In the Commons

Evo raises his brow in interest. "A scholar, then? I imagine the Earth Weavers would enjoy recruitung you, if you're so inclined." He looks to the green circle, a briefly cold expression passing through his eyes.

"We need healers as much as we need any other kind of warrior. And earth magic is our strength against the undead." Evo pauses again, fixes his eyes on Romilda's. "If you have the will to serve the good and the just, if you have the desire to protect those in need: This is the time, and there will be a place for you."

He softens. "Welcome to the raging river known as the Lux, Romilda the Troublesome Pebble."

"There it is" she let's out a loud laugh. "Two down.... now only... uhh.... how many people live here. Never mind. Not important." Romilda extends here hand across the table.

"Romilda Sagedust of the Clavis clan at the ready" she says enthisiatically with just a touch of sarcasm. "Now uhh.. what your name again?"

Evo stands to properly take her hand. "Magistrate Evo Escariot of the Arcane Sanctum, Magus Prime of the Lux Obscura Penta, Wizard of Unyielding Light." His eyes sparkle a little bit. "But generally 'Evo' will do, if we're not being formal."

"After all," he darkens, "fancy titles are not any help in battle."

"Ooooooh, that's a mouthful... congrats? But, yeah, your right, Evo would probably be better" She stands up with him and squares her shoulder, a cheeky grin as she gives a quick nod to the long name. "So mister Evo long name, where do we start?"

Rohnan walked though the commons headed no place in particular when she spotted Evo. Not speaking to him in a while she decided to head over to chat if nothing else until she saw who was at the table with him. The new Tari-nor stood and Rohnan froze in place wondering if she could turn and walk in another direction casually as if he definitely wasn’t avoiding the new comer who seemed to know too much about her.

“This is getting ridiculous”, a voice that was probably her own said as she made a face. After what was less than a minute of teetering on the spot trying to make a decision she headed over to the table.

“Good morning Evo, nice to see you not cooped up inside for once.” She greeted with a smile, ignoring the other person there.

“baby steps” she thought to herself, justifying her rude behaviour.

Evo turns and greets the new arrival. "Ah, Rohnan, good timing. We were just discussing next steps." He looks back toward Romilda, "If you are serious about joining the Earth Weavers, either Thistle or Tengu would be happy to see you," he says and looks toward the Earth Weavers' enclave, offering her a graceful exit if she chooses.

Her eyebrows raise in surprise and joy as she sees Rohnan approach, but seeing her indifference she accepts the snub. Turning back to Evo she looks him questioningly. "Well I've tried looking for Thistle but she doesnt seem to be around, where could I could I find Tengu, and what am I looking for?"

Rohnan looked at the woman who she had been avoiding for the last few months and then brought her attention to her new staff examining it as she spoke, “Tengu is one of the only Biata that you will regularly see walking around here in the daylight. If you see one dressed in red at night, run. Tengu is also rather skilled in the use of a blade, he would make a good teacher for any earth weavers who has some of that aptitude, but really only if you’re looking to stab things in the back when they aren’t looking.” She made a face, “that might seem like I’m trying to make a dig at the guy but he is an adapt as far as I’m aware and is actually really skilled in what he can do. If earth magic is where your skills lie he’ll be good at helping you find an appropriate teacher.”

Turning to Evo she said, “I’m all for discussing what’s next or planning for it. It’s been too quiet lately, it’s giving me a weird itch. I worry about what our enemies are up too if they aren’t bothering us. Not that ‘Rohnan worries’ is really a headline”

Evo nods in agreement as Rohnan talks about Tengu, then chuckles a little when she mentions the weird itch.

"If you're worried about what our enemies are up to, you're doing something right." His eyebrows shrink toghether as he muses, "I personally can't shake the feeling we're being toyed with. If I were in that vampire's position, Phaesos would have only been the first in a rapid series."

He sighs. "But what we can do, what we must do, is to take full advantage of this lull to build our own strategies, strengthen our positions, and amass every resource we can, from allies to information to artifacts." He fixes his gaze back on Rohnan. "How is your assignment proceeding?"

"Red biata no, any other biata yes. Got it" Romilda goes to hop over the bench but catches her foot and stumbles a bit. Finding her balance she straightens up and straightens her vest.

"Well Evo if I can help with the annoying book, just kind shout for a bit I'll appear eventually. Rosy, nice seeing you again" she nods at Rohnan but keeps it to that. " I'm off to find a biata."

She flicks her hand with a wave goodbye and makes her way over to the earth weavers enclave.

