Fog of Dreams

Jorundr said:
Humans while we may be silly creatures and a short lived one.. we have a knack for doing something and doing it well.. that is expansionists we find land we can inhabit and expand on it. we build outposts which become hamlets and after a time they become towns, towns become cities and then strongholds and capitols. Humans have the spirit of exploration even more so then Gypsies and when we explore we leave our mark, this mark is civilization..we live anywhere and everywhere that we are able to...we bring the written word, the spoken langauge to even the darkest corners of fortannis

The mark of civilization has been the downfall of many a fine habitat. A violent one that brings fourth the fondly nurtured bigotries against the greenskins, the Romachal, the Vanceir. Wayside from what I have seen in my time there seems satisfactorily civilized. No one devouring their young that I saw. And I disagree with the notion that humans have the spirit of exploration moreso than Roma. You shall be hard pressed to find a Romachal that stays in one place for very long without needing to see more of the world. Our restless spirits cause us to be such by blood. Humans may vary quite a lot along that line.

I feel this conversation quickly turning into an argument.... I will remind you all that race is not a stands for choosing a minor governing body... but as the the capabilities of that person to be fair and just, honorable and willing, to protect the citizens of Wayside, of Turna... ready to throw down to save the likes of those who cannot defend themselves. Keep this in mind as you discuss this topic.

Fear not dear Eldandiril, not all discussions are doomed to boil down to a fruitless argument. While it can be noted that I and Khale, or Thorpe as his name may be tend to disagree on the practical implementaion of change, we both agree that change would be beneficial to the town. It is unfortunately far to easy to stay silent in such discussions, for there is danger in suggesting change in any land. Let us not throw away a discussion that could reap benefits for the land we've all come to love by assuming that any disagreement is doomed to become an argument nor should we discard our duty to help establish order, for if not us, who shall?

Let me then propose the following on the next market day. Let us hold a town meeting on friday night to discuss the matter, and vote on a Magistrate saturday night. Let all who have an interest come forward and state their desire. Let also those who feel another would fill this role better also step forward to nominate, or lend their support to such a man.

I myself would be proud to be the first in this endeavor, and I once again raise Hennesy as a fair, just, and respected man that I believe would fill the role of Magistrate better then any other person I've met thus far in Wayside.

Lurin,
Leader of the Earthen Fist

Nye, I do not wish quarrels on such a noble enterprise as the safety and protection of a town and its citizens. If I came off as such then I am truly sorry.

It seems I have been missed in my abscence. I am unsure when the mists might return me to Briarpass. Some have said there is a need for law in the town. I dont completly agree but anyone who feels they qualify in skill ,temperment , and desire for the position of sheriff please list yourself here and myself and the populace of briarpass will discuss your worthiness for the post. If everyone agrees your a good choice then I will tell you what steps to take to formalize your self in the position of sheriff.

Yours Truely,

As you all know I am a newer Member to the Alborian Healer's Guild, and subsequently the The Order of the Earthen Fist. My travels prior to this membership had never brought me to a place quite like Wayside. With that in mind I would like to say a few things. Keep in mind that this is my interpretation of the discussion so far, the conclusions that I may draw from others statements may not be what they had intended.

I feel that Thorpe has a lot of very valuable knowledge in the matter of town organization, due to his extensive travels. However I feel that Lurin has made a very good point, whether he meant to or not, that change needs to come about over time. The election of a local Magistrate would be a major step forward in organization. After this has occurred and the town has settled in with this new position then maybe a council, or some form of governing body could be elected.

This would allow the growth and organization to happen over time and not be such a shock to the residents. As far as the 'unofficial tax' and building of defenses goes, I feel that those would be decisions and ideas that would need to be presented to the Council (or governing body) once it is place.

My reasoning for this is derived from two main thoughts.

The first being that if within one market day Wayside elected a new sheriff and governing body this may be taken as a sign of revolt. Now I am not familiar with the hierarchical structure that Wayside belongs to, but I feel that if I heard a report that a town was building up defenses, collecting taxes, electing officials, and producing more trade goods within a very short time period I would be very, very curious. And wary.

The second being that if a local governing body was established and began taxing, and appointing officials immediately I (as a hypothetical resident in the situation) would be very upset over all the rapid change. What would give this new 'Council' the right to start taxing me as soon as they are able to? I would not want such a council to exist for very long, I may even speculate that there were seeds of corruption.

