Earth Carrier

"5 Earth" would do 10 damage to undead, or standard undead anyways. That is a fact. And you are right that it would do "no affect" to anyone that wasn't harmed by Earth. Which isn't really a big deal since the character could just pull the carrier and switch to "5 normal"

It would be more clear I agree if Undead cards said "Takes double damage from the Healing affect group". But that still wouldn't mean they are supposed to take 120 damage from a Cure Mort... The rulebook mentioning of that is supposed to be a reminder more than anything else.

My big question is this:

Why not just play the NPC the way it is written on the monster cards and trust to the plot team to correct annotate any effects, powers, possession of pie, etc on the monster card before the NPC goes out? They may have good reason for an NPC to take quadruple damage, half damage, no damage (except to banana carriers) or whatever.

Has it really, honestly been that big of a problem? I have personally never seen ot, or run into it either while PCing or NPCing, but I don't get to travel much. (not trying to be inflamatory at all, just really confused by this thread. :( :( )

As Madhawk mentioned, he didn't take double damage because the card wasn't clear enough and apparently the plot team didn't instruct him on it. That's all.

I don't believe the words "effect group" appear on any NPC cards. Any card that lists "healing" means that group.

Yeah, I know that effect group does not appear on any card. But, immune to ice, double damage from flame, these are clearly anything that has ice or flame in the title. Double damage from healing in my mind is, whenever something heals you you take damage from it instead and double that damage at that. "5 earth" is not "healing" to a newbie, you have to be in the loop... someone has to tell you that healing includes other things. Things that don't heal anyone ever.

Honestly though, how is earth storm healing... It's like Chewbaka living on Endor.

I have always though of earth storm as a long strange destroy undead spell, which is earth, rather then healing.
I cant walk up to my fighter and earth storm into his back for real healing, just like I cant walk up to my zombie and chaos storm into his back for necro-healing.

So does this mean that for all these years those cards that say "Takes double damage from healing" mean I wasnt taking enough damage?

Lugo said:
I have always though of earth storm as a long strange destroy undead spell, which is earth, rather then healing.
I cant walk up to my fighter and earth storm into his back for real healing, just like I cant walk up to my zombie and chaos storm into his back for necro-healing.

So does this mean that for all these years those cards that say "Takes double damage from healing" mean I wasnt taking enough damage?

The Earth carrier is in the Healing effect group. If the card says "Double damage from Healing" you do, indeed, take double from Earth storms.

Pg. 116 Alliance RB

"This spell will only damage creatures which are damaged by earth and may not be used to heal. Undead will thus take 10 points of damage per packet thrown (not20!)"

Earth storm is not doubled, why earth storm isn't 5 base and doubled to 10 is a mystery to me.

Probably because they wanted Magic Storm to be base 10 as well and both spells to be more consistent. Although it creates for a more difficult different inconsistency elsewhere by doing this. Oh well I guess you can't win in every direction.

Telokh_Amdo said:
I don't believe the words "effect group" appear on any NPC cards. Any card that lists "healing" means that group.
Right. If something comes out swinging "10 Purify", and your card says "Takes double from Healing", you should take 20.
Same for "10 Turn Undead", "10 Cure Disease", and "10 Sanctuary".

I want to swing "10 Turn Undead" :D

No you don't because then everything you could effect would either sprint away from you in fear or be shunned from you and what fun is that.

"41 Magic Armor" is a nastier call than you'd think. :p

10 Flame Blast is awsome

Toddo said:

I don't think carriers can be beneficial.

nope, they can't. Don't know if that's written down tho, East Coast JP clarified that for me a few years back when I was calling no effect to 10 life after taking the first hit on my armor and I had to call a hold to clarify why. Carriers can't be beneficial last I heard. I was just rolling with the thread. :p
-toddo

Hammerfist said:
No you don't because then everything you could effect would either sprint away from you in fear or be shunned from you and what fun is that.

Believe me I'm looking forward to when things turn away from me... And I might be able to keep up with them. ;)

Toddo said:
nope, they can't. Don't know if that's written down tho, East Coast JP clarified that for me a few years back when I was calling no effect to 10 life after taking the first hit on my armor and I had to call a hold to clarify why. Carriers can't be beneficial last I heard. I was just rolling with the thread. :p
-toddo

It's not just that carriers can't be beneficial... life as a carrier is useless.

Undead are unaffected by gift
You cannot be affected by weapon blows when dead

So it can pop your magic armor, bust up your armor and use up your shield spell, but that's about it. I'm not even sure if it works on death elementals.

Telokh_Amdo said:
Toddo said:
I don't think carriers can be beneficial.
That's not explicitly written out. This is what the ARB says:
ARB said:
Carrier attacks can never “heal” creatures.
I doubt there are any monsters included in the db that have Protective carriers, so if you encounter one, it's probably up to your local plot team, since they're the ones that made that carp up.

That's right. I said "carp".

Back