Formal Wylderkin Council

I do dress all of Fortannis and there isn't going to be on entry of coyotekin. In fact in the Arandin book there will be at least two. One on my culture and one on the culture of the sand coyote.

It seems the coyotekin you've met we're quite wild. In fact, I will admit, in a pack I feel secure and less tempted to run yet my instinct tells me to run to a safe distance when fighting alone. Yet, I fight it cause I know I need to be brave.

When I see pinkies be wasteful and overly feast and gorge and selfishly throw the rest out. I eat insects, snakes, mice, rats, and more. A still warm half eaten roast chicken thrown out sounds easier and more delightful and exotic compared to having to hunt a small mouse for a bite.

These are common traits a wild coyotekin may have. However they are all still different whether it be small or large. There will several different pages I expect on coyotekin, wolfkin, and lizardkin for they seem abundant.

So, as another example, if let's say Caldaria has 6 different wolfkin packs there should be 6 different sections for each pack.

As for the female being treated like property, the "squeaking" which is our wild tongue of series of yips and cackles, these are common. Females are submissive and much like property (unfortunately) in my wylderkin culture I still yip, growl, cackle, and howl myself! I can speak common, sure, but I do not deny my natural tongue either!

As for the "slaves to humans", it can be seen like that. Coyotes are known to be the most adaptable creatures. I was seen as a "pet" or "Slave" like I stated before. However, I am just loyal and faithful to my human sire. He teaches me the civil society WITHOUT treating me like a dog. We speak of it as family and not as anything else. I support this. That, and my family lets me be wild and never tries to settle it. I'm proud of my family and having a human sire.

I know perception is reality, but there is always reasons for everything. Everyone is different. I'm sure I'm very different than those 5 coyotekin you've met, yet I see reason in their behavior which you question.

So yes, you can tell and document your experience with that group of coyotekin because that's them. That's me as well (to a point)

I am not kin, but I have long enjoyed learning of other races and cultures.
I applaud the initiative of Corporal Zimps,
and am saddened by what I believe to be a gross misunderstanding.

Perhaps I may suggest...
Rather than something so rigid as a catalog,
Create a compilation of stories.
kInsights or some such.

Have each delegate be responsible for collecting the stories of the assorted Kin in their lands.
Any Kin with a story to tell regarding the nature/history/wisdom of their kind would be encouraged to share the story,
with the delegate acting as scribe/translator.

There is no reason any one group should be excluded, or why only one variant should be recorded.

I myself would be quite interested in reading this book :)
And would be more than willing to help with collecting stories and acting as a scribe for those in need of one.

~Lady Ahlana Antaro Silverbane

"Any Kin with a story to tell regarding the nature/history/wisdom of their kind would be encouraged to share the story,
with the delegate acting as scribe/translator."

I feel this statement brings clarity to the cause which I'm trying to accomplish.

Corporal Zimps of Odenis

I have listened to the many voices here and I think there should be lots of pictures in these books about Wylderkin... because those squiggly lines dont make much sense to those of us who cant read.
~Smokey

Last edited:
I am a Ratkin, but I was born and (for the most part) raised aboard a boat, with a tiger sarr, a gypsy, some kind of pink cloud-man, and a couple of human-looking people (though one of them had some strange water powers), along with my Ratkin mother. The culture we had on our boat was not that of any one of our races, but a kind of blend of various cultures, as best I can tell. Would tales of my experiences be fit for such a collection? I do not know of any better place for them.

Also, Zimps, you spoke of a "short application" to be filled out by any wishing to become a delegate for their own lands, yet I see no such application, have not heard what sorts of things would be on it. Has this application been prepared? If it has, why has it not been made public?

-Nazrat

The application is available to those through privately messaging myself. I do not find it necessary to make it public.

As for your other question, on one paw you could contribute giving your ratkin mother raised you and may have had shared or experienced a more... Wild or animalistic culture which you share with her. It wouldn't make much sense to include the other races cultures though you hold onto it for we are more looking at the raw culture of, example, the ratkin then, for only mere example, a ratkin who acts or participates in sarr culture. The sarr culture shouldn't be included unless relatable to the wylderkin culture.

* a soft sigh* Hm, this dream is a particular cacophony, indeed.

I am putting my voice forward in a rather belated fashion, I apologize. I was hesitant to speak at first, for being in the presence of so many that would consider my origin-species a fluffy hors d'oeuvre is unnerving, to say the least. (Ha. I guarantee, however, if any of you were to attempt such a feral act on myself, you would not find your hunger satiated. I may no longer be a young doe, but there is plenty of life left in me, yet.)

That being said, I applaud the initiative of bringing a topic such as this forward, Zimps. Although we are, as an overarching species, as diverse as our appearances, if what I understand to be the point of this endeavour is true, this is to gather knowledge for not only to better define and honour the individualism of our own separate lands, but as a common reference to those who may travel the mists, intentional or otherwise. A cultural study-guide, as it may be?

