Introduce Yourselves Again!

Hello all and I'm just rezzing a thread from the old SF boards if nobody minds.

Not to necrothread or anything, but I didn't wanna start a topic all about Jesse and how she got to be a LARPer! I started LARPing when I was about seven or so with my buddies Luke and Jeremy in the back yard where I was the warrior/dragon/princess/doctor that commanded an army of ancient Egyptians and sworn enemy of the evil dragon Captain Jumanji! (Who was NPC'd quite nicely by that mean old broad who lived down the road that turned her dogs loose on us when we played in her yard that one time)

But that LARP has long since disbanded and so for the next nine or so years I grew up, performed in some plays (Midsummer Night's Dream, The Tempest, Romeo and Juliet, The Comedy of Errors, Much Ado About Nothing, Taming of the Shrew, Radio TBS, Mrs. California, 'Nam {which I wrote the screenplay for as well as performed in}, the Merchant of Venice, and more Midsummer Night's Dream.), learned a couple new languages, learned how to dance then forgot, and became the Mistress of Chicken Wings.

But in April of 2007, I went to my first Alliance LARP in Traverse City, Michigan (about three hours from my place) with my boyfriend. I had been hearing my older friends talk about it since I was ten, but I never quite understood what they were doing. They'd say things in reference to "body" and "XP" and shout "normal" after playfully hitting each other. But anyway. I finally resolved to make a character and go. I was sixteen and my papa said it was alright, so I got crackin! I resolved to make a gypsy because 1) gypsies are freaking awesome; 2) because I didn't want anything complicated as far as dress went but being a human just seemed redundant. I made her to be my polar opposite in most ways. Whereas she is a bundle of sweetness that instead of swatting a fly will give it a bath and send it on its way I am a cynical post marxist vigilante . She is an artisan named Marcena Cenkraea "The Dove" DagonGaddi and I will be flying her out for an event or several by the time she perms.

Some of the Oregon and Seattle crew might remember me from the August weeklong. Adam (Avaran) most definitely, but also Brian (Polare), and Jeremy (Hawks).

Looking forward to seeing y'all there!

Piece!

~Jesse "Sunshine" Smith

So you resurrected a post to introduce you and your LARPing career?

JIM :?:

I'm Amelia, and I have no idea how I found out about The Alliance formerly known as NERO. I have, however, been carrying out a war against reality for as long as I can remember. As soon as I could string a sentence together I was off in a corner somewhere acting out a story of my own creation or telling a tale to an invisible audience. It's a good thing my parents are artistically inclined or else they probably would have sent me to Mrs. Lemming's Preschool for the Mentally Unstable. Anyway, for some reason beyond human reckoning, my family moved from Brooklyn to Cape May, New Jersey, the cultural desert of the East Coast. There I have spent the last ten years of my life, going through the system with a fine toothed comb for any opprotunities for theater. When I was eleven, I somehow discovered LARP. I sent away for the rulebook, and after reading through it word for word about three times, I e-mailed Mike V. He gave me the sad news that 14 was the minimum age in HQ. So I started a day-by-day count down. I re-wrote the character history for my first character 5 times. She was a mystic wood elf named Kade. (just Kade) She was my polar opposite, and was written to play up on the fact that I was young and new to the game. This was a mistake, because people associate her personality with me even though she is my polar opposite.

Alas, now I am sixteen (and no longer a page!) and I play Apprentice Ren Suzume, a stone elf sage with a huge ego and lots of notebooks. She's much more like me in real life than Kade, but I'm not nearly as studious or as generous.

In real life, I go to high school, sew, write, and use sarcasm. I am an actress, so naturally I work at a bath supply store selling my soul for $7 an hour. I occasionally get work at a local regional theater (which pays me) and a dinner theater (which does not). I am obsessed with Star Trek, costuming, Shakespeare, German philosophy, opera, LOTR, Severus Snape and of course LARP.

