Do work son.

But Texas is sinking... we lose a few feet to the gulf every yr...

Perhaps this is a sign! Oklahoma is being absorbed by Kansas and so is sucking less and less each year!

I shall still never return. *shudder* The Sooner State has officially lost my business!

OK isn't being paid enough...so the sucking isn't what it used to be >.< Sorry I had to...feel free to shun me for that one!

jnelson said:
AllianceCHI said:
But Texas is sinking... we lose a few feet to the gulf every yr...

Which can't happen quickly enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Contrary to popular belief, -some- of us are still using this place. :)

Jorundr said:
Texas is an option for me to move to. I'm getting the hell out of Iowa before my kid goes to school... I just don't want him to be forced to learn 2 languages if I move to Texas.

Ok I'm going to say this. I was born in South Texas and lived there til I was 20. I didn't know anyone who didn't speech english, and in my home town the was maybe 4 none Hispanic families. My mother is Hispanic and my grandpa who didn't get his citizenship til I was 12 spoken english. Iowa has more trouble with needing to langs then Texas ever did. :x

Pyro727 said:
Ok I'm going to say this. I was born in South Texas and lived there til I was 20. I didn't know anyone who didn't speech english, and in my home town the was maybe 4 none Hispanic families. My mother is Hispanic and my grandpa who didn't get his citizenship til I was 12 spoken english. Iowa has more trouble with needing to langs then Texas ever did. :x

I think it definately depends on where you are. I just recently returned from three years in Texas, San Antonio to be specific. Over the last 7 years, I have lived in TX for just over 5 1/2 of them total. I frequently ran into folks who knew English, at least enough to get around, but refused to use it and took it as an insult that I didn't speak Spanish. I encountered other languages there (some various Asian dialects, Romanian, Ukranian, Russian, French), but working in a military hospital, I saw all types of people.

The language "problem", if you want to call it that, is definately worse than it was when I first moved to Texas in 2001. Instead of just running into it with my patients, it was folks on the street, folks working in shops or stores, car repair places, etc. I would say, in my experience, about 50% of the time the only "problem" the language barrier represented was some difficulty with communicating, but effort was made on both parties to get the point across. The other 50% of the time, folks acted offended if I spoke to them in English, and even more so when I attempted to use the few words of Spanish that I know. The only times this truely, truely bothered me was when I knew they were fluent in English, or when I was trying to help them and they refused to acknowledge me because I wasn't speaking their language...in my country.

This may sound somewhat pig-headed, but the way I figure it, if you're going to move to a country, make an attempt to learn the language. if you know the language, use it when speaking with individuals who are from that country. Don't demand that they speak yours.

jnelson said:
Pyro727 said:

I think it definately depends on where you are. I just recently returned from three years in Texas, San Antonio to be specific. Over the last 7 years, I have lived in TX for just over 5 1/2 of them total. I frequently ran into folks who knew English, at least enough to get around, but refused to use it and took it as an insult that I didn't speak Spanish. I encountered other languages there (some various Asian dialects, Romanian, Ukranian, Russian, French), but working in a military hospital, I saw all types of people.

The language "problem", if you want to call it that, is definately worse than it was when I first moved to Texas in 2001. Instead of just running into it with my patients, it was folks on the street, folks working in shops or stores, car repair places, etc. I would say, in my experience, about 50% of the time the only "problem" the language barrier represented was some difficulty with communicating, but effort was made on both parties to get the point across. The other 50% of the time, folks acted offended if I spoke to them in English, and even more so when I attempted to use the few words of Spanish that I know. The only times this truely, truely bothered me was when I knew they were fluent in English, or when I was trying to help them and they refused to acknowledge me because I wasn't speaking their language...in my country.

This may sound somewhat pig-headed, but the way I figure it, if you're going to move to a country, make an attempt to learn the language. if you know the language, use it when speaking with individuals who are from that country. Don't demand that they speak yours.

I lived about 2 hrs. from the Mexico border.

Pyro727 said:
I lived about 2 hrs. from the Mexico border.

Must be a hell of a lot different there than here in SA, then. We're getting mainstream radio commercials in mexican spanish these days, as well as billboards and other advertising. It doesn't bother me too much because I don't deal with the public facing side of the business, but I sure as hell wouldn't take another customer service position down here without brushing up.

There's a big language thing here in Michigan too depending on where you're at. The Spanish/English thing in Detroit is about as bad as anywhere in the south. And if you don't read Arabic, the people in Deerborne get mad at you. :(

Back