[.11] Fighter defences.

dontneednoname

Marshal
Why don’t fighters have any defences that are effective against 9th level spells but every other class does?

Spell shield.

Scholars don't really have any great defenses against eviscerate. Weapon Shield can do the trick sometimes but, generally if a fighter has you in melee range in combat and is willing to spend the capstone they've got you.

2.0 is designed like that. Fighters are good at defending against weapons and scholars are good at defending against spells. (Rogues defend against everything to support being behind enemy lines) This is a pretty core tenant of the class design. The point is to require team work.

Fighters can’t purchase Spell Parry with XP last I recall. They will need an item.

The monster manual assumes that a higher level character will have some amount of items to match their level. So it's not a terrible expectation to assume a fighter will have a spell parry.

Fighters don’t really get Spell Shield. They get it if a friend casts it on them, or if they drank a potion. But that seems it.

If you're interested in getting defenses to spells. I'd encourage you to pick up read magic and a 1st level spell for spell shield scrolls. Or spend some xp in the rogue tree for a dodge.

A straight fighter build really needs a healer to sustain them indefinitely.

Lastly and I can't overstate this enough. Doom and Corrupt shouldn't be all that common. (Prison is scary but, a pc hit with one is not guaranteed to be dead).

Given that there has been a significant reduction in Life spells in 2.0, monster stating needs to reflect that. (It does in the monster manual).

Your plot team/ monster desk/ and ultimately your owner should have a good understanding of that. Cause it's like a super important part of the change in the game.

Still no answer to the question. Why are fighters the only class that has to rely on others or items to defend against 9th level spells? Oh, and mettle doesn’t work against Doom.

Still no answer to the question. Why are fighters the only class that has to rely on others or items to defend against 9th level spells? Oh, and mettle doesn’t work against Doom.

2.0 is designed like that. Fighters are good at defending against weapons and scholars are good at defending against spells.

It is a design choice. One of the goals of the 2.0 Ruleset is to have a game that rewards teamwork. While each class is strong at some things they are weak at others.

There are going to be some situations where there isn't a one to one comparison. Yes, Scholars get Weapon Shield to protect against an Eviscerate but they can't protect against all the damage that comes with having multiple Weapon Profs.

If you want to be able to address some of a classes' weaknesses there are options available including dipping into other skills or getting magic items to augment your existing skills but to thrive under the 2.0 Rules teamwork is key.

Last edited:
Or if this is really a priority for you, you can go spellsword and learn some spell defenses.

Or if this is really a priority for you, you can go spellsword and learn some spell defenses.
So in other words be all I can’t be except a fighter

I'm not sure I understand what you're implying, if you want to play a straight fighter you have that option. You'll be great at doing damage and using blade skills at the same time it means that your Character has to deal with a number of effects to which you have no defense without some outside assistance.

Alternately you can buy Skills that give you defenses. The Alliance LARP rules don't say that you can't dip into a few skills and still be a fighter. A step further is splitting your XP more and choose to be a Spellsword. It's up to you to decide how you want to spend your XP.

Ultimately you get to do whatever you want with your XP, you just can't do everything you want.

If you don’t want to play a fighter, don’t play a fighter. The class is pretty popular. I have some minor issues with it, but it’s really good

I dont know what to tell you if you are upset that all classes cant be good at all things.

Pick a race that can resist spells if it is that important to you. Or work towards earning a weapon with spell parries. The answers are out there. They might require some level of effort however.

Seriously, listen to this guy. He loves Fighter and he keeps complaining about how many defenses he doesn’t have enough of. ;)

Nah I didnt use them all last time. Doesnt mean I dont want more... Once someone tries to oblit you while you are down, it makes you really want to avoid it again.

Question to the OP. What defense did fighters have in 1.3 to protect against 9th level spells?

Question to the OP. What defense did fighters have in 1.3 to protect against 9th level spells?

Magic items to make up for the lack? Cloak/EE items? I mean..it wasn't a good system, I'm glad it changed, but that's how they did it before.

True but spell Parry does exactly the same thing in 2.0. the op was saying they can't get by without magic items as a fighter even though the same issue existed in 1.3, now you just don't get things for free, either requiring something to power the defense or getting it from others, which expands on the "no one person can do everything" mentality of 2.0. do you know how many casters wish they had an infinite source of damage? The answer is most, and it's the same argument the other way.

Being invincible is a terrible system. Everyone needs to be vulnerable against something.

Rogues are the least vulnerable, but they’re either going to be sub-optimal fighters at range, or they’re going to be in enemy territory for flanks.

Back