FYI -- You're on the New Server

I kinda figured you were going to need to do something like that when on I Friday I started seeing this error popping up while romping through the forums:
"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
"

kjtocool said:
If you can see this message, you are on the new server.

What if I can't see it?....wait.....nevermind :D

Anyone else experiencing tremendous lag since going to the new server? Takes a really loooooong time to get pages to load and I'm not getting that on any other servers or sites I'm going to.

I know I am.

Way too much lag time! Seems like the new server is an old server.

=)

Maybe it just needs us to break it in... ;-)

That was expected actually. Had to run a database import that took almost 11 hours, during which time we experienced server loads ranging from 5 to 10, which is fairly high, and it'd be totally normal to experience lag in that situation.

Typically on any kind of shared hosting (GoDaddy, etc) you see loads from 2 to 5. On a box like we're now on, the load should be below 1, and hopefully it will balance out in the .1 to .2 area. Any load time over 1 means the server is behind, anything under 1 means it's able to keep up. We'll see how it goes, but you should see much better performance.

Fingers crossed.

Still getting occasional bouts of server inaccessible, but definitely running faster!

Please let me know if you continue to get those issues. I've been doing a lot of mysql optimization, and have a bit more to do yet. Some of the optimization requires services to be restarted, which could result in very brief (under 1 min) downtime. In any event, if you continue to have issues, try and explain what happened as best you can, and I'll look into it further.

Thanks!

Load times are under .1 today, which is lightning fast. Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm still getting intermittent server not found issues here. I'll throw a traceroute at it when I get home, and give you the info.

I was not able to access the site earlier this morning. Are we still having problems with the server?

I'm seeing the same thing through Mediacom, it looks to be a DNS issue, if you set your DNS server to open DNS (google it) it works just fine as an interm fix

Yeah, DNS has not been resolving for about 12 of 24 hours the last few days, through Mediacom or the network at work.

I've just been informed that some person (or persons) are getting a server not found error (right now) when using firefox.

Thanks for the update, I've heard the same.

If one of those users is capable of doing a trace and can send it to you to post, that would be great. In either case, I'm continuing to look into it.

Back