions.

I, for one, am happy for the anonymous moderation. When I first started getting involved in this community last November, it was very strongly recommended to "stay away from the National Boards" by several players at my local chapter. It was too late at that point, as I had already been reading them. I saw what they were talking about right away with heated debates raging on mostly unchecked. There were some moderation happening, but those who got moderated seemed to take it personally. With the anonymous moderators with public oversight, we should be able to bring back a sense of community and camaraderie.

I have only one concern that has recently crept up. I'm beginning to see some customization of the Paladin profiles. If they are to remain anonymous, having your personal "flair" being displayed for everyone to see gives others some clues as to who might be "behind the mask". I would rather see a standardized signature block and avatar picture with only a small amount of variation (perhaps differing colors) to tell each moderator apart from the others.

Back