“It’s good to know that some of my concerns are somewhat valid.” She muttered as she sat down, resting her staff on the side of the table.

When the departing Sylvanborn called her ‘Rosy’ a murderous look came over her as it sent panic signals through her body and she physically stiffened. Once she had departed Rohnan inhaled deeply through her nose as she closed her eyes. She exhaled and opened them. Still tense, but better composed, she started to dig through her pouch before finding a notebook filled with lists and amendments with notes in the margins.

“I was able to speak with Opiathas, she’s an interesting one. She may have regained her youthful vigour, but I think she’s older than I am at heart. I also appreciate your notes. I’ll need to check in with Mar and see how his scouting trip went for the original site to the observatory. I am curios about Sedrith's tower.” She flipped through some pages until she found what she was looking for.

“You mentioned that it could be a second potential site for the observatory, is that a place within the Lux it’s self? I assume so but I’m really starting to grasp how little of the Lux I actually know and have seen. I don’t really know too much about Sedrith or the tower. If he’s still inhabiting it though having a conversation with ‘what remains of him’ I think is how it was put, needs to happen before we can even consider it as a mildly viable option.”

“To really have that conversation though I feel like I need more information as to what this observatoy was, and can be used for. Opiathas was annoyingly cryptic about it’s full potential. Really I feel like if I, or whoever, goes to have that conversation needs to be as well prepared in advance as possible.” She nibbled on her lip a bit as she continued to check her notes.

“As for the dragon glass lens needed for the observatory we might not be able to just buy one anywhere but we do happen to know of a place that is nothing but dragon glass. With this official war declared against Culdranth, I’m hoping that he can be distracted enough that we can get a team in the area, cut a piece big enough and get out again relatively safely. Especially if we can ask Elspeth to get us a portal there and back the risk should be no more than we typically encounter.” ‘Or so I hope’ was left unsaid. “Unless you know of any other readily available places of dragons glass around?” She almost asked hopefully, knowing that if this half cocked plan was the best that they could come up with she would be leading it and that scared her as she knew that was the whole point in her taking charge in all of this.

“As for the other two tasks I’m still waiting on meetings that I hope will happen sometime over the next month or so. If nothing else just to know what’s really needed to advance that.”

She finished speaking and slightly blushed realizing that she didn’t really give Evo a chance to get in a word.

Last edited:
Evo listens to Rohnan's report with interest. "Good start," he says, and leans in.

"Sedrith was once Al Zoon's master, before he broke free and became who he is today. A great, powerful, ancient, and frightening being. I don't know how he died, but his spirit lives on in a tower here within the Lux. A group of us visited the tower to secure his Diarus Ejum for the Convergece ritual which restored Avantador. In short, Sedrith is neither friend nor enemy, alive nor dead. He is not a direct threat nor is he harmless. Seek out others who have met Sedrith; there are several among our number here."

He glances at Rohnan's notebook from across the table. "As for the glass-- Stern's insistence on Dragon glass makes mme think this is as much about ritual components as it is physical properties. Whatever this observatory does, exactly, is a mystery to me. But I get the sense it's not meant to look at stars, or at least not just stars."

Evo thinks a moment. "I know the new Gyverin observatory was within Culdranth's zone of destruction; it might hold an interesting intersection of optical equipment and dragon fire. Though I don't know if the glass you seek would be there. You could also speak with the Gyverins as they are the land's foremost astronomers. I leave the direction to you however. If you feel it's best to shortcut the process and simply go find glass, I'm sure the results will be enlightening if nothing else!"

Rohnan nodded her head as she mulled the information over. “I think that I’ll send a letter to the Gyverins then and see if they are willing help with our efforts then. If their old observatory was lost they might be willing the help with this one. If they are interested in the persuit of knowledge, then they might be willing to aid in more than just the observatory Plus I definitely need someone who’s much more of an expert in the subject than I am.” Rohnan sighed adding it to her ‘to do’ list.
Do you know of any member of the family who would be best to send a letter to?”

“Opiathas said that the observatory was for more than astronomy but didn’t go overly into detail which is kind of frustrating. It feels like working with only half the information needed. How can you fix something if you don’t know what it does?” she asked rhetorically. It wouldn’t be the first time that they were asked to do something with only a vague idea to the end result. “Was Stern able to give you information as to what specific qualities this dragons glass lens is supposed to possess? I don’t really want to waste time and resources on something that isn’t going to work.”

