Donations

As very few people know, I have constructed a building, a home for training a militia and educating people that will be ready to open in the next month. I don't expect anyone to donate an extra wing or a library, but we do need things to start. right now, i am the only consistent teacher, while my knowledge base is pretty strong, my fighting skills are few, and any other skills are non-existent such as alchemy, any spells, first aid, and any ranged weapon, and any blunt weapon. I am seeking any volunteers who wish to volunteer to teach the people or to teach them to me so that i may disseminate the knowledge to others. we will also be studying military drills and practicing patrols, and while thorador is a master blacksmith, we do not have all the weaponry one would desire for a military outpost.

The last thing that is needed is for the school, we could use some volunteers to teach some days so that more drills can take place while the farming is less active and we can get in as much education and training as possible. books are also handy, and any cash donations will go towards providing weapons, armor, books and food for those that arrive.

If you would like to participate, let me know. the location is serveral miles northwest of Hope's reach, about 10, the building is heated and has beds enough for about 6 people. I plan to release a schedule to the public once things are settled around the next market day

James,

While I am sure your intentions are noble, it sounds to me like you are trying to build your own private army/militia.

Hope's Reach already has a militia, if you really want to increase the security of the region, I would encourage you to work with the already established militia leaders, and would be glad to put you in touch with them.

If Harbor's Far is indeed seeking to build up their own military army/militia within the Hope's Reach region, outside of the already existing militia, then you must give your proposal to the Guardians directly before any such training and work can be done.

Best Regards,

McGregor
Guardian of Hope's Reach

Really? there is a militia? a civilian militia? I have never seen nor heard of them, and i know i am inexperienced, but from talks with the Baron, i was under the impression he did not know of a civilian militia either. but yes, i would like to be in touch with them.

suit yourself in thinking what you would like about us, but you thought the same thing before. I would like to keep the normal people who support us by farming, by fishing, by building and repairing taverns as safe as possible. when the shepherd attacked, who made sure all the non-adventurers got back to their homes safely? It sure wasn't you.

This school will be where people can learn how to wield any weapon, fight in a group as well as the cutting edge in modern science and technical agricultural theory, and basic to advanced mathematics.

I would like My building to also be a place where people can gather and take shelter when under attack, as the walls are thick, the doors are heavy, there are stocks of food, and places to sleep. all I have to do is put some towers and make the roof more sturdy and it can become an outpost.

I do not wish to be separate from what goes on in Hope's Reach, I wish to help out. And I asked permission of the Baron.

Just to clarify, I am running the administrative part of the building, but i would much rather someone more well versed in the military be running the militia side of things, i just happen to have the most time on my hands out of those of us in Harbors Far

-James the Inconceivable of Harbors Far

I'd love to help out in any way possible. Very soon I'll be able to teach the art of throwing weapons, applying first aid, and wielding more than one weapon in battle.

There 'as been talk of a militia in the past though per'aps not so recently. I'm unaware of wot's been 'appening with them but I do remember talk of forming one. I actually support the idea of a school and if 'Arbors Far wants to foot the bill or take care of the trainin' then I see no 'arm in it. Training is only one part of wot goes into a militia. for instance, wot 'appens when they're done? When they've learned 'ow to defend themselves? I propose that James and 'Arbors Far be allowed to run this school and 'elp coordinate the teachin'. Then, when they're done these men can transfer t' the real militia which the guardians can oversee themselves if they wish. Wot we need now, more than anything else, is organization. Do we 'ave someone ready to take charge of these men when their trainin's complete?

Also, I would like to say that Mcgregor is doin' 'is best t' 'elp us all. I've seen 'im give food to those who 'ad none and give freely of 'is time again and again. I 'ave also seen the men of 'Arbors Far, James included, fight alongside us all should one just ask.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need t' work together. Slingin' insults is the quickest way to break a group apart- and that's wot we are. We are ALL a group, a communi'y workin' together t' stop this corruption from continuing. While we fight amongst ourselves undead break into 'omes and destroy lives. I realize it's 'ard to trust each other sometimes but if we ever want t' create change we need to put aside these things for the greater good. This isn't a popularity contest. It's not about who 'as the most friends. It's about wot we need to do to get our land back. We need to stand together and rise above those things.

THAT is 'ow we can guarantee our victory against this damned evil we fight day after day!

-Miss Alyce Sharp

Master James--

The hospitality and camaraderie that Harbor's Far showed me makes me believe that this is something that the group could get together.

The coordination that we fought with side by side as a group was also one that I believe this group could step up as THE militia of the area. I have never been to Hope's Reach but from what I have heard the only trace of a militia were on the tongues of adventurers.

With fighting and battle tactics all that I have known for my life, I would like to offer myself as one who could take the Military operations under my eye in cooperation with you.

