FYI -- You're on the New Server

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kjtocool, May 10, 2009.

1. kjtocool

kjtocool Newbie

If you can see this message, you are on the new server.

2. tazoulti

tazoulti Scholar

I kinda figured you were going to need to do something like that when on I Friday I started seeing this error popping up while romping through the forums:
    "General Error
    SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
    "

3. Lurin

Lurin Count Chicago Staff

What if I can't see it?....wait.....nevermind :D

4. Maxondaerth

Maxondaerth Squire

Anyone else experiencing tremendous lag since going to the new server? Takes a really loooooong time to get pages to load and I'm not getting that on any other servers or sites I'm going to.

5. tieran

tieran Duke

I know I am.

6. Dave

Dave Artisan

ditto

7. Sym of Moria

Sym of Moria Scholar

Way too much lag time! Seems like the new server is an old server.

=)

8. tieran

tieran Duke

Maybe it just needs us to break it in... ;-)

9. kjtocool

kjtocool Newbie

That was expected actually. Had to run a database import that took almost 11 hours, during which time we experienced server loads ranging from 5 to 10, which is fairly high, and it'd be totally normal to experience lag in that situation.

Typically on any kind of shared hosting (GoDaddy, etc) you see loads from 2 to 5. On a box like we're now on, the load should be below 1, and hopefully it will balance out in the .1 to .2 area. Any load time over 1 means the server is behind, anything under 1 means it's able to keep up. We'll see how it goes, but you should see much better performance.

Fingers crossed.

10. Maxondaerth

Maxondaerth Squire

Seems much better today. Thanks!

11. Wraith

Wraith Newbie

Still getting occasional bouts of server inaccessible, but definitely running faster!

12. Jevedor

Jevedor Fighter Asheville Staff

yay for server technology :D

13. kjtocool

kjtocool Newbie

Please let me know if you continue to get those issues. I've been doing a lot of mysql optimization, and have a bit more to do yet. Some of the optimization requires services to be restarted, which could result in very brief (under 1 min) downtime. In any event, if you continue to have issues, try and explain what happened as best you can, and I'll look into it further.

Thanks!

Load times are under .1 today, which is lightning fast. Hopefully it stays that way.

14. Wraith

Wraith Newbie

I'm still getting intermittent server not found issues here. I'll throw a traceroute at it when I get home, and give you the info.

15. Dr_Chill

Dr_Chill Fighter

I was not able to access the site earlier this morning. Are we still having problems with the server?

16. Lurin

Lurin Count Chicago Staff

I'm seeing the same thing through Mediacom, it looks to be a DNS issue, if you set your DNS server to open DNS (google it) it works just fine as an interm fix

17. Wraith

Wraith Newbie

Yeah, DNS has not been resolving for about 12 of 24 hours the last few days, through Mediacom or the network at work.

18. kjtocool

kjtocool Newbie

DNS issue should be fixed, if you continue to have issues, please let me know so I can continue to investigate.

19. tieran

tieran Duke

I've just been informed that some person (or persons) are getting a server not found error (right now) when using firefox.

20. kjtocool

kjtocool Newbie

Thanks for the update, I've heard the same.

If one of those users is capable of doing a trace and can send it to you to post, that would be great. In either case, I'm continuing to look into it.