Fog of Dreams

I agree perhaps with this shift our selfs have shifted as well. Now hopefully we can work more as a town than before.

Liddia FallingStar

I guess this is the reason my head has been killing me........

I would like to think that who I am is not dependant on the eddies in the mist. All good people should change the world, not look to the world to change thenselves

Which means, we ALL need to work on the change....

Yes, I agree.

Liddia

Eldandiril said:
Which means, we ALL need to work on the change....

Sure, but gather any three folk, and you'll get five opinions as to what's needing changed and at least a dozen ideas as to how.

-Padraig

I've got a few ideas:
1. deputize some citizens to act as Law Officials when the Regent or Sheriff are unavailable
2. set up a standard time and place where people can address the Regent with grievances and questions
3. get a distillery going, we've got apples a'plenty but no cider (unacceptable!)
4. post the laws in some visible and easily referenced place.

What do you think?

Dramthin Hartsboon
A Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

1) If you wish to speak to Effram you can always send him a pigeon or meet with him directly, all you must to is ask.
2) Since we as a town had decided in the past to be an outpost not directly under Arbor we only get a sheriff. Therefore deputies are not an option at this time.
3 Effram has posted the laws before, they will be posted again.

I do agree that a distillery should be constructed.

Liddia FallingStar

A pigeon is indirect and time-consuming and the Regent can't be in multiple places at once. I really doubt Arbor would begrudge the creation of someone who takes people into custody until the Sheriff or Regent is on hand to decide the merits of whatever case, or take note of people's issue until the authorities can be informed. The population of Briarpass is growing, are two men really supposed to know everything, be everywhere, and settle all disputes by themselves? Not to mention, were trouble to come a'knockin', it would be wise to have more than a single person as the line between Justice and chaos. As for the Laws, I think they should be posted somewhere beyond the dreamscape, many farmers and tradesmen don't have the time to search the dreams for laws and writs. Isn't there a tavern at the heart of Briarpass? Couldn't they be drafted and kept there for reference?

Dramthin Hartsboon

Alright, postin' the laws I can see a use for, but just what tha blazes d' ye intend ta do ta poor harmless apples with a 'still? Any properly hard cider's fermented, y'know, and even applejack's best made by freezin'.

-Padraig

Dangit, Padraig! I'm a soldier not a sommelier! :D

Tell ya what, pard, we can split the effective workload: you concoct the stuff in whatever alchemical or magical way you see fit; and I'll take it upon my shoulders to consume it. Deal?

Dramthin Hartsboon
A Simple and sober Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Tha could be arranged. Although I'm workin' on tha last o' my mead at the moment. Haven't a safe place to store a new batch right now, perhaps when I move next.

-Padraig

With this Fog of dreams change or at least all of us working on a change, we should take time to see what has failed and what will best suit our fair hamlet.

it is readily apparent that the sheriff hasn't come back or joined us here in many moons. we should address this problem at the next town gathering...but honestly lets face it most of us know he hasn't shown up so we need to fill this role.

I speak from experience in that this town needs guidance or some level of authority helping it on some level even if it's just in title we can direct people to these individuals so that they might accommodate whatever needs they have.

We stand today a broken down hamlet, we have a sheriff who hasnt shown and no real center of authority save that of "running to daddy" in which I mean bothering Effram. This is no one for a town to operate... you know it I know it.. it's just a bad judgment call and it's gone on long enough.

The easiest way to ensure unity in this town is to create a council of leadership. the needs to be 3 heads and 1 adviser that is seated in this council.

The positions should be filled by the Earth Guild Master, Celestial Guild Master and an elected official who will accept the job if popular vote gets him or her the position. The adviser or advisers as needed will be there to consult in matters, this person wouldn't need to be around all the time. The council should also elect a "High Blade" which would act as sheriff until we elect a new one or he starts travelling to these lands again.

the high blade would be allowed 1 deputy per 10 permanent residents of this town. Permanent residents would be defined as anyone who is here more then 80% of the market days.

I also think we should as a town create an "Unofficial tax" which we can use to fuel our town's growth...how many craftsmen dont have workshops?...how many craftsmen dont have recipes or materials?

this fund would also be used in the purchase of town defenses and ritual magic scrolls and components.

the guilds should work on funding themselves through arbor or adventuring, the town would have access to their own cache of items should either guild be unable to be reached or destroyed.

these are simple changes that we as a town can and should work on. I cannot for the life of me see Effram questioning these decisions as they would simply better the life of the residents here and should we have our act together and are not mindless monsters on a path of rampage of destruction who only look out for ourselves.

What would be the basis for granting the heads of the Earth and Celestial guilds governance? I have not seen them active on previous market days. Beyond that it stands to reason that their interests would be at the very least split between their own gain and that of the people. I won't speak to the sheriff's recent absence as he was a solid man until his recent absences. I'm sure we can all understand that events can conspire to prevent anyones presence at a marketday for a period of, regardless of their authority or power.

