Goblin Points

evi1r0n

Baron
Are we allowed to gift existing goblin points to people?

I beg to differ... page 147:

These Goblin Points are non-transferrable.
You cannot use your Goblin Points to buy Event
Points for a friend. Further, you can only spend
Goblin Points in the chapter in which you
earned them.

Goblin Points, once awarded, are non-transferable. You can't just give them to someone else.

Now, there's nothing that says you can't donate something and say "hey, Bob helped me put this together, so Bob should get 40% of what you're awarding for it." But that has to be done before the goblin stamps are awarded.

Well aware of that passage which is under event points and is worded funky.

Plus the entire passage is below the following in the ARB:

"Each chapter has its own policies about
Goblin Points. Most allow you to use them for
the following:"

So it's not so cut and dry. It implies chapters can allow whatever they want. Hence my asking on the local forum. I don't know how Seth and Dave feel about it at a local level. What's the official word? Since the wording allows chapters to come up with their own rewards and what not (I know we have things that aren't in the goblin stamp section for rewards).

I know some players donate things on behalf of their children so they can gobby. My gobbies are from time I have spent working for the chapter, which I would happily donate in someone's name...

I've got no issue with someone donating items in someone else's name, the goblin stamps don't exist until the item exists in monster camp (same for money, basically). Any items or cash that's donated could have legitimately come from a joint effort, but if it doesn't, I don't really have a problem with it. The chapter still gets the item/money and anyone has the ability to do this exact thing, using the same rules, and no one's feelings can get hurt.

I think that allowing people to transfer goblin points to someone else sets up a dangerous precedence. Staffers gain gobbies by doing their jobs. Time, effort, and money go in, but exactly how much of what is really hard to quantify; there's no paper trail. Assuming a perfect system where the trail isn't necessary, my primary problem comes in where a staffer, giving someone else their goblin points, is literally playing favorites. The recipient is gaining goblin points in a way that no one else has the ability to, and they're not doing anything to gain them. If someone is helping do the staffer's job and the goblin points need to be split, or if a staffer doesn't want all of their goblin points (see this thread on the national board) that's entirely different.
My main problem is the unequal access and that it smacks of favoritism.

obcidian said:
I've got no issue with someone donating items in someone else's name, the goblin stamps don't exist until the item exists in monster camp (same for money, basically). Any items or cash that's donated could have legitimately come from a joint effort, but if it doesn't, I don't really have a problem with it. The chapter still gets the item/money and anyone has the ability to do this exact thing, using the same rules, and no one's feelings can get hurt.

I think that allowing people to transfer goblin points to someone else sets up a dangerous precedence. Staffers gain gobbies by doing their jobs. Time, effort, and money go in, but exactly how much of what is really hard to quantify; there's no paper trail. Assuming a perfect system where the trail isn't necessary, my primary problem comes in where a staffer, giving someone else their goblin points, is literally playing favorites. The recipient is gaining goblin points in a way that no one else has the ability to, and they're not doing anything to gain them. If someone is helping do the staffer's job and the goblin points need to be split, or if a staffer doesn't want all of their goblin points (see this thread on the national board) that's entirely different.
My main problem is the unequal access and that it smacks of favoritism.

Precisely.

Not to mention that giving someone your already award goblin stamps, and that person spends them on blanketing events, means you've basically just bought back events for them, which is pretty explicitly what that passage I quoted says you can't do.

Local policy regarding how they awarded or what you can do with them is local policy... with the distinct exceptions that are listed in the ARB.

Personally, I don't really care when it comes to Goblin Points / Stamps in Seattle because no one has "unlimited" Goblin Stamps. There are a very few with 10,000+, but they are old players that contributed significantly to the game. Some chapters do have players with "unlimited" Goblin Points / Stamps, though, and that is where the problem lies.

In Seattle, I don't care because ultimately it is just shuffling around the compensation. I don't care that someone does the work and another person is rewarded if that is what the person who did the work wants. That's like me working for 40 hours at my job and then giving my salary for that week to someone else. Why should we stop someone from being generous to a friend by giving them their own Goblin Points / Stamps? How is donating on behalf of someone any different than transferring the Goblin Points / Stamps? Additionally, the Owner can give Goblin Points / Stamps to whoever they want, whenever they want. If the Owner says, "Take 180 Goblin Stamps from Joey and give 180 Goblin Stamps to Lucas" there is technically nothing that prohibits that.

Favoritism, in my opinion, comes in to play when awarding Goblin Points / Stamps. It is entirely possible for someone to go to Plot Person A who is their best buddy in the whole world with a donation that they worked on (as opposed to bought) and receive more Goblin Points / Stamps then it is worth.

And one final point is that the whole Goblin Point / Stamp system almost entirely affects just the Chapter in which the policy resides. The exceptions are: (a) gaining experience with Goblin Stamps (which is carefully regulated and limits placed at a national level); (b) buying back deaths (which is carefully regulated and limits placed at a national level); (c) gaining production or coin (which is carefully regulated and limits placed at a national level); and the fact that Oregon and Seattle are almost identical in their policies. Even then, most of the time the Goblin Point / Stamp rewards are generally localized to the player / character and the staff has the opportunity to punish people abusing the system.

Once again, my opinion is that I don't care if someone wants to give their Goblin Points / Stamps to someone else.

Honestly I don't see the big deal and am slightly insulted about the concept (key word slightly). This all started because I wanted to gift some gobbies to a friend for their birthday because I am broke and that it would be a cool present. Full disclosure I have barely over 600 gobbies, so I am not swaying the power of the chapter by being nice to my friend. I am not showing favoritism from my staff position because I am not requesting Seth to give that person gobbies from the chapter. I am giving away my personal cache.

Sorry to tell the general public this but in my personal life I favor my friends over others... Hence giving people rides to events and trying to give some birthday gobbies. As a staff member I don't.

What I am gathering is that I can go make/buy a bunch of things and donate them in my friends name... Boom free gobbies for them. Which is kosher. However the hours I take away from my job to write for the chapter and prepare events are far less valuable since I can't control where they go. So my time can't be donated in someone's name but my disposable income can? That's pretty lame. I took on a plot role because I wanted to help the chapter since I am not crafty at all and I have very little disposable income to put towards larping. I see no difference in giving away my gobbies from time spent working for the chapter and donating in someones name. If one is illegal, so should the other. So hopefully you see now why I am frustrated.

If I could I would just say "I hereby donate my time in this persons name for X amount of gobbies."

For reference, this is not something that ARC can answer - it's a chapter bylaws and policy issue, not a rules question per se. It's up to the owners.

obcidian said:
Sneaky ARC called a dodge. We'll have to hit them with sticks.

"Unrelated," hey Bryan, you coming to the OR fighter's practice?

Nope. I am betraying my adopted state and heading up north for a camping weekend. There's a small chance I might show up at the Seattle gameday though. :)

Back