Though having yet to experience a mist-walk, I am familiar with the shock of suddenly finding oneself in completely unfamiliar territory. Before I left the place of my birth, I had no interaction with any species aside from my own, and even then it was confined to mainly those of the lagomorpha variety. Although it remains among my treasured memories the day I first discovered that the world was so much broader than the Warren I had only known until then, to have at least some knowledge of how to interact and what to expect from those that would seem of your own species in a foreign land could save some cultural 'stepping on of toes', so to speak? That could very well be my prey instinct coming through, however, as well as a personal thirst for knowledge. I am not as bold, granted more so now than I was in my naïve youth, as some of you born with cuspids, and preparation for what to expect is always appreciated.

I do also agree with the merit in literacy, as least where it applies to the 'council representative'. It does not, however, limit those who could contribute to the overall collection. As it has been pointed out, the delegate is merely a chronicler of sorts, and must be able to coherently scribe that which is being shared with them. In order to provide a comprehensive overview of how Kin shape the lands in which they are born, generalizations are going to have to be drawn, refining it to communities rather than individual stories. Not to discount the latter by any means. Perhap in other lands it is more commonplace for Kin to be widespread, to be raised by other cultures. If there is historical and cultural significance behind this, then it is to be noted. I am Wylderkin, born and raised amongst a community of like Wylderkin, and now out in the wider world amongst the other races; this is the perspective I hold. For others, I accept it will differ. Perchance, two versions of the volume can be sought? One to give newcomers and travelers an overall view, as well as another, to simply gather stories? Is this too lofty a goal?

I myself am a Ravenkin, I was born in the kingdom of Su Lair. All of the people there are kin, at least of the avian variety. Su Lair is a removed society, I'm looking for it currently, but having been raised there I know it's customs. These customs are somewhat different from what I have seem outside of my home, and I have yet to meet another Ravenkin or kin of any bird variety to compare notes to. I'm not sure if my experience is something you might find helpful, though I am happy to help if indeed it is.

---Nicolo

Nicolo!
You should meet my bestest best friend MadCap. He's a raven like you! He also gets awful mad when people mistake him for a ..well..y'know...cee...arr...ooh...double yeuh. But I c'n understand why. He's awful smart, and that'd be like callin' me a dog kin. I'm not that. Not even a lil. *sneeze*

But he lives on Mister Z's tower. Probly picks up all sorts of neat stuff when he watches Mister Z. But you guys should definitely meet. Just quork really loud, I'm sure he'll hear you.

-Mischief

Nicolo,

That would be most helpful and most interesting to hear and record. This is exactly the information I'm after to document and extend to those who will benefit from your knowledge.

I've never met a ravenkin but I've heard them to be very regal. I have one close friend, Kali, a very interesting and rare African crowkin. She is very talented with a pencil with the humor and language of a well practiced insane hat maker. However, some may say, what is a coyote without the crow? Haha.

Please feel free to message me with all you want to share and ill be sure to busily start my quill.

Always in Service,
Corporal Zimps of Odenis

Excuse me Mischief, but what is a Seearrohdubbleyeuh? I would guess that it is a large creature to have such a long name... but then why would your Raven-kin friend be confused for one? I suppose it must look like a black bird... similar to a raven, but obviously not if your friend is offended by being confused for it. It must be a bad thing. I'll keep an ear perked up for the mention of any of these foul creatures. We shall rid the land of these things... please do tell me more about them though so that I know what to look out for.

~Smokey

-The soft rustling of leaves is heard before a sigh of...disappointment?-

Crow.

He spelled it out. "C" as in cat, "R" as in rat, "O" as in omen, and "W" as in water. C-R-O-W spells "crow," in the written word.

-Zeth

you can speak writing too?! I thought writing was just squiggly lines... like a snail trail that means something. But even when you speak writing, it doesn't make sense. how can you "See" in a cat? Never mind I dont think I want to know...

The squiggles confused me to at first, in the end, it's just a matter of memorization and just accepting that the explanations are, what they are. "See" isn't the same as you are thinking. Each Squiggle has a name, much like you and I have names ot identify ourselves. The Name is also a reference to the sound the shape makes when spoken or written. It is confusing, I know, it took me most of a winter with the knight who I have pledged my oath to in order to understand and accept the rather foreign concept of pictures with sounds and words made of pictures...

I think I understand...you explain this writing in an easy way, even though it is more difficult than talking. I just dont see why people would want to make a small name like crow into a large name with writing. It is like another language, you have to memorize two different names for the same thing... that is a lot of memorizing, and I am horrible with names... learning to do things is easy for me, but names fly away from my memory like a bird leaving in the fall.

I suspect it has something to do with sending your words over long distances and insuring they arrive as you put them to the page, rather than how the person carrying them chooses to remember.

*QUORK*

MISCHIEF!!!!!

So that's where you are. When do you take up residence in my head?

Anyway, to your point on pets. I've been keeping Big Z for quite some time now. Should I free him?

-MaDCap

Back