Favorite editorial cartoons: September 2010

bagley.jpg

dim

fitzsimmons.jpg

dim

MP0831.gif

dim

dim

How about a new thread for the failblog stuff?

Robb Graves said:
Fearless Leader said:
Awaiting an apology.

I know you're confused.

You do realize it's possible to find something funny while not necessarily agreeing with it, right?

Robb Graves said:
Fearless Leader said:

Fearless Leader said:
Awaiting an apology.

I know you're confused.

I certainly am. Are you saying that I am calling ALL conservatives liars? That I called YOU a liar? I certainly am disagreeing with their policies, as shown in the cartoons above. And there are some who I do believe are liars (just like there are some liberals who I think are liars) but I do not go around claiming that everyone who disagrees with me politically is dishonest.

Still waiting for the apology.

This is what politics has degenerated to in this country, sadly. Instead of saying "I disagree with your ideas, and here are my facts and logic to counter them" we immediately rush into "You're a liar, you're corrupt, you're evil" and so on.

Sigh.

I love a good debate, and it's one of the reasons I majored in Poli Sci and became a lawyer. I used to be on a couple of political bulletin boards too. But I stopped posting a while ago because every single debate turned into an insult argument. Facts were meaningless, and emotion trumped logic.

Maybe I should just stop posting these cartoons if it's going to lead to insult battles?

I for one find them to be entertaining....if you did stop posting them then it would seem that the few out weighted the many...but hey I just think they are funny...I dont stand on either side..

Fearless Leader said:
This is what politics has degenerated to in this country, sadly. Instead of saying "I disagree with your ideas, and here are my facts and logic to counter them" we immediately rush into "You're a liar, you're corrupt, you're evil" and so on.

Sigh.

I love a good debate, and it's one of the reasons I majored in Poli Sci and became a lawyer. I used to be on a couple of political bulletin boards too. But I stopped posting a while ago because every single debate turned into an insult argument. Facts were meaningless, and emotion trumped logic.

Maybe I should just stop posting these cartoons if it's going to lead to insult battles?

The issue here is the standard one, MY opinions are always logical and sound and well reasoned, the other guy's opinions are based on fear, ignorance, or religious zeal. So in all especially for internet forums it's best to just poke fun at all sides and not get to serious

What Robb said may not have had a cartoon affixed to it but it is no less valid in context of this thread even if I don't agree with his message. Political satire is not less or more abrasive when put forth in a different medium or stated as personal opinion by someone one knows as opposed to a faceless cartoonist you've never met.

That said. Robb, be nice. Mike, glass houses.

Now you two kiss and make up. :p

Fearless Leader said:

Sigh.

Emotion has trumped logic in politics since the dawn of time. Nothing has changed. At least now the emotion mostly only takes the form of insults instead of outright violence. See, the human race IS making progress.

Scott

how is it emotional? it's plain cold fact. the specific two cartoons i posted, are flat out lying. I even posted the video to show you that a hard core lib agrees that they are a lie. if mike wants to perpetuate the lie and pretend it's all good fun and we're all having a good laugh at the lie, that's his choice. I call them as I see them. I'd never apologize for that. It's sad that you would want that from someone.

Robb Graves said:
how is it emotional? it's plain cold fact. the specific two cartoons i posted, are flat out lying. I even posted the video to show you that a hard core lib agrees that they are a lie. if mike wants to perpetuate the lie and pretend it's all good fun and we're all having a good laugh at the lie, that's his choice. I call them as I see them. I'd never apologize for that. It's sad that you would want that from someone.

It isn't lying it's portraying a complicated idea in a simplistic form in the context of political satire. Such things lend themselves to exaggeration because that's what gets attention and that's what gets people laughing. Weither or not that is an appropriate way to convey a message is a matter of personal opinion and I respect that you don't seem keen on it. However, it isn't lying no matter how many times you call it that. Whether you believe it's positive or negative that there are people that are keeping more of their money this year than they got to last year it is still a measurable fact that with tax cuts the result is more net income. It is measured by the gross and expenses. Taxes are an expense. You are an intelligent individual and I believe you understand all this very well and I am by no means intending to talk down to you. I am suggesting quite the opposite and that your arguement is disingenuous.

Instead of claiming that there is no impact on the economic system when taxes are or are not cut for a group of people I challenge you to instead explain why it is better if they are cut. Your position of "that is false and has no inherent negative or positive value" isn't being true to the issue; that includes your own stance. You do yourself a disservice by not taking the opportunity to expound on your beliefs instead of discrediting others'.

All that said don't take anything I say personally. I enjoy debate to a fault. If you'd prefer I keep it to myself I don't mind clamming up. :)

Robb Graves said:

Forget the cartoons, Robb, your quote was this:

hey look, not all libs feel the need to lie about how the world works 24/7

How in the world can that be read other than "liberals lie all the time"?

Back