faves

Sir Wynn

I posted first !!! maw ha ha ha ...... well I don't really have time to say much,awesome game!!!!
love
Ben

Thank you staff for a fun Saturday! The first event is hard but you all did a great job.

I must say I was very impressed with the PC costumes. I only wish so many people "back in the day" had such excellent costuming.

I was also glad to find that while playing an unknown character to almost everyone at the game I was not left to feel like an outsider. I’m also glad to say that I look forward to playing Elderman again now. See you all on future Saturdays.

Michael Hynes

p.s. Jen says hi.

After being gone from the game for so long I was a little fuzzy on some of the finer points, so thank you for those who were willing to bare with me. That being said in no particular order.

1. Entering game directly into combat, Yelling "I need a weapon" and having not just one but several people offer up their spare weapons.
2. Having a towns person attack me shortly after and someone else saying "NO NO NO He's one of us"
3. Having four NPC's telling me they had plenty of money to buy drugs and that they would only send one with me into the woods to get said drugs.
4. OOG: For the he final battle some of us were just a bit shy of the level cut off.
Me: you're the smartest kid in third grade, unfortunately this is high school.
Steve: I have been in this high school for seven and a half years I'M NO DUMMY!
5. Seeing old faces, and meeting new ones.
6. Wick teaching me basic Alchemy and the role-play which ensued.
7. Trying to get angry NPC's to talk to us and when one finally would someone killed it after it said about two full words.

Thank you Staff and NPC's for an awesome opener, as well as a big thanks to the other PC's for making the downtime fun with role-play and such. Can't wait for the next event!

Yes. Thanks everyone for a fun Saturday. These Saturday trips are going to make me miss NERO all the more.

My Faves (in no order)...

- Finding a magic item for my first ever search as my new character.
- Discovering the utter uselessness of said item.
- Trying to sell an useless magic item.
- Getting called out by a powerful evil NPC: "and his hobling friend too!"
- Practicing my pickpocket skills on my paralyzed party.
- Seeing The Phalanx again and OOG hugs.
- Training with Koshi, really awesome.
- Training with Wik, Poalo, and Kaeric (sp?); Thanks guys.
- Playing cards with Thrace.
- Finding out what a Fey was and then saying "Hey who's that peeking into the tavern?"
- Free wine guy, Sir Wynn.
- Short mace thrown to the face.
- Getting crotch-shotted by Pantzike for wasting his potions.
- Dodge is the shiznit.
- Laying claim to a split of treasure while webbed.

See you all next month.
- Leonard

Thank you to staff, NPCs, and PCs for a great Saturday. There are now two Alliance games within 30 minutes of me. I enjoy being this spoiled, seriously.

I don't think any of my faves will beat out this one:

Little Duetz' moment of epicness... almost. Having half of NPC camp rolling on the ground gasping for air hearing Dan's tale of being hit in the eye by a thrown, cored weapon? Probably the funniest larp moment for me thus far.

Thanks again, getting to thump things in the woods was awesome, and seeing Syraandor return (and have an open enough schedule to return) was just fantastic.

~Kate H

Sup, Deadlands.

- Rolling with Jesse, Ted, Brian, Ginni, Scott, Dierdre (I'm sorry if I spelled your name wrong, I tried so hard to remember how :(), Will, and Tab. You guys are awesome sauce and I look forward to chilling out and gaming with you again.

- Plot says WHAT. Seeing as my NERO career primarily consists of chapter-hopping to NPC, having personal plot at a chapter was both new and awesome. Thank you, Dan!

- Playing the 'how many names for wild elves can we come up with' game. Conversations/arguments about Drak about said names. Good times had by all.

- And on that note, OOG trying to remember what names for what race are offensive where and to who -- and then realizing I have a character who doesn't give a damn anyway. :D

- Seeing Kainen in action. Feeling that there is hope for my celestial templar. Hurrah!