So in conclusion I feel that change is brewing, and it is needed! It just needs to take place over time so that all the wrinkles can be worked out in each step. Thorpe has a concept of how a strong town can be developed, and Lurin has a perception of the dangers that lie in waiting. As for who to elect and how to determine the minor details within the larger plan, I feel that this needs to be decided in a Town Meeting.

I hope that you all may understand what I have tried to address here. I will most likely see you on the 4th month of this year.

May you find warmth from Winter’s sweet embrace,
Kevar, Member to the Order of the Earthen Fist

Oh...

Tired though I may be I can still hear the restless voices of my friends, children, and subjects.

This land was entrusted to the adventurers of Briarpass through the care of the former War Leader I forget his name he was a gypsy dressed in blue and wore the insignia of the basketweavers and assigned diplomat from Arbor who at the time was Liddia Fallingstar.

Those two, with the aproval of the rest of the adventuring community turned that deed of land into a treaty of peace with the Rockfist Tribe and entrusted care of this land and its peoples to me.

It has been a difficult journey together gaining tacit acceptance from the powers that be, the support of the people, victory against the Stonebiters and so much more. I am proud of what our little town has become and the growth of its peoples has astounded me greatly.

We codified laws, we've fought the elemental planes, made peace with the twelve marks tribe, rescued the unicorn but still we have much work to be done. We have a sheriff but he may, in time, need replacement or reinforcement. We have some small taxes which I have not levied against those who pay in blood the debts of these lands. We have rebuilt a tavern, housing for the peoples and are soon to finish on an orphanage. If any of you wish to help with this project please contact Mistress Cournoyer.

I am regent of Briarpass but I shall come speak to all of you on the first night of the aproaching market day we can discuss ways to further involve you in the affairs of our Regency. I know some desire change greater than I feel is required but I shall give you a chance to make your case. I will also hear any grievances at this time that have not been resolved with the sheriff. I understand he was missing the last 2 market days and some issues have since come forth.

Effram Rockfist.

So I'm curious...what should I expect when I visit this Briarpass place in April? I'm thinking of doing a bit of traveling.

Casan Moreaux
Order of the Emerald Flame

Casan,

It would be an honor to have you visit Wayside.

Besides dealing with some political stuff some of us will be dealing with Anton who is a night of ice and has gotten himself stuck in a panthergast body and is going crazy. I can give you more details if you want.

If you need help geting a place to sleep let me know and i can set something up for you.

Togashin

Well Stranger...I can't say I ain't heard yer name before.

Im Billy Ray.. me and m'ah wife mary lou head up da welcim waggin. We're a pretty simple folk round her ain't ever had much use for much beyond da farm and whatnot.

If yer commin ta adventure you'll wanna set up shop in one o the 2 cabins that Regent Effram had built last yr, after ya set up come on down ta Jara's place... that lass Millie kin fill yer ear wit gossip fer a while.
Da sheriff in town's Master Ashaland Garrett he's a quiet type but I hear he kin make a day go bad fer just bout anybody dat sticks there head on the wrong side of da line o law.

Regent Effram, he's da reginal lord so ta say he's an old High Orc... he's good peoples if y asee him... gets sick a lot though. Your best guess is ta talk to one of his chieftans.

If yer new ta town yall prolly wanna talk ta Mr. Hennessy he's a gentle old spirit dat's made our humble town his home and he been good to us simple folk and alot of the towns adventurers look up to em. Some other people ta look for are Journeyman Earthweaver and Lady Fallinstar. She's a delicate sort and finds trouble at da drop of a hat but she's good peoples and she knows lots bout da town and has is really respected by da High Orcs Round Here. If yer looking fer a group I know master Lurin of the Earthen Fist is always lookin fur a few good hands.

Theres a couple o odd things about da town... its been a good winter heck some of the flower/herb gardens fruited already this season... thats on account of a nasty war with some fea or something. I'd avoid Gypsies cuz they bring undead and steal children from their homes if I were you.
O'h if ya see a Kobolt with a red mark or a bunch of em on their cheeks try not to kill em... there no law protecting em but we like the little fellers from the 12 step tribe.
and if ya see a big white/bluish dire wolf like creature... run like heck.