I will likely be able to teach anyone to fight with any weapon, one at a time and without shield.

If this is something that you would like to pursue I would as well.

With honor and a swift Strike

Ur'ok Kal

You're always welcome Ur'ok Kal, and i would be honored if you would allow me to call you brother. your bravery and strength certainly was a mighty asset, and any man who would learn from you i bet would inherit such. you seem to be more natural a leader too, which would also help haha.

It seems as if it is guaranteed death to try to travel back to where I came. I would be honored to be called and to call you brother. If Harbor's Far as a whole will have me, I would be honored to fight and stand by them as brothers as well.

Ur'ok Kal

James,

The fact that a standing militia exists could actually be a boon to your efforts if your truly looking to help. The resources they have are limited to what they have been able to raise on their own with a few donations here and there from myself and some of the others in town and their organization is still shaping up and at this stage is mostly held in clusters of farmsteads and smaller villages. In my work the last year and a half, i have worked with the militia to keep them aware of threats and try to build safety plans and fallback positions should we ever fail to contain an incursion. The militias other primary goal is to give advance warning of any threats.

Simply put, I haven't made updates because I don't think its my place to speak for them or to lead them. I know McGregor also has worked with them on his own from time to time. They worked with me to coordinate then Commander, now Baron, Iden's troops withdraw from the area and the resulting recursion by the corrupt in the spring and by all accounts did quite well for themselves in minimizing casualties until the Guardians and adventurers returned to take up the brunt of the fighting once more. I will give them information and support on demand or in case of emergency and as I know quite a few personally. I'm sure a bit of training couldn't hurt them and many would most likely volunteer if the training was available, free, and easy to access.

These are not professional soldiers but many have served their time of service to the crown and already know some basic weapon skills and in some cases effective small unit tactics applicable for fending off small corrupt scout groups but not sufficient for major action. I stress to you most strongly, these people are farmers, shopkeepers, and tradespeople not soldiers and not adventurers. They make a living by working hard everyday and don't have a lot of spare time to spend traveling to schools, learning magics, or advanced weapon skills. If they choose to do so it is in their already limited leisure time that they are volunteering to protect theirs and their neighbors families not for use in full scale battle. I can hardly think we will train an effective army able to hold off any serious incursion where the King's men can only manage the task with the grand fortress at the anvil. This is not to serve as an attack on them but to try to stay in the realm of reality, they can could man fixed positions, possibly manage egress and cover the civilian retreat. Point of fact, in my opinion they will fight to on to a spirit if they think their families and homes are threatened but only in that case.

In my opinion your best bet is to work on a system by which adventurers can have advance warning of incursions and everyone in the area has a bolt hole should things get bad. Light houses or more cheaply signal fires and a few towers can take care of the advance warning, safe houses is a harder point to contend with and is why Guardian Mcgregor has stressed the importance of building a wall around the main village in the area. I think properly supplied with arrows and stones the militia could hold the wall for a while. Hopefully we can contain whatever threatens them and beat back the assault. It does put our eggs in one basket but needs must when the storm drives the sails. This does not address the problem of the more far flung farmsteads but thats a problem best taken up later because its a long discussion.

As for the Baron's not having a full awareness of the region, cut the man some slack, he just came back from months long excursions looking for Prince Talen and has just arrived here. He might not have been aware of all the details at the time and while he's granted you permission, the expense may not be worth the effort without the support of the already standing militia. The idea of this outpost is a good one but to truly make a large impact it needs replication several time over to be more geographically accessible to all the folks in Hopes Reach. For now though your likely to draw several people during slow season to work with if you can offer free training and that can't hurt.

I can put you in touch with some of them if you like or likely they may contact you of their own volition since you've publicly stated a desire to help them. The people of hopes reach are the hardy ones, the ones who didn't run and chose to make a go of it with us. My advice, keep it simple because they have lives to lead outside these plans, keep them in mind and seek their consensus because they are volunteers and likely to ignore you entirely if you don't.

Fern Woods
Sheriff of Hopes Reach

the idea is that this will not be a military battle force to take on the corrupt, this would be purely volunteer, and because it is the slow season i expect it might be busy as we will provide free food, drink and training. this is a purely privately funded matter but it is here to belong to the farmers of the area so they can have a fortified building to go to if need be. this is why i was reaching out to the other people, because i myself can't properly equip them except for practice and training. And of course, this is all voluntary. anyone who takes shelter at the building doesn't have to learn anything, and people don't have to take shelter at the building to be taught.

but i really hadn't heard anything of this militia, and i would be happy to be put into touch with them. maybe when i make enough gold i can make another outpost farther away from the corrupt lines.

Sadly i hadn't heard of the wall either! that is an idea i hadn't really considered, as one building was expensive enough, and getting a few rooftops towers that would be hard to engage was my idea of a defensive position. That is the sort of thing i would like to support! Something that would allow the militia to hold their own so if we were away the people wouldn't be broken by the various evils that plague the land...

anyways, i would like these things to happen, and will do all in my minuscule power to work this thing out, and am of course open to all suggestions on how to help out and what to do

-James of Harbors Far

I really like the idea of a wall as well, and hopefully if me and Tazoulti can get this builds group off the ground it will be very helpful with. I also came across a cave two market days ago that may be suitable for mining for supplies, and may either myself look into it or have another do so.

Also, this building we are building, I believe, though you must ask James first as this is his project, is also open for orphans of the corrupt war. We can provide a roof and food, and proper education. We wish to help grow and strengthen our community as best we can, and even though we have had some differences I think at heart we all want the same thing, I and I hope we can work together for the good of this community.

With honor always,
Thorador Boulderfist

I know very little about kids, they usually don't make good customers till a more suitable age, but a place 10 miles northwest of the village, consequently closer to corrupt lines and far from help or easy escape...sounds like a bad spot to put orphaned children. Thats just my 2 coppers worth.

The wall was discussed at the town meeting in july, right before the discussion on kobolts rights. For now, the wall will need aproval by the Baron to even begin construction.

Fern

AllianceCHI said:
I know very little about kids, they usually don't make good customers till a more suitable age, but a place 10 miles northwest of the village, consequently closer to corrupt lines and far from help or easy escape...sounds like a bad spot to put orphaned children. Thats just my 2 coppers worth.

The wall was discussed at the town meeting in july, right before the discussion on kobolts rights. For now, the wall will need aproval by the Baron to even begin construction.

Fern

it is just supposed to be a place where people can take shelter no matter their problems, no parents, we can give you a warm bed and a warm meal. no home, we can shelter your family for a while. weird evil things crawling around in your field...

i had business with some rumors about brothers of ours in the area that took me away from most of the town meeting, but thanks for the information. let me know what i can do to help

Fern,

As always your perspective and patience are always welcome, and I appreciate you taking the time to give a more full explanation to James. I am often busy with a multitude of matters and am unable to always fully explan the rationale behind the decisions and words that I choose to use. My thanks to you and your continued service.

James,

I am indeed surprised that you had no knowledge of the plans to fortify Hope's Reach, for I clearly remember you weighing in not only on how and where fortifications should be built, but also on your vociferous lobbying on behalf of allowing kobolds to live in the region. I would in fact encourage you to build your fortified building closer to the main village. As Fern indicated, the civilian militia are farmers, shopkeepers, brewers, and hunters first, militiamen second.

If you truely want to help them, you will also need to work with them as very few will be willing to accept help from those whom they do not know, and they will be even less likely to travel a long distance from their families to do so. This is one of the main reasons for the saturday training sessions, not only can they fill their bellies, we can also fill their minds with the things they want to know.

I am not attempting to discourage or stop you, but am asking that you take pause, and have a brief meeting with the guardians as we have some amount of wisdom and perspective to offer to you. We all have a vested interest in this region, but we must also act with a sense of deliberate intentionality. Seek me out and I'll buy you a beer and we can discuss in more detail. Until we meet again.

Best Regards,

McGregor
Proprietor of the Falcon's Roost
Guardian of Hope's Reach

hmmm.... sometimes my memory isn't exactly the best as lots has happened since then, so maybe i did discuss the fortifications. my bad.

the building was already built, all that's needed is the roof at the moment, and it was the only place i could find a suitable plot of land to build such an outpost. but as fern has suggested, i could turn it into an early warning station down the road and get another building erected for the schoolhouse more centrally located.

the thing's i want for a school house is a room for eating, a kitchen and staff to cook food because who can learn on an empty stomach? a room for study, and someway to heat the building in the cold. sadly that runs over 50 gold so its not an easy endeavor.

but i have time on my hands, and am more than simply proficient in paperwork, so administration and staff isn't a problem, mainly the gold

James,

Perhaps one building may not be sufficient for your needs, I have a few ideas that may be beneficial for all. If you are interested, I would like to discuss a potential partnership with you in this endeavor. Let's discuss the details over several beers.

McGregor

I am inclined to acquiesce. there are maybe a few other parties that would like to participate in such a project too, would you mind the meet and greet with them too? mainly Gorka expressed an interest in a school of sorts

Look everyone McGregor just called for another town meeting... :lol:

Fern

AllianceCHI said:
Look everyone McGregor just called for another town meeting... :lol:

Fern

Indeed. I think I'll swing on by and sling a few with McGregor and James as well! This talk of the militia is perhaps the most exciting topic I've heard about in a long while. Alas, I do miss the mandatory town militia days of my youth... So maybe it's a dwarf thing, but I believe everyone can benefit from it!

- Tazoulti Strongbeard

Back