Dryad Race

Wraith said:
Robb Graves said:
heh. c'mon mike, you should be used to this by now. i was excited to see you post this info mike, but suprised you did considering how some people react to such news. it's never "ooh neat how exciting!" it's "oh c'mon, this is broke, and how will i get to level 80 with 56 rits on my 30 point suit if you don't allow this this and this!" :D

It certainly does not help that any time someone expresses a concern about something new the inevitable response is 'Oh, you're just powergaming.' as well.

I think this race does look interesting, although I do wonder, like maxondearth, why from a game balance standpoint one would need to both ban metals via rp -and- make a -6 armor adjustment that does not effect Arcane Armor. Then again I am rather heavily biased against Arcane in general because I feel the proliferation of it does not help to improve the state of costuming the way real armor does.

Because they tried making it RP based with biata and we all know how well that worked out.
-bill

Maxondaerth said:
What about if the concern is: I, as a marshall and some time representative to new players, am going to have to explain to people how a rule subset works with the rest of the existing rules, or how these kinds of things affect their characters, but I can't because they don't make fundamental sense to me either? Is that valid or sour grapes because I didn't get the secret memo before it became public so I'm bitter about it? Hmmmmm....

Here's a hint, it's the first. Having done every possible position in an Alliance campaign, in multiple chapters, short of ownership (and I was offered that position at one time and had to decline for life considerations) I like to point out what I perceive as future problems for those brave souls who are still doing those jobs in the spirit of building a better game that we can all enjoy more. I was at the last symposium before 9th edition came out, and I know how big a pain it is sometimes to get people to put through something that needs to go through but everyone wants their own little touches put on it. I have no idea who's ideas these were, or who voted which way on them, I don't need to know that. If it does go in the book that way, I'll 100% run it that way and I'll present it to anyone who asks about it with the same enthusiasm I'd put in selling them on playing a hobling or gypsie, personal opinions aside. But I also won't sit quietly by and let something I feel is a mistake go in without at least having pointed it out so that we can at least be sure that six months down the road no one is saying "well why didn't someone bring it up before we paid the publisher?!"

I disagree. it sounds more to me like you are upset that you are not involved in the descision making process (ie, this is a mistake and I must stop it before it goes to print) rather than seeing what mike's post was really about which was "look, you're all going to hear about this from the people who attended the national event, and i am excited so i wanted to break the news, thre's a new PC race, it's dryad, here's some basic stats to be expanded upon later in the upcoming rule book that all of the owners (ie not you) have agreeed upon".

if it would break the game it would have been brought up before it was approved. when you read the new book, you'll be better able to equip yourself as a marshal, and as a representative of the game to new players about the race. if it comes out and is broken, and you prove us all wrong, they will make an addendum. if you really want a say in these rules there is a process already in place. talk to you chapter owner. if you want tomake the rules, become a chapter own / member of ARC or however all of that works.

pardon me if the constant negative reactions to all things the online player base cannot control gets old.

I don't know how I can make this clearer:

All I am doing at this point is saying "here's a new race that you may be interested in playing so you can start building up a new character in the database."

Many people have reviewed this and have commented upon it. We feel that it is just fine. We think we can determine for ourselves if there has been a "mistake".

We appreciate everyone's concerns but we really don't need every single player's input into every single rule before they are announced, or else we would never get anything done.

More details will be forthcoming.

Probly insinuate that people are powergamers and bitter about not being involved. I just dont want to see petty arguments erupt....just saying.

IMO nothing here seemed like anyone had malicious intent in the questions. If the answers arent known or secret just say so. I dont see a point in saying they are bad questions, when an answer would take the same amount of time.

Agahi said:
Probly insinuate that people are powergamers and bitter about not being involved. I just dont want to see petty arguments erupt....just saying.

IMO nothing here seemed like anyone had malicious intent in the questions. If the answers arent known or secret just say so. I dont see a point in saying they are bad questions, when an answer would take the same amount of time.

that was me not mike, just to be clear and no one blames him for my *******-ishness.

mike did post the answer: More details will be forthcoming.

if it were me, i'd just not tell anyone anything until the rule book came out to prevent this very thing.

All,

Let's play nice and keep in mind we all love the game and want it to be great.

Players, please keep in mind that the owners and ARC have talked and discussed these things TO DEATH. That very likely adds to the frustration of being asked the same questions over and over (and over and over), albeit by different people. There was one rule issue that I had a two hour phone conversation with the head of ARC months ago, followed by another 2 hour conversation at the ARC meeting followed by AT LEAST a two hour conversation with all the owners at the symposium. And that was just for one rule, and it's still under discussion/development. It kind of makes your head swim after a while.

Owners and ARC members and others, let's keep in mind that people asking whys and hows are excited about a new race and new rules. We're going to face a lot more questions going forward. Try to answer them patiently and with understanding and without accusations.

Scott
Owner - Alliance HQ
ARC Member

I want to be a Dryad that fears grand estates and the weavers of hedge mazes. All your clippers are belong to me.

My kin will no longer be the subject of your silly games humans! Even if I must burn them to free them! Down with Celestial Grow brand plant food! Destroy all bunnies, their cabbage ravaging days are numbered! My racial enemy is Martha Stewart!

ZAMG PLANT PEOPLES.