Say... you know neething bout them Brood Bugs?

Billy Ray

Gentlefolk,

I was looking for my friend Eldandiril when I stumbled into this dream. Usually I don't meddle in the affairs of lands I've yet been able to visit, but I saw something that I wanted to ask about.

Why can't a simple Sheriff, without the added honorific of "High", have deputies? Even if they can't be paid, which is understandable in some frontier areas, I'm sure there would be willing volunteers. I am one such, serving as a Deputy under Sherrif Theodin Hammerfist (who is now Squire to the High Sheriff, but had no noble title when I joined the Watch). We occasionally get paid, but we are, generally volunteers.

Please understand, I'm not criticizing your land's structure or policies, I'm really just curious, and trying to be helpful.

Alor Starbright Wyndancer,
Deputy, Lindall Watch

Master Alor,

I don't take your words as offensive. Your friend is known to me and known to many in these lands... I have spoken to the sheriff in the past and assured of needing no additional help for the time being. That said, I know that from time to time some help may be required and he was given the right to deputize at will, within reason, if needed.

As for payment, in years past the office of sheriff was not very well compensated. I beleive our sheriff will find that to no longer be the case.

Regards,

Effram Rockfist
Regent of Briarpass

Billy Ray,
It appears that you have covered just about everything there is in the town. I trust that your wife is making a fine recovery from her recent child birth? If there is anything that I may do to help make the transition of having another young one any easier please let me know.

Casan,
Wayside is a very warm town to new travelers. I was just recently a newcomer there as well, and found it to be most pleasant. A not on the Elemental Brother that Togashin mentioned, he is one of four brothers. Though I have only had the pleasure of meeting two of them, I assure you that they are great knights. This madness that Togashin has spoken of has plagued each of them, and as a town we have been able to rid three of the brothers of it.

Beyond that I feel that Billy Ray mentioned everything else. I have one word of warning; be wary of Kobold brews, they are strong enough to make a dwarf dance a jig while shaving his beard. I look forward to meeting you.

May you find warmth from Winter's sweet embrace,
Kevar

Casan,

This town from all of my experiences doesn't levy any serious threat to those who have experience under their belts. the threat in this town comes from small swarms. your abilities tend to be depleted through out the day if you try and be the hero to every small thing that comes about. often times I rely on the sword more times then naught but I have a full earth tree as well to back my play.

the typical threats to this town are varied sometimes it's goblinoids sometimes its brood sometimes it elementals.. but 80% of the times its one of the three that causes any inhabitants ill-will.

As for the role of a sheriff and council and similar, these are all needed and they need to be filled by the citizens of this town first and foremost. the only exception being a traveler who comes here routinely.. then they need to accept any decision made while they happen to be absent.

the role of sheriff should be rewarded with a stipend each month and the tools to do his job, if these tools include a magical sword then so be it.. those tools would belong to him and would also be compensation.

our hamlet is small but often seems to chaotic if a traveler comes to us and requests information he could be pointed in 20 different directions or worse yet be told we don't have that person or don't know the answer.. which causes us to look like amateurs.

Regards,
Khale Blacklight
Western Shield

I am vaguely reminded of a saying my Yara used to often use:

... Something about too many cooks spoiling the broth, I think.

;)

Elysia said:
... Something about too many cooks spoiling the broth, I think.

;)

At least everyone is to blaim :geek: , least, thats what dear granny used to say.

Casan! As in, Sir Casan? Casan, Brood-killer? Casan, Lich-slayer?! Holy Dragon! It's good to see another old Caladorian escaped the Void! Did the entire OEF escape? Are they all coming out of the woodwork?

Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Dramthin, I have seen some others of the OEF. Casan I met some time ago with William. I am pretty sure they escaped!

Dramthin,
We all made it out of the collapse of Dragonreach, some more the worse for wear than others. Most of us have pretty much quit the adventuring life, we didn't adjust well to the political situation in Damascatar. I still wander about from time to time, and have been looking for a good spot to build or buy a tavern.

Marcena,
You were a delightful young lady when we met over the summer. I hope you are well. Do you travel to this Briar Pass as well as Horn's End?

I wish both of you well until our paths cross again.

Casan Moreaux
Order of the Emerald Flame

Back