- Being on the other side of the fence! I saw a few of you guys NPCing who are normally on the other side of me. I am sure you were glad to get your revenge.

- Conversations with the four remaining natives going very, very poorly. I am amused.

- Justicar! I'm a fan of anything Metzler in the first place, but that character is awesome.

Thanks to the plot, staff, and NPCs for working their asses off this event. The effort definitely showed through and I enjoyed myself. To you crazy folks going to Caldaria in a few weeks, I'll see you there.

Thanks to plot for making a return to Syraandor/Deadlands awsome. I was worried about playing again after so long, but NPCing some how came back very naturally for me. I can not wait to PC in the new lands!

My favorite parts of the weekend in no order:

~Finally showing my boyfriend why I love this game and him totally getting it!

~The First Fort battle with the battering ram and the undead army kicking butt...until of course the PCs overpowered us.... Night fighting at the fort is awsome, and so cool!

~Being an air elemental for the first time was AWSOME I totally want to do that again as soon as possible!

~"1980s PG-13 or the current PG-13 standards?"
Last but not least, I enjoyed seeing old friends and getting to play a game I love with a plot team that kicks ***.

I would like to say thank you thank you thank you NPC's! Without you guys we'd just be a bunch of funny dressed people running around a camp site all weekend :D There are not enough kudos in the world for you guys.

I would also like to say thanks to all the plot people who made it a very fun weekend for me despite my very pregnant condition =) I felt very included in anything I wanted to be, and a few things Kai didn't :D

So, in no particular order:

~Soon after getting into game being led into a battle where I plunked myself down in a circle that was apparently right near a monster spawn point. Then trying to make small talk with said monster while it paced around my circle until people finally came over and killed it.

~The let's make everybody cry mod. That was amazing - I love getting to be a part of role playing where I forget that I am playing a game, and just actually end up feeling like my character does. I actually cried when Thrace died...good job Dan! :D

~Saturday morning discussions about getting bacon in the deadlands (which quickly degenerated, unsurprisingly) and where sausage comes from and embarrassing poor Paolo.

~Being named High Mage Princess Kai, and then just forgoing that for the title of "The Breakfast Queen"

~The moment when people finally realized that I was not a ticking time bomb and that I was not in labor every time I touched my belly ;)

~Getting Page I kill you'd by an undead who popped up right next to me while I was reading a scroll. It actually really caught me by surprise - so much so that I couldn't prison myself in time. Then getting healed and turning around to another undead rising from the ground, prisoning it and destroying it with my bare hands!! It really made up for the whole not being able to blow stuff up bit :D

~Fever Grey. The Fae I love to hate =P

~Just getting to RP with everyone in general - I really missed you guys!!!

Oddly enough, another favorite moment came today at my monthly pregnancy checkup. My nurse was asking me how my weekend went and I told her it was great, and that I had been outside all weekend, sort of "camping". She asked me where, and knowing that I was going to have to explain to her and the doctor the whole LARP thing so I could get ok'd to go next month, I said "Well, people look at me funny when I say thins, but I was playing this game..." and she interrupted me and said "In Kingston, NH?" I kinda blinked a couple times and said "...yesss". She then said that she had a son who plays NERO and who went down this weekend, so she understood and I didn't have to explain it all. So when I asked her who her son was, all she needed to say was "Gavin".

There has to be a "Your mom" joke in there somewhere :D

On Friday night, hearing that the keep had been taken by a "tall man with blue eyes." I know a jotun description when I hear one.

Same encounter: "Come on, guys! We're going to go storm a fortress then burn it down!" Pillaging is what Vansir do best.

Keely, knocking on our cabin door: "Ator, wake up! We need you to go with the other Vansir to Jotunheim!"
Ator: "Uuuuugh. Fine, fine... what time is it?"
Keely: "A little after nine."
Ator: "...NO!"