Lizak out!

just to date myself (and all the rest of you fogeys who remember this) i started LARPing NERO/Alliance back in the nineties when Dragon Magazine wrote their first NERO article. i bought soccer shin-guards, leather-scraps, and key-rings; i sewed myself a HORRIBLE 14 suit (using a hockey mask as a helmet) and had my mom drive me two states away to play a completely ridiculous half-orc templar, named Cyril (my Spanish-class name) of the Greenwood. he got in all sorts of trouble when he cast Chaos at the town magistrate, ¿how was i supposed to know he was a good guy? my favorite fighting style was putting my head down and bum rushing the enemy, my swords would swing in grand wind-mill arcs and i often bonked people head-first in the chest before i came to rest (this, at least, hasn't changed)

(Cue omnious music)

Greetings.

For those who are new or who do not visit HQ much, my name is Jim Welch.
I was born in the city of Wilkes-Barre whose main claim to fame is that it has a hyphenated name. At age six my family and I moved to Dallas (PA, not Texas) where I still live.

I have always been interested in fantasy be it reading some novel or watching a fantasy movie. Ever since I was a child I was told I have an active imagination. Very very active. Good for creativity. Bad for teachers in school. Now I have made my way through college and hopefully will be finding a teaching job in eastern PA. (crosses fingers)

I began my adventures in NERO ... oops! ... I mean Alliance four years ago.
I was told about Alliance by my friend Chris. He showed me the rule book and helped me get started on my first character.

When I make a character, I look for two things. First, I try to create a character that can be challenging but not frustrating when it comes to Role Playing. I also try to infuse my character with some part of my personality.

My first character is my fox scavenger, Semaj. I got his name but reversing my name. By far he is the hardest costume wise character to play with the full face fox mask, the furry gloves, and the fox tail I made.
Semaj is a fun loving Celestial templar. He is a bit on the gullible side and will cling to select people, befriending them instantly. He represents my love of foxes and my fun loving side. Looking back, I wish that he was a Scholar instead since I have to deal with his high build costs for spell slots.

Hopefully this year he'll make an appearance. I want to update him by buying a non full face mask and cover the rest of my face in makeup. Perhaps this will make playing him easier.

My second and my new favorite character is my Biata, Argus Varda. Argus has been used only twice lately. Yet he will surely be used more times. Argus has his wonderful albeit heavy chain mail shirt and his yellow, black, and purple feathered eyebrows. I modeled him after part Steven Segal and Dog the Bounty Hunter. The challenge in this character lies in the extra role playing needs with playing a biata. He represents my thinking side.

I plan, once one of these characters perms, to eventually create a Stone Elf healer who relies on no weapons.

So now you know a bit about me and my characters.

I'll leave you with my motto:

There is no normal.

Jim Welch

Well since we're tootin' our own horns... ;)

I'm Mark Mensch and have dedicated a better part of my life helping to improve and promote LARPs thoughout the US.

I first heard about NERO in 1991 when I was making costume armor that looked real but was made out of plastic. A few people from Boston came down to get some suits and left me a rulebook. I moved out to San Francisco shortly thereafter and waited until I heard about the first NERO chapter here. Started with them at their second event in 1994 and have been playing both them and the Alliance ever since.

I felt that NERO was missing a certain 'realism' so in 1994 I stared up my own LARP called Adventures Unlimited. Over the next 7 years, I built it up to a very great LARP, including having people from as far as Estonia using and adapting my rules to fit their needs. Due to financial reasons, I had to sell my LARP in 2002 but continued to work as a consultant for many different LARP systems and games all along the West Coast and beyond. I was contacted in 2001 to help create a reality TV show based upon LARPing but 9-11 happened shortly after and things fell through.

Today, I am still helping to promote LARPs in a positive light to the general public and trying to increase the overall quality of LARPs throughout the US. I continue to get invited to various games and systems throughout the US and, besides enjoying a new game, help to improve the players overall experience. I continue to play Alliance - now with a new chapter, I've started a new character to take advantage of local legends. I'm now Donovon Flaragin - an Artisan Gypsy in the city of Stonehaven.

Marcena said:
Your sewing skills have most definitly improved since then I trust? ;)

Naw... his buying power has just increased... and his fighting style hasn't changed. :D

I'm Paul, and .... *deep sight* I'm a larper.

I started larping in a vampire the mascerade game at the mature age of 12 (John you can get your revenge now if you want)
My parents hated the RP thing, I had to sneak off to my games because they thought I would go crazy, lose all ambition and perform in cult rituals and to this day, after graduating college and getting a job, refuse to acknowledge the