High Orcs

To me the problem is with Kyn being the superior high makeup race for most minmaxers.

I agree that high orcs get shafted a bit, but so do high ogre fighters with racial resolute. I think it's problematic to say that players should just choose a race for RP reasons when there are pretty powerful (fighter with dodge and resist magic) non-RP reasons written into the rules. If you really want the choice to be a RP one, then the non-RP stuff should be balanced or removed.

This is going to be additionally true with the removal of MI Cloaks. Racial skills are going to have more inherent value, and are no longer merely "compensation" but "incentive."

I think people are undervaluing the +2 body per 10, at level 20 as a orc fighter that is 56 body. Which is 10 more then a human/kyn/etc and 15 more then elf races. 20-25% more body at level 20 is a pretty solid racial I feel. Especially for no build cost.

I think people are undervaluing the +2 body per 10, at level 20 as a orc fighter that is 56 body. Which is 10 more then a human/kyn/etc and 15 more then elf races. 20-25% more body at level 20 is a pretty solid racial I feel. Especially for no build cost.

It's not so much that I'm undervaluing it so much that I don't think it has all that much value.

That 10 body is probably going to constitute you being able to absorb 1 to 2 more hits than me from an appropriately statted NPC. In today's melee combat, that's...probably just a few extra seconds. It's offset by a 2nd level healing potion in the new ruleset.

Resists/Dodges will negate battlefield-changing experiences. Resist Command will negate that Charminate/Sleep. Resist Bind will negate an incapacitating effect. Resist Poison? Resist Spell?

Yeah, to me, it doesn't even compare. The High Orc can take damage, sure, but the disadvantage he faces against Crowd Control opponents is not equivalent to the disadvantage that Elves/Kyn/everyone else experiences versus Damage opponents.

I think Tantarus makes a good point about body. If I had the power to make a change to High Orcs, I would build on that. I would change the starting benefit from +2 body to double starting body (ie. +6) and then give +2 per 10 as the character leveled. The extra boost is small (+4 over the life of the character), but it is far from meaningless. More importantly, this means that somebody starting a higher level character is enticed by the overall advantage (20 - 25%) and somebody starting at a low level is enticed by the significant boost (as much as double).

-MS

Found the answer to a question I originally asked here, so I am changing my post.

As an addendum to the above, I would also discount the Hearty skill for High Orcs.

-MS

The way it reads I believe hearty does not interact at all with bonus racial body and is added separately. I could be wrong.

The way it reads I believe hearty does not interact at all with bonus racial body and is added separately. I could be wrong.

You are correct. HEARTY DOES NOT interact with the Base body for the calculations.

Back