Fighting Gary as Draugr after introducing myself. He's swinging 25 Body and I'm needing healing after every 2 or 3 swings, plus trying to get past his wolves. Cinder then throws a Weakness, which Draugr takes. I can't help grinning as I drop my sword into one hand and open myself up for his swings.
"Come on Jotun! Hit me! HIT ME!"
Gary looks at me with both rage and maybe confusion for a bit. I leave my guard down and he takes a swing for 20 Body.
"No effect!"
He looks bewildered and tries to slay me, I keep fighting him back until someone Confines him, after which I promptly Eviscerate him. Best module fight EVER.

Skald Flamedrinker.

Justicar Crow.

Being told by several people that I am "famous" or "legendary" both in- and out-of-game. I had no idea that I was considered one of those guys that everyone has heard of. It was pretty ego-boosting.

Gary thanking me at closing ceremonies. Definitely didn't see that coming. I may not have said much, but it really felt great to be appreciated by so many people.

For the record, please don't think I'm unapproachable whether in or out of character. I may not be bouncing around and smiling and screaming across the field when I'm in logistics, but I am always, always happy to chat with people. Sometimes I feel like people think you have to be Gary or part of a certain old-school crowd to sit and reminisce with me or share our stupid laughs, but that's not at all true.

Anyway, I loved the first ever event and I can't wait for the next one. Thank you again to the Deadlands staff. You guys made returning to LARP well worth it.

-Shane

PS: I did think of a speech long after Dan demanded one, but it's really short --

Free at last, free at last! Thank you Gary Marvel, I am free at last! ;)

Ok, here goes. Honestly, the answer is pretty much everything, but I shall try to narrow down a wee bit. This will be a book, so feel free to skim. :)

Firstly I have to thank Gary for essentially writing all of the crazy heart-tugging amazing personal plot. You always keep my on my toes!

The dramatic opening culmitating in Nada's poem and then materializing in the "Deadlands".

Battering ram and the epic seige! We saved the Princess!

On the note of nobels, the nobels! They each felt different and interesting, and it was really neat to see their different reactions to different things, like Grog "Wait... was that a High Ogre?".

I asked Gary a few months ago if he would give me an excuse to wear these really cool contacts i'd found online. Little did I know! I'm glad everyone seemed to like them so much, cause it seems like now they're sticking around :)

Meeting Elderman and his "Hobling Friend". Talking with them about Fever Grey, and them not having to wait much longer after that to meet him. See guys, we told you he was an evil bastard!

The kidnapping of Thrace was just a perfect IG moment that I think threw everyone in that tavern into perfect character. Everyone is at one end of the tavern, discussing why Fever Grey might have just showed up, when he rifts back in at the other end of the tavern and promptly prisons and starts to rift out with poor Thrace who was all alone on the other end of the tavern on the way to the ward. Everyone in that room just charged towards Fever Grey to stop her, i've never seen everyone react so in sync before, right up to the moment that Paolo whipped his actual weapon at Dan cause he was so caught up in the moment (Which of course, was hilarious OOG. I forgive you for thwapping my husband). The mod after that and the roleplay with Thrace was amazing too! Stephanie, I cried so hard when you woke up sobbing and the first words out of your mouth were "Wynn, i'm so proud of you".

On the FG mod, we all got hit with a Paraylisis gas poison and only the two hoblings weren't affected. Paolo gets called up by Fever Grey to face his fears so poor Alek just starts going through everyones pockets and pouring whatever potions he can find down their throats. It might have been a "you had to be there" moment, but we couldn't stop giggling.

Paladar breaking down on the Fever Grey mod. I didn't expect it to happen, she's always been the strong one. It was really cool roleplay.

K2's personal plot, having her tell Keely all about it and being so excited she was excited because I helped write it. I'm so glad you had fun!

Along a similar note, Utities charging up to Keely and demanding I come along and sing for him. Demanding for a full minute or so while I try to backpeddle out of it and finally giving up, stick my hand on my head, and explain to Gavin I can't go because I wrote the mod. The look of loathing Utities gave me as he muttered "fine, your off the hook" was pretty funny.

