Flubberdoop Lore Ideas

Undrask

Scholar
I loved the idea we've got going on in the http://alliancelarp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16887 thread. I am waaaaayyyy more interested in blathering on about Lore possibilities though, and that needs a split thread. So here we are.

I PROPOSE that the noble race of Flubberdoops are not a race, but neither they a mystical construct. Instead, they are a form that is taken by other races to achieve a higher state of being, be it for mystical, fighting or other purposes. This higher form allows your mind to open to all possibilities, learn with the utmost ease.

To achieve such an ascended state, the Flubberdoop ritual incorporates the magic energy of a Pirit Linked item into the Spirit of the new flubberdoop. They bond with the magical nature of the item and create a vacuum that absorbs all nearby magical energies and repurposes them to the fluberdoop's mind. Any magic from an item is instantly sucked into this vacuum and nothing happens. That means the charge is blown or the aura has no effect, all the magical energies being sucked up. This phenominon seems to only apply to items.

Every night in their sleep, a Flubberdoop must be in contact with a magic item to drink of its magical energy (preferably the one they underwent the transformation with, for the bond that the item and the creature now share is one of Spirit). If they do not, the flubberdoop becomes distraught, confused, angry and generally crochety due to their physiological dependence/addiction not being satiated.

Holding magical items feels wonderful and replenishing for a Flubberdoop, especially when they attempt to use the item. This can lead to Flubberdoops expending several charges of a magical item to absolutely no effect. Some Flubberdoops have the desire to horde magical items, even though they literally CANNOT use them.

Undrask said:
Every night in their sleep, a Flubberdoop must be in contact with a magic item to drink of its magical energy (preferably the one they underwent the transformation with, for the bond that the item and the creature now share is one of Spirit). If they do not, the flubberdoop becomes distraught, confused, angry and generally crochety due to their physiological dependence/addiction not being satiated.

Holding magical items feels wonderful and replenishing for a Flubberdoop, especially when they attempt to use the item. This can lead to Flubberdoops expending several charges of a magical item to absolutely no effect. Some Flubberdoops have the desire to horde magical items, even though they literally CANNOT use them.

I'd vote against this.

From what I can tell, Flubberdoops are designed to keep people away from needing magic items or wanting items. This aspect of their character would have characters wanting or needing items even more than any given character does now, which seems counterproductive.

Pantzike said:
Undrask said:

I'd vote against this.

From what I can tell, Flubberdoops are designed to keep people away from needing magic items or wanting items. This aspect of their character would have characters wanting or needing items even more than any given character does now, which seems counterproductive.

Well they don't NEED them, they just WANT them. I like this because it makes them magic item greedy, despite it not adding anything to the group. Having a 100% meta compatable character is not only boring as hell but unbalancing in its own right. It gives Flubberdoops a reason to demand equal share from a MI pool for treasure policy reasons. It gives them incentives to steal magic items and make more interesting, character-driven decisions.

The best race in the game isn't just the one that lines up with the best meta, its the one that makes the game the most fun to play. /noobpinion

I dont know how fun it would be to play a guy who is hoarding magic items from his friends that he cannot, in fact, use.

This hypothetical project is not intended to build the best race. It is a thought experiment regarding what ti would take to convince people to sever themselves from magic items in general.

I was also thinking (but forgot to write down) that the ritual focus item would imprint some of its "personality" onto the Flubberdoop. Spellshield items might make them protective or have a natural dislike of casters. Flame weapons might make them more prone to aggression or have an obsession with fire.Earth aura might make them caring or have a hatred of undead, etc etc

They might not want the MIs, components, catalysts or scrolls that come out of treasure policy as they were written in the other thread, but if I were to play one, I'd be hoarding potions, scrolls, and alchemy of all types.

Maybe rather than items, they need to consume components, or ritual scrolls, or catalysts?

It seems to me, like it's a race that can actually help put craftsman-type characters to use, and a reason to put out other production (maybe to make up for any type of crafters that aren't present in the chapter population) instead of falling back on MIs. It would also help production to stay in circulation, rather than being merchanted back for coin.

If this is how Flubberdoops worked, I would no longer want to play one.

It is an intriguing idea for a monster race.

edit: This was in response to being obsessed with magic items in general.

I would think a race that cannot use the items due would develop an indifference toward them.

I'm with Lauren, I'd be ALL ABOUT all the production items. Especially considering rendered blades are a thing of the past, it's all about shatterable stuff now.

RiddickDale said:
I dont know how fun it would be to play a guy who is hoarding magic items from his friends that he cannot, in fact, use.