“And I’ll need to ask around and see if anyone will be willing to come with me to speak with Sedrith. Do you know who has interacted with him before? With not as many of us around the Lux as usual it might be hard pinning someone down.”

Evo thinks. "I wonder if they even remember what the observatory is really for. We seem to keep discovering other secrets unknown to the guardians of this place, even ones powered by portal crystals. It may be up to us to fill in the missing pieces of this puzzle. If I understand correctly, dragon glass has some of the same properties as that used in scrying globes. I believe Stern is describing a telescope for remote viewing, not necessarily through line of sight."

As far as the Gyverins are concerned, you should go straight to the top. Write Countess Anastasia Gyverin a letter detailing exactly what you know and what you hope to learn, and she'll likely delegate you the appropriate information or resources." He pauses and looks a bit stiff and formal. "Please send the Lady Countess... my regards."

He clears his throat. "I definitely agree, you'll want to assemble a group to speak with Sedrith. Expect no easy path into his tower; last time we visited, there were riddles and guarded doors. If I were in your position, I'd start talking to people, or maybe even post a note in the tavern asking for those who have already met him. I regret I can't recall who joined us last time. There was a lot on my mind. Mar is the one who found the spire, very near the fallen Observatory."

Rohnan’s eyes sparkled at Evo’s words about the countesses and a cheeky grin came over her “Oh no, we are not going to brush over that. It seems like there is a good story there between you and the countess. If it’s painful I won’t pry, but if not...” she raised her eyebrows, “happy memories are something to cherish and share with friends.”

The mage's cheeks flush slightly, but his eyes remain steady. "There-- there really is no story to tell. I have worked to aid Countess Gyverin in various ways since the blood plague. She has my respect and loyalty, and I her thanks and rewards."

Evo shifts slightly on the bench, raises his brow in mild surprise. "It occurs to me that it has been three years since I have visited Rookroost. "

Rohnan looked smug at being able to get Evo to blush, “Well, it’s also never too late to make happy memories too,” she got slightly pensive for a moment before continuing, “I think that we can all do with the reminder to keep trying to make our own happiness. Especially with all that we have to deal with...”

Shaking herself from her own thoughts, “Anyway, write a letter, chat with Mar, make a poster. Those seem to be the next steps I need to take until I get more information.” She finished putting her notebook away and looked across at Evo.

“How have you been by the way?” She asked with concern that she only reserved for select few.

Evo nods noncommittally at Rohnan's mention of happy memories, and pauses in thought at her question.

"Thank you for asking." He looks pained. "I'm holding it together. I hope that's enough. A powerful, ancient, gentle being was murdered before me, and not only was I powerless to stop it, I have every reason to believe I cannot stop the next one." His expression shifts, becomes harder. "I'm angry. And I won't stop until we are safe."

His shoulders slump. "And I am. So. Tired."

Evo raises his head back up, puts on that patient face. "If we are all that stands before the onslaught, then we will be enough. We must be."

He laughs. "I meant to say, 'Things are fine, I'm doing well,' and maybe one day I'll get to say that and mean it. Until then, there is much to be done."

Rohnan looked slightly guilty at Evo’s words, “I’m sorry. I can’t begin to imagine the amount of strain that you’re under. We are all fighting the same fight but when it gets too much for all of us we go to you and unload all of our fears and frustrations. I realize that you might not have someone to unload your same fears onto.” She thought for a moment and laughed, “though I think that many people would pay to see you yell at AzCaine with the same enthusiasm that we may direct at you sometimes.”

Her eyebrows furrowed as she thought as she spoke, “When Physos was killed though, I don’t think that it was because he wasn’t powerful or strong enough, I think that it was because he was fighting alone and underprepared. None of us can expect to win this on our own, but together, I guess I think that we can dumb luck our way out of this mess, we just have to stick together.” She shrugged.

Rohnan looked down at her tabard with the raven skull. “The whole reason why Jinn started our little tribe was to have a group that we could count on to have each other's backs and to check in on one another. All of us have the deepest of respect for you, even if we show it in less than conventional ways. We would trust you enough to come to you if we didn’t. And we don’t have this human notion that hiding your feelings is what makes you a good leader.” She looked at Evo hoping that he understood the sincerity of her words.

Evo nods in understanding and agreement. "I don't know if it's a human notion, or simply my own imperfect method of coping." He laughs. "But in any case, thank you."

"I'm glad you find strength together, in your clan. And I hope that you can share that trust and strength far beyond your those closest to you." Evo softens. "That is something we all need."

Back