As it stands, I would welcome a more structured power system. However I myself would not be willing to take the position of sheriff as I would not be confident I would be able to keep the needs of my Order seperate from the town at large. That being said I would support the promotion of someone from within the towns ranks. My first thought would be to elect Hennesy as the local magistrate, able to draft townsfolk in the sheriffs absence and pass judgement on the lawful/unlawful acts of those in town.

There may be others that would want the job, but I do not think we have another that is as well suited for it. Hennesy has shown his ability to stay outside of town in fighting and is known to be an honorable and just man. Who else has the skill, and the respect to fulfill such a role? Perhaps Liddia, but her service is promised to the Fey (Horefrost in particular). Mariel might also be a wise choice, although she has seemed to me to be more of a warrior and perhaps less of a diplomat.

While I have no doubt your proposed systems have worked well in other realms, I have seen no real interest on the parts of the Guilds to administer these lands.

Lurin,
Leader of the Earthen Fist

Aha! Hennessy's name comes up again! You're just gonna hafta accept it, big guy, you're the only man for the job. You are, it seems, the only one around everyone trusts, or, at least, thinks is least likely to muck things up. Not to mention, with half the town comprising Mystics, it makes sense.

Though, there is something to the Earth and Celestial Guilds having some kind of say. Who are the respective leaders of said guilds, anyway?

Dramthin Hartsboon

And besides, I know it true that no man who wants to govern should be allowed to. And your reluctance, Lurin makes you a happy candidate in mine eye.

as the sun sets on this day I am once again at a loss. All I ever hear is detractors and nay sayers. I have encountered Lurin a handful of times and he has come across meek and mild, I've never met Dramthin and with no certainty can I say that I know marcena.

Yet you all three feel the need to detract from any suggestion that is seemingly made by me alone on how to move this town forward.
Really..what is the point of coming to this burg market day after market day?

is it that we're financially, emotionally or spiritually invested in this land.. why is it that your drawn here?

Humans while we may be silly creatures and a short lived one.. we have a knack for doing something and doing it well.. that is expansionists we find land we can inhabit and expand on it. we build outposts which become hamlets and after a time they become towns, towns become cities and then strongholds and capitols. Humans have the spirit of exploration even more so then Gypsies and when we explore we leave our mark, this mark is civilization..we live anywhere and everywhere that we are able to...we bring the written word, the spoken langauge to even the darkest corners of fortannis

so it is constantly a surprise to me that no one in this town does anything to move forward you are all seemingly happy with the status quo. tiny victories over the last year or so have been pleasant and the only betterment to our lives is less danger...not even no danger just less danger to our town.

we are chaos in motion, should a force of evil stride into our town and demand to talk to our leader..do we run to Effram.. and if so what if he isnt around.. do we simply parlay with this creature until we think we can kill it?.. what if we cant?

I'm tired of fighting for advancement of this town only for temporary residents and passer bys to reject any thing I try and put forward.

it is far to easy to simply detract from the actions of an individual...it takes greater strength and resolve to make the motion and effort and say what should be done.

when will any of you step up and held organize this chaos?

Thorpe,

I know when our heads meet things tend to fall in to what amounts to a personal arguement and I'd like to avoid that. It seems you hold a unique view of my presence. I have been traveling to Wayside for the vast majority of the previous year. I was unable to make two market days as my duties in alboria do not always allow me to travel. This was apparently the two market days that you started to make your presence known. As you can imagine, from my point of view it seems that you are the recent comer, but I am willing to consider that perhaps that view is wrong, perhaps the 5 market days I did not see you in the lands were simply because you were busy elsewhere and that your sporadic presence predates mine.

More importantly, while I think your proposals on how to configure the towns ruling council are well intentioned, I think they reflect poorly on your understanding of the people who live in town. Surely they are not all transients, even if I could still be considered one. The problem in my eyes is that your suggestions seem like carbon copies of places you've been previously. Not that emulating successful towns is in it self a back idea, but we must look closely on how well such a plan would work in our town.

Lets look at the options and try to keep this to a discussion about the merits. I have concerns about giving the guilds ownership and authority when they have shown no interest in such. So far the guilds have sent representatives to offer training/membership, and I believe them to be strong, honorable organizations, but from what I understand of their workings they don't wish to rule the town, their organizations are simply not invested in Wayside enough. That does not mean your idea does not hav merit, however I think we would be better served with a the election of a Magistrate. Such a person would have the power to pass judgement. Once such a ruling is made, I believe the town at large, and the Sheriff when he's in the area, will be able to take the nessasary steps. Such a magistrate would solve our largest issue, by being able to pass judgement he or she would be able to end the endless discussion that tends to be the towns achilles heel.

You mention the great strength it takes to stand up and say what should be done. This strength is required because you must be able to see your idea assaulted, twisted and turned, and purified in the fires that are animated discussion. Often you must be willing to see your idea changed from its original form into something that can truely work. So while strength is nessasary, if you truely wish to accomplish things you must also be humble, or at least capable of keeping your pride in check.

Lurin,
Leader of the Earthen Fist

Back