Darius being there whenever I needed him, like magic!

Most bizarre waking up ever, having my parents rift in, tell me an increasingly bizarre list of things I had to ensure happened, and then having wraiths attack us all. Seriously Gary, way to overload someone who's been up for ten seconds. Loved it!

Trying to explain Keely's history to the Justicar and Princess, and realizing how crazy it is when you say it out loud. I swear, it started off simple!

Ever try to wake up a bunch of Vansir and one old dwarf at nine in the morning? Yeah... I wouldn't suggest it.

Pretty much everything that Drak said. Especially his constant teasing of Wynn for being a smugglar.

The amazing support I felt during the desert mod. Everyone was amazing even though I was freaking out inside. From Darius saving my butt when I was paralysed to Ator being my guard to Lillian and Paladar protecting me up and down the crazy hill. Even Rhaksa braving the Cerebral Devourers, which I think to date is the only thing I know he's said he's afraid of. It was so cool!

Resurrecting Lord Galloway, pure and simple. I had a hunch it was coming due to the Sun dragons involvement and I still broke down in tears I was so happy.

Not happy about Skylar in game, thrilled to have him back OOG. Very cool concept with the shared body's.

Ben as Zahn! I love you Ben, no one can do a menacing evil laugh like you can!

All the new people and old friends! It was so good to see you all, I can't WAIT for May!

It's odd how you can be in stitches all weekend long, but as soon as someone says "pick a favorite", you just can't!

Well, first off, it was fabulous to meet so many new people and to see so many people from Caldaria! I got some great pictures of everyone, especially from the Saturday afternoon wave battle. If you don't have facebook and therefore can't access the album I posted there, PM me a character description and I will email you pictures that you want. :D If you do have the book of faces, please take a minute to add me as a buddy and tag yourself in the album!

So, Friday night's wave battle - hawtsauce! Being on the other side of the battering ram was down right terrifying because of the shadows thrown up on the "wall". And the undead encounter that followed later that evening was some of the best fighting I've been in.

There are a few people that I am now terrified to meet in battle. Shane with that massive sword and equally massive reach. Jaimi - two handed longsword...'nuff said. Will - kid, you're too damn fast for me! and Sean...shiny axes scream "prepare to die!".

Speaking of which....Anything and everything that is The Metzler. From Justicar to Master Tebbi to sounding like he swallowed the rule book!

Logistics and watching poor Steve attempt to defend the honor of his apple. :lol:

"KEE KEE No0o0o0o0o0o0o!!!! Not the KY and the garden hose!!!" :mrgreen:

Mel Mel backrubs...hmmmm...

The first half of the Saturday night wave battle. Ben as the slightly snarky uber litch was just amazing!

RP'ing with Amy in the tavern as a small band of barbarians looking for some good war stories and beer after the Saturday night wave battle...only to find that everyone had already gone to bed. :? We managed to figure out that strange things happen when you fall down and that barbarians should never wear frilly shirts.

"Hey Dan, how many lives on this?"
"I think the technical term for it is 'metric-****-ton'."

But the high for me was Sunday morning during the wave battle and hearing a PC yell "Oh you've got to be kidding me! More of them!?!?!" I lost count after 12 lives on the low level undead wave. It really was a 'metric-****-ton' of lives!

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you - to the entire staff to working their asses off. I think I saw Gary sitting all of three times this weekend, if at all. You guys do so much for creating that fabulous world for us.

Were to start how about with the utter respect I have for the people who make this game possible npcs and staff you guys blow my mind every time. The time and effort you all put in just in preparation to this event must have been staggering. Thank you.

Just the way all the pcs came into the game with the poem being spoken and the battle that ensued I could have left rite after and felt as if I got my moneys worth.

The heavy rp with everyone all weekend especially the rangers and gotec.

