Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• D-

• F

• Total voters
I also know that at least every halloween (and I'm sure you could get them in other places) Party City sells lanterns that look like old-time ones, which are battery operated. They look really nice, and are easy to turn on and off (Or blow out the candle if you will.) When in doubt, go for a liquid light, or a light spell; if you don't have either as your PC, ask for one, and I'm sure someone will be more than willing to provide.

As far as dark camps go, from my experience in playing, this camp still has a lot of light compared to some others I've attended. From what my memory remembers of old Lindemere (99ish), it didn't have much light; it really made the atmosphere scary, especially in the back field.

I almost wanted to kick them when they installed the motion lights; case in point, I was sneaking up to a bunch of PCs as an NPC Kobold (before I knew they were installed) and I was right about to waylay when the light went "BING!" ...and I ran like hell, cursing in a high squeaky voice.

But, in all seriousness, at least our ground is relatively soft. I have played in campgrounds with less light, and asphalt 'sidewalks'. Taking a spill on one of those? Yeah. Ouch.

So my recommendations are to definitely pack your own lights; you may initially be a target for NPCs; but hide your light when you hear them. or keep it pointed low to the ground, or a cloak for hiding when needbe.

Going down to the river is a bit sketchy at night, but nothing says you -have- to go. Will you be missing out on some stuff? More than likely. Will your body thank you? Probably. Inevitably, its something everyone has to take into account as far as their limitations are concerned. To me, if I'm missing stuff because I'm choosing not to go, I can't get mad at a plot team for that. I took a nasty spill on those stairs at our lowbie event, and pulled myself completely out of the fight after wrenching my knee. That's not the game's fault or staff's fault. Its just an injury that happened at game.

We play a physical game; hell, I'd go so far as to call it a sport in some areas. In playing a sport, everyone understands before getting in their gear, that this could potentially cause injury. Is the fun I'm going to have worth the risk? Hell yes. I just make sure to wear my knee braces underneath my garb. Or understand that despite my limitations, I'll still play to whatever ability I want to play to, and not let those limitations hinder me from enjoying the game.

At the same time? I like to say that given all the different LARPs I've played, Alliance is one of the safest, and that's including the terrain. Even Camp Poison Ivy, and The Reclaim event, AKA Camp Break-Your-Ankles.

2 Copper,

-Ali

I would like to point out that I am mostly saying what I heard others complain about
my complaint was the spells yes but the dark dosnt bother me a whole lot
Im not afraid of snakes and I can able up the rocky hill fairly well
while I would not like to be fighting in the mud I can and will and my costume is not the kind that would haev a problem in the rain or mud
I do not want to say who was complaining about what parts as it is for them to say but I did feal sorry for them and am kinda championing there cause
sorry to have cause any trouble

FW

As a maker of costumes... when you play this type of game, you know that your costume is going to get muddy and grass stained, it will have make-up on it and everything else. So you should choose materials for your costume that can be washed and will withstand wear and tear. You also try to pack more than one costume.

Aven has a nice outfit for dinner. If it gets muddy, I can still clean it. But I change out of it before I know Saturday night battle begins. For the Ducal Army tabards I have to soak them in oxi-clean and wash in cold water so the colors don't bleed. LOL such is the case when you try to have cool costuming.

But that is what makes the game awesome. So Frank, I wouldn't worry too much about championing those with good costuming. Those guys know the game and the chances of getting dirty and wear their fancy duds anyway because they want to look good. It is the price of looking sexy!

<<< As an aside, it also drives me a little nuts when the PCs try to pull EVERY wave battle back to the tavern stairs. >>>

I agree that the PCs tend to regroup near the stairs and since I PC a lot, I think I understand why. Two possible reasons: 1) it has enough light to find your team members so that you can regroup and 2) there's a weird feeling of safety (real or imagined) knowing that the tavern is just right up those stairs.

As the "town" spreads with more cabins, we should naturally get a little more light out onto the field, but I agree that the PCs should be carrying more lanterns and lights.

I, for one, would like to steer the PCs away from those stairs during nighttime wave battles. Any suggestions on how to do this?

--- Eric Stehle / Ivan Drake

IvanDrake said:
I, for one, would like to steer the PCs away from those stairs during nighttime wave battles. Any suggestions on how to do this?

NPC's capture a small group of people (other NPCs), and run them to <somewhere that's not the inn steps>
The town is spearheading an assault on <whatever>, and we're led to the <somewhere that's not the inn steps>
A thingy pops out of the ground over by <somewhere that's not the inn steps> and the town goes to investigate. The thingy spawns <whatever> for us to fight.

Just a few quick ideas. ;)

scott said that the landscapers are going to be replacing the stairs with a profesional setup so hopefully by next event they will be less hazordess
perhaps we can build a nice bridge and possibly have lights on it for the small stream near the main building so that wont be a hazard
the fire pit is going to be redone rumors says so a nice fire there would make night battles neat and haev a little light (need to have some extra precautions so people dont get too close)
Landscaping will also reduce the ammount of mud and increase battle areas that will be great!

In time I think most of the things people I heard complain about will be fixed and it will be fantastic!

every event will be better and better the future seems bright!