This hypothetical project is not intended to build the best race. It is a thought experiment regarding what ti would take to convince people to sever themselves from magic items in general.

I didn't say it was a racial requirement to hoarde them, just that it causes SOME to do so. Valid point, none the less though! What would you rather see?

And this isn't about making the "best" race, just talking about fun lore ideas.

You can do whatever the heck you want with the conversation, I'm talking about lore. That's why I made a seperate thread.

I heard some people talking about dragons or fey being the race template. I WANT TO HEAR YOUR AMAZING IDEAS.

phedre said:
They might not want the MIs, components, catalysts or scrolls that come out of treasure policy as they were written in the other thread, but if I were to play one, I'd be hoarding potions, scrolls, and alchemy of all types.

Maybe rather than items, they need to consume components, or ritual scrolls, or catalysts?

It seems to me, like it's a race that can actually help put craftsman-type characters to use, and a reason to put out other production (maybe to make up for any type of crafters that aren't present in the chapter population) instead of falling back on MIs. It would also help production to stay in circulation, rather than being merchanted back for coin.

That's a pretty sweet idea too.

Perhaps instead of the word "hoarding" we could go with "are attracted to" or "want to be near."

Would that clear up your concerns/make it fun to play?

RiddickDale said:

I never said that. The true aim is somewhat more loathsome. :thumbsup:

Frisco, I reject your reality and substitute my own! :)

First off, name change, someone, anyone come up with something else >_<

When reading the previous post about this, maybe it's just me but I imagined these being a magical bubble and that's why they cannot use magical items. Not because they don't want to, but because their bodies are physically incapable of using magics that it cannot call upon inherently. If they cannot summon it from within, they cannot summon it at all.

I was thinking something like a "Race from Beyond the Stars" that could only be race changed into with it's own new scroll and catalyst that's much like the Race Change scroll but has it's own specific wording and flavor.

Pantzike said:
If this is how Flubberdoops worked, I would no longer want to play one.

It is an intriguing idea for a monster race.

edit: This was in response to being obsessed with magic items in general.

I would think a race that cannot use the items due would develop an indifference toward them.

I'm with Lauren, I'd be ALL ABOUT all the production items. Especially considering rendered blades are a thing of the past, it's all about shatterable stuff now.

I just thought the idea of them feelingnice when they were touching was kind of a fun/anti-biata/lore-matchy deal, but I'm not married to the idea :D

I would love to see what ideas yo havethough! SPREAD YOUR WINGS AND SOAR

Kantil said:
Frisco, I reject your reality and substitute my own! :)

First off, name change, someone, anyone come up with something else >_<

When reading the previous post about this, maybe it's just me but I imagined these being a magical bubble and that's why they cannot use magical items. Not because they don't want to, but because their bodies are physically incapable of using magics that it cannot call upon inherently. If they cannot summon it from within, they cannot summon it at all.

I was thinking something like a "Race from Beyond the Stars" that could only be race changed into with it's own new scroll and catalyst that's much like the Race Change scroll but has it's own specific wording and flavor.

I dig it! But then how are they effected by magic? Does the bubble effect stuff coming in or...?

Race beyond the stars, eh? I like the idea... aliens in a fantasy game hah!

Dave,

I kinda like the idea of a Starborn race or something of the like.

I could kinda see them as a race change only race, or something similar. There's a visual effect to the Starborn ritual that causes a meteor shower in the relatively immediate area (city, barony, what have you).

Frisco,

I'd go with some of the other races' alcohol effects you find in other games. There are games that have alcohols with a Sleep effect of a Purify Effect. I think it'd be worthwhile to give the race an intoxicate effect when holding a magic item. Not a 10 minute count, but just as long as they hold/possess it. Hopefully that'd be enough to discourage continual hording, but not enough to kill PCs.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Dragonborn / Dragon blooded ideas that've been passed around. I wouldn't mind seeing some more reptilians running around.

The Magical Bubble that they are, doesn't effect anything coming in unless you give them Resist Magic as a definitive racial. Which isn't a bad thing.

The real question is, does their "No MI" rule affect only activatable items or are we talking no outside magics at all? No DAs? No CSS? No Regen?

Nothing that isn't a spirit rit on thier own spirit, and we can even toss that if the powers that be say the skill cost buff is too considered too game-breaking.

Well, we obviously know why they're high makeup now...

Undrask said:
Flubberdoop Starchild
paul%20tn1.jpg

THIS! THIS is why we can't have nice things! :thumbsup:

Back