Taking the fortress on Friday night and being so immersed in the moment that when it was all done thinking wait there really is a fortress here.

Going to sleep at 4am and waking at 7am and thinking I hope I haven’t missed anything yet.

Defending the fort Saturday night and hearing the undead approach all of them marching in step details guys awesome sent shivers up my spine.

Saturday night COVERED IN BEES who would have thought 7 sneaky pcs hiding in the woods could be so devastating to a wave of undead.

Explaining said covered in bees strategy to new pc “so when you see us all start to move up follow then yell when we do I’m covered in bees then just hit and run oh yeah try not to die” new guy response “so we sneak up and just before we get there we let them know we are coming?” “Exactly trust me it works”. Huge grin.

Really so many more but I don’t want to list every single moment of the event because it was all amazing. Thanks again to all.

~Mike

Oh god, that reminds me of another awesome moment:

- When I first played Sevaria at Caldaria, I remember her questioning the whole 'I'm covered in bees' thing and thinking about how foolish it was. But man.. after draining all of my spells in the fort defense battle on Saturday and I heard that call -- I couldn't stop grinning.

Killing any NPC played by Dan Beshers.

Getting Puriel handed to me saturday night so I could go play with the undead. During which fight I killed Dan Beshers.

~Joe

- Getting to be quiet and observant instead of loud and brash. A challenge, to be sure.

- Being the only PCs in Finn Castle for the first hour or so... And trying not to OOG laugh as people got all up in my face!

- Making the other PCs poof in with some crazy-*** poem that popped into her head... I'm so glad everyone liked that!

- Watching Galloway's resurrection. Intense.

- All things Drenten.

- The whole scene with the guildmaster and his wife and the Justicar. Not a good moment per se, but very well-done.

- Kovu!

- Watching other PCs' reactions to Nadarin and her little group. Interesting to see how we were received, who came to us for information, etc.

- Double piggyback ride -- first me on Nellie's back... Then both of us on Sean's back. Dan almost got involved too, but it would have ended in tears.

- Thrace and Leonard Bun-Bun.

- Having an OOG moron moment: "Hrm, why did they bring Galloway back, he can't help in battle, Gary plays both him and Skylar..." Fner.

- Subtle roleplay.

- Personal plot. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH. Way to give Nadarin a heart attack or eight! Oh hey, you have no control over your hand and it's opening a portal. What? Big thanks to Gary or Dan or whoever wrote all that.

- The Obliticar!

- Paolo's stunning mace-throw, hitting Dan in the eye, and everything that followed.

- Amie's dream. Yaks are apparently Drenten's worst fear.

- Manbearpig. Err, Skylar-yak-werepig.

- PIGLICH.

- "I'm covered in bees" -- hell yeah!

- A big huge special thanks to Mike and Gena. All I asked was that the tavern maybe supply some matzah for those of us who celebrated... They made me a bloody Passover dinner for me Saturday night, Manischewitz and all. You guys rock so damn hard.

Looking forward to next event like whoa.

Morai said:
Killing any NPC played by Dan Beshers.

Getting Puriel handed to me saturday night so I could go play with the undead. During which fight I killed Dan Beshers.

~Joe

Joe, I am going to get you.

Besides the fact I was sicker than sick and found out Monday I had bronchitis all weekend.....I had a blast....

Faves in no particular order....

