First Event: NPC/PC?

The Mrs and I NPCed about 3 events before we went with our PCs. We liked PCing a lot but we also agreed to NPC every third or fourth event we play at. So if HQ has eight events we'll NPC two. Not only does it save cash, but its also fun and its a good way to start building up a new character from what I've learned. Gobbies going toward new PCs can help get a starter off their feet and its easier to play with a 60 build character than a 15.Besides that nothing says fun like laying an ambush for PCs in the middle of an overcast night.

I PC'd my first event, and I've never actually NPC'd a full event. It's rough at low levels, I rezzed my second event, but I got to know everyone in-game and develop both a good reputation and a good friendship with a lot of other players. I also never missed an opportunity for good plot, which is really cool. These are some of the benefits of PCing first.

Note: I did know exactly what I wanted to play from the beginning, and now that I have played it I like it even better than when I started. Which was a lot.

There are quite a few things that go into making a decision about NPCing or PCing early events. A lot has to do with the Chapter's dynamics. Some chapters are awesome in teaching NPCs. Some chapters are awesome about taking new players under their wings and helping them get started.

I was fortunate enough to hook in with a awesome team in its early days with players who had done table tops and other LARPS and had done Alliance (NERO, back then) before I joined them. We've become one of the larger teams in the Alliance, and we are one of the most awesome teams because we are friends both in game and out of game.

I read the Rule Book, front to back (VERY IMPORTANT BEFORE YOU PC OR NPC) and had plenty of opportunities to consult with my mentor, Stephen Duetzmann, for a while before I wrote my character history and planned my initial character (thanks, Steve -- you got me started right).

But if you are not fortunate enough to have a team to roll with which has at least a little more experience, and if the Chapter you will playing is not awesome with new PCs, you might want to NPC. As an NPC it's easier to ask out of game questions, learn the rules, earn some build, and come into game as a PC with a better idea of what kind of character you want to play, and have more first hand familiarity with the rules and a little more starting skills than as a brand new 15 Build character. As a new player, you can always be that "I don't know anything" guy ... if that's what you want to play.

In any case, here's my advice:

Buy the Rule Book and read it throughly. Then go back and reread the stuff that you find interesting and awesome.

Ask questions of more experienced players. Lots of folks here will be glad to give you phone time so you can ask questions. While these boards are active with some great and very helpful people, there's nothing like talking with people who play the Chapter you will be playing to get your start.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes in the beginning.

Either PCing or NPCing as you wish, but play as often as you can so that you can gain experience and get familiar with role playing within the ruls system. The more you play, the less the rules get in the way, the more fun you will have.

That's my best advice.

I PC'd my first game weekend in Seattle. There is no way to truly illustrate the awesomeness of that experience. My suggestion would be PC and bring a friend willing to PC with you. It makes it a lot less intimidating with a friend as nervous as you.

1 YES NPC-ing is the way to start if you don't know 100% what you want to do! this stands true for anyone and is always good advice...

Next from your list i want to just say OMG WOW
-A hyperactive spore dryad
that would be so cool to see!!!!!

and next
-A painfully-friendly MWE healer
HAY wait.. that's me stop stealing my consent... grumbles,

no just playing
But ya , have fun with what ever you pick or have picked, and if you don't know what you want to do, NPC-ing ins a great way to try a bite of a lot of the consents, testing the waters so to say.

grumble grumble, Leata's not painfully friendly is she? not to self stop saving cute little monsters that try to kill you.....

Back