FW

While having a fire there would bring light, I would hope that we wouldn't have one there during battles, unless we have a marshal standing in front of it, as that's a huge safety hazard.

The stairs sound wonderful though :)

-Ali

IvanDrake said:
<<< As an aside, it also drives me a little nuts when the PCs try to pull EVERY wave battle back to the tavern stairs. >>>

I agree that the PCs tend to regroup near the stairs and since I PC a lot, I think I understand why. Two possible reasons: 1) it has enough light to find your team members so that you can regroup and 2) there's a weird feeling of safety (real or imagined) knowing that the tavern is just right up those stairs.

As the "town" spreads with more cabins, we should naturally get a little more light out onto the field, but I agree that the PCs should be carrying more lanterns and lights.

Its also because 3 injured healers with over 25 life spells cluster at the TOP of the stairs because we cannot walk DOWN them to get tp the battle... so the pcs cluster NEAR us for potential healing.

zehnyu said:
While having a fire there would bring light, I would hope that we wouldn't have one there during battles, unless we have a marshal standing in front of it, as that's a huge safety hazard.

-Ali

we had a fire going a few events ago and safely fought around it, even with all the mud.

Robb Graves said:
zehnyu said:

-Ali

we had a fire going a few events ago and safely fought around it, even with all the mud.

I remember that one and it provided enough light for us to spread out around it and into the areas where thecabins now are instead of everyone huddled up on the stairs. We also had a kind of log circle around it so that a marshal could warn you about tripping over the logs before you had a chance to jump into the fire. (I also think the marshal may have liked standing by the warmth, too)

Frank is correct. The landscaper is suppose to be working on the site this week and, yes, new stairs leading up to the tavern are on his "To Do" list. Eventually, we will build a new set of wide stairs that leads directly to the tavern from the back of the barn leaving the current stairs as the "back door" out of the tavern.

Kotual said:
Robb Graves said:
zehnyu said:

-Ali

I remember that one and it provided enough light for us to spread out around it and into the areas where thecabins now are instead of everyone huddled up on the stairs. We also had a kind of log circle around it so that a marshal could warn you about tripping over the logs before you had a chance to jump into the fire. (I also think the marshal may have liked standing by the warmth, too)

As I said, so long as there's a marshal or someone who is specifically out of game to watch for the safety of the players I have no issue. My main concerns are making sure you guys are safe, and also having fun :)

-Ali

As far as i know im frist to get hurt on the site, And it was not because of anything but me not looking/thinking about where/what was around me. Its said in the rule book dont do any thing that could get you hurt or others hurt. My point being that im hunt and not upset about the site in anyway I think its great and we just have to look befor we leap and thats covered in the book. So 3 2 1 lay-on with Gradeing the event and lets be a bit more happy about how lucky we are to have a site at all. ( No im Not mad at anyone about any posts ).

Tim Gailey

Sorry, but we can't put foam over the whole site.

We were at the NH site a few weekends ago and there was lots of deadfall, hills, drops, no lighting, etc.

Maybe the New Hampshire player base is just tougher.

Duke Frost said:
Sorry, but we can't put foam over the whole site.

We were at the NH site a few weekends ago and there was lots of deadfall, hills, drops, no lighting, etc.

Maybe the New Hampshire player base is just tougher.

Im officially out of my walking boot!
Whoot
Maybe im developing my own protection aura back

:D

I know you were being silly there Scott, but I do think it has a lot to do with what you're used to. Anybody who got used to playing in Lindenmere got used to a cushy, brightly lit site. Some grew to like it, some of us always hated it.

Honestly aside from the fact that they had nice large cabins with bathrooms, I wasn't too crazy about it. The giant crazy flood lights drove me nuts, and having nothing at the end of the "loop" other than the other side of the trail that led back to town was kinda boring.

Eventually since this is our own site there are millions of possibilities of what we can put out there. And one of these days I'll actually have time to take a weekend and help build something.

Air Raksa said:
Tim Gailey is my hero.

Quote: "Jess, when you touch that, it hurts."

I'm laughing with you bro.
-Brian

Ha ha ha! I couldn't help myself, I had never seen a shin swell up that way before and before I knew it I was poking it (although as softly as I could) to see if it was real or a trick of the lights. Tim was so kind to me telling me it hurt and if I wasn't his friend he would have punched me already. lol

Hope you are feeling better Tim!

J

I wasn't being silly.

Some of the people commented never played at Lindenmere.

People need to play at the limits of their own physical fitness and capability. We provide indoor mods and battles and a big comfy tavern to roleplay in. There will also be modules, encounters and battles that are geared more to the "rough and tumble" crowd. If you feel unsafe fighting at night, don't fight at night.

William Duffy is a great example. He has almost zeron night vision. So he has worked IG and OOG to work a small business out of the tavern. He makes a lot of players happy in doing so. He took a "problem" as a challenge and found a positive solution. He was proactive instead of negative.

If you don't feel safe doing something at the site, please just don't do it. There are alternatives. Not everyone is going to be rough and tumble. But just as we try to provide for the less physically active, we must also provide for those that are.

Scott

Back