1. Little Motley crew of elves and hobbling i love that they all looked like they just walked out of a pile of dead leaves...their clothes were ....nature-y. And they were sweet...the one with feathers on his cape getting drunk was funny.
2. Learning to dislike fevergrey :(
3. seeing Ginny. because well....Ginny is one of my favorite people in the whole wide universe!
4. Hanging with my best friends in the whole universe (ben and steph) thanks for Sunday Morning.
5. Really learning that fevergrey was a nasty jerk. :|
6. Finding out wynn got awarded the broken magic sword which Ben had made and me thinking that was the definition of irony.
7. seriously getting into my character when thrace was nabbed.
8. Galloway (SP?) getting resurrected and I got to play in the scene (awesome RP!!!!)
9. Finding out I had a real hatred for fevergrey :x
10. sitting by a fire and chatting with people about why they dislike certain races of people
11. Darius paying for food with a LONG HAMMER WHICH MY CHARACTER NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!! (had i gotten carried away with my happiness OOG i may have picked up ryan and squeezed him til his eyes popped!)
12. wanting to murderize fevergrey? :evil:
13. thrace coming back and resurrecting and then sitting with her and meeting Leonard who tells dirty jokes.
14. wynn doing the noble thing (even though everyone was telling him to just kneel to the evil that is fevergrey)
15. wynn's torch lighting when he publicly repented of his past crimes of smuggling! (yay torch of justice)
16. having a bucket load of potions after my very first PC event (very fun for alchemist)
17. koala koala koala koala koala (i always want to pet the ears!!! and have eucalyptus handy!!!)
18. seeing caldaria people always makes me smile
19. jaimi helping me so much with my character stuff and telling me what I needed to do
20. doug at logistics trying to help me by saying what would make things cheaper for me heheheeh
21. walking up to kelly and saying "i have no idea what i'm doing" and her being patient and pointing things out for me.
22. passover (sorry if it offended ANYONE it was NOT our intention I realize it is a religion free environment but ....have you ever had CHAROSA???? i'm just saying try it once!!! Pyramids of graham cracker HEHEHEH cute dark elfy guy)
23. the nice orc guy
24. did i mention that fevergrey is a big poopoo head?
25. two people actually asking for dwarven spirits and after finding out what they were OOG saying "uhh nevermind" ITS PICKLE JUIC PEOPLE!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
26. MEETING LILIAN!!!! I think she's one of my new favorite people.
27. Paladar being....sad after her return from fevergrey's stuff
28. the justicar's horned security guy (played by mark) i love that character!!!!! its swining a COLUMN FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD!
29. the final battle where team B (less seasoned warriors) got to kick butt and not get wiped out immediately and finding more than COIN on the undead...those nasties were carrying ALCHEMY BABY!!!
30. did i mention fevergrey must die?

My favorites from the event:

Seeing a quality chapter ressurrected. Good, solid first event. Thanks to the staff and the NPCs who did a great job.

PCing with my wife Dee,the hottest Valkyrie to walk the lands.

Hanging with the homies, Brian and Tedd. You guys make a long drive much more tolerable. Nothing like filking songs about Baron Rorii to Dan Lineaweaver's band's songs. "100 deaths bought back, 6000 Goblin Stamps!"

Rolling with Kelsey, Jesse & Ginny. It was great getting to play with you guys and getting to know you better OOG too.

Seeing Ator once again. He makes a two handed sword look like a toothpick and makes me feel petite! Telling old Ator stories is always fun, as I know the ones he doesn't want people to hear from when he was a 16 year old barbarian kid.

Squid heads! Drak hates those guys. For some reasson they instantly turn me into a death spell storm.

"Don't lose Rock's sword." WTF?

Sir Wynn. All our roleplay is so much fun. Him catching my eye and glaring at me when the fine for mockery of a noble was announced. Nothing like a few dozen smuggler jokes to set the mood.

Steak and beer and sleeping through wave battles. After 13 seasons of larping, you just don't feel the need to fight every battle.

Hanging with the tavern crew Sunday morning.

Sitting with Raaksa when they announce the fine for lying, and both of us saying to each other "We're so f***ed."

PC Costuming. Everyone looked great.

Not lifing Wolf...and then Raaksa eating his brain.

Seeing lots of old and new faces. Sorry I can't name everyone individually. If I did, this post would be way too long.

And the absolute best part: Having zero responsibility as far as running the event or the site. Yay!

Scott/Drak

Back