[.11] High Level Build Rate Change and Or Cap

I think it's just the opposite. I've been doing this for 15 ears now, and a number of the other people I play with have as well, and are rocking characters in the 20's and 30's because characters eventually hit the end of their stories and get retired or moved to alt status and a new one brought forward to be the main.

The existence of many surviving 20+ year old characters above level 40 means that we are not successfully providing any threat of permanent death, nor any motivation to try something new.

Character turnover need to be a thing. High level characters inevitably eat the lion's share of plot's attention because you have to scale around them, and there should be new faces in those roles every few years to keep the story fresh.

I think that is fine, but not for everyone. Some people, like myself like to play the same character. To keep my story going, keep my oldest friends and our shared history and stores. To me playing a new character without all my history with my friends sounds terrible. But for some people dieing, starting over and repeating is fun to them. Everyone has different ideas of fun in the larp. And neither are wrong. And currently the game has room for both styles of play.

As for threat of death, That seems to ebb and flow. I have suffered alot of deaths in the past. But not so much lately cause of the culture of the game shifting. Eventually it will shift again the other way and people will res more commonly. Different things appeal to different people. And I think that is fine. Honestly if I got closer to perm death I would change up my style too try and keep my character alive because I value my history and IG friends very highly. I am not as interested in starting again.

I really dont understand the need to demonize older players for not wanting to play alts.

I in no way want to demonize older players. The issue is that enormously high level older charaters make an outsize impression on scaling and plot. That means they have to be worked around, and in a way limits what plot can bring to the table as a challenge for the game as a whole, because they have such a broad set of solutions available to them.

I in no way want to demonize older players. The issue is that enormously high level older charaters make an outsize impression on scaling and plot. That means they have to be worked around, and in a way limits what plot can bring to the table as a challenge for the game as a whole, because they have such a broad set of solutions available to them.

I think 2.0 addresses alot of this by making having magic items not nearly a huge deal. That will bring down the power gap pretty well, all ready. That combined with the scaling of profs and BS really limit how much impact a high level will have. Level 20-25 fighters will likely hit just as hard as level 40 fighters for instance.

I think 2.0 addresses alot of this by making having magic items not nearly a huge deal. That will bring down the power gap pretty well, all ready. That combined with the scaling of profs and BS really limit how much impact a high level will have. Level 20-25 fighters will likely hit just as hard as level 40 fighters for instance.

Temporarily. 2.0 is treating a symptom, not the problem, which is infinite power creep.

Spending 100s of bucks a year for pay no plays to get a level a year is a pretty weak counter argument, honestly.

Again, that’s the choice you are making. Either you pay to advance faster or you advance at the same rate everyone else in that level range does. That’s the same choice we’ve always been offered, it’s just the rate of advancement that’s changing.

Personally, I think there’s a point (especially in 1.3) where you run out of good stuff to buy and there aren’t really alternatives. I think that point is farther away in 2.0, but it’s still there.

So it really depends on how much pay-no-play is being done. So this year it is possible to get credit for like 46 weekends a year in addition to 12 for GS blankets -- so assume 100+ blankets worth; and more if you NPC events or get dragonstamps. I have to assume that anyone who is playing at 50+ level is doing that. How else do you get to that level range?

(Insert "old man back in my day voice") I've been playing since 1996, that's how. When I started there wasn't all these chapters. We also had to pay the amount of build your character had in silver to logistics at the end of the event to maxout. There were some events I didn't maxout.

With out magic items in 1.3 we are all mostly 2 spell kills no matter the level and from what I experienced, it's not the "enormously high level characters" that have all the magic items.

Yeah, but I expect that the db will also be taking that into account, and has pretty much always been the case when it comes to fighting PCs. I in no way expect the owners to knowingly make the game significantly more dangerous for extremely high level characters relative to everyone else.

I think we will all see a shift from burst power to endurance power.

High levels go longer and deeper into mods...that is there power. It's not as much about being a walking army of one.

Which as a level 40 Earth caster with magic items that let me swing effectively 20s vs everything (+8vs most monster types and all elements available) who also had a 4 column of celestial activates and stacked cloaks I was....

New edition in playtests I still felt like a high level on hard mods. Felt great in fact. But it was about going longer and harder on a mod where my 3500 points of healing both offensively and defensively came into play. It was the most fun I have had in atleast 5 years.

The monster manual has been completely rewritten and is still evolving plus I expect some learning curve. But that is where you as players and us as ownwers need to trust the local plot teams. We the owners are putting a tremendous effort into every facet of the rewrite and ARC even more so ...they rock for the record!

So sorry that was a long winded way of saying Muir is right. The game is meant for everyone regardless of level and will be good and will be scaled appropriately.

With that said great job keeping a charged conversation on task and civil! Keep up the discussion! I just felt I had to chime in! Back to lurking for me.

Back