Stop all the fussin' and a feudin'. I think stuff like this is much better handled via email like...Hey ARC guy, I have X concern, and I was wondering if you could please clarify. Thanks for the clarification, can we got out for milkshakes?

Love,

Justin C.

Tetsu said:
Stop all the fussin' and a feudin'. I think stuff like this is much better handled via email like...Hey ARC guy, I have X concern, and I was wondering if you could please clarify. Thanks for the clarification, can we got out for milkshakes?

Love,

Justin C.

Amen.

Duke Frost said:
There was one rule issue that I had a two hour phone conversation with the head of ARC months ago, followed by another 2 hour conversation at the ARC meeting followed by AT LEAST a two hour conversation with all the owners at the symposium. And that was just for one rule, and it's still under discussion/development. It kind of makes your head swim after a while.

Ha. Totally my fault.

Tetsu said:
I want to be a Dryad that fears grand estates and the weavers of hedge mazes. All your clippers are belong to me.

My kin will no longer be the subject of your silly games humans! Even if I must burn them to free them! Down with Celestial Grow brand plant food! Destroy all bunnies, their cabbage ravaging days are numbered! My racial enemy is Martha Stewart!

This is why I love you.

So does this mean we can RP polinating the garden? My Dryad is going to keep Bee Scavengers as servants that go after Sun Li Kai's sweet sweet nectar. There is no escape!

Ooooooooooh yeah! The possibilities of absolute wrong for this race are endless!

I am SOOOO making golomkis (stuffed cabbage) out of your PC Justin...I think I'll make some pierogies with cabbage stuffing too!

I wonder if I can make a ranch dressing aura?

I can't wait!

Scott

Tetsu said:
So does this mean we can RP polinating the garden? My Dryad is going to keep Bee Scavengers as servants that go after Sun Li Kai's sweet sweet nectar. There is no escape!

Most disturbing image ever. The end.

Too bad they have resist binding, and not resist gift.

Sun-Li is not concerned, all his nectar are belong to the Vex Squad.

Ranch Aura?... I like it.... but I'm sorta partial to Catalina... mostly because thats a bitch and a 1/2 to call out.

5 catalina, 5 catalina....see what I mean?

Duke Frost said:
I am SOOOO making golomkis (stuffed cabbage) out of your PC Justin...I think I'll make some pierogies with cabbage stuffing too!

I wonder if I can make a ranch dressing aura?

I can't wait!

Scott

So yeah, Kelsey, I can one up that disturbing image by describing the following:

Duke Frost is hungry, and he would like a salad before his evening meal.

Overhearing this conversation, my Dryad, let's call him 'Saplinomnomington IV of Busherton' is happy to oblige.

Without hesitation he would proceed to preen his bulbs and leaves before His Grace and plop them gooily (sp?) onto his regal (yet icky) metal inlaid dishes. I would make some snide comment about my disdain for his eating ware, have one of my Bee Servants pick up the plate and move said contents to a wooden bowl, take a knee, and offer His Grace chopsticks. I would then explain His Grace was eating his meal from and with the fossilized remains of my past brother, Oakensteinerdimplebacher of Thistlelane Alley. To stop eating at that point would be a grave offense to my people, and surely be an act of war. Of course my character would have a noble title, or at least pretend that he has a noble title. His white belt would be a chord of white grapes.

I would do this all in a slightly feminine slurry godfather voice...

All these things would be repped by real food coming out of ziplock compartments cleverly concealed in a garden gillie suit. Complete with herb ranch dressing that could be chilled and extracted via a backpack drink aparatus thing.

So, if I were to use the phrase 'Eat me' in game, it would not only be appropriate, but literal.

And that is how you astound and mortify your noble. Have I gone overboard yet? I need to get sponsored by kraft foods, lowes, and better homes and gardens to actually be able to pull this off. Start writing you letters of recommendation now!

<3

Justin

Sunnfire said:
Too bad they have resist binding, and not resist gift.

Sun-Li is not concerned, all his nectar are belong to the Vex Squad.

Which means I get to snack on you at all times as Flint. I mean share your tea. I mean...oh the life of a soldier is a lonely life.

Regardless of the details about armor and such... my next character WILL be a Dryad. It is unfortunate that not everyone was able to see the people of this new race at the national event. I was absolutely inspired by their presence. ;)

AllianceCHI said:
Ranch Aura?... I like it.... but I'm sorta partial to Catalina... mostly because thats a bitch and a 1/2 to call out.

5 catalina, 5 catalina....see what I mean?

Ceaser Aura ftw (or Creamy Ceaser!) though I will admit Catalina would be more impressive in color and texture during battle.
Now-- how do we get croutons? I don't want to have to bring my own they may get crushed. Can we add that as a spell to Eldritch Force or something?

(lol- love those Dryads)

and so their racial plot begins in Ohio: Weedwacker Golems (assuming I can get Our Illustrious Owner to approve that...)

Oh man. Vegetarianism is murder now? Between Rock and Michiko we will have the whole spectrum of cannibalism covered.

I like the dryad idea!

I think I might convert one of my blank characters into a dryad.

Then I can talk slowly like an ent from the Lord of the Rings.

I guess I'll have to break out the fig leaf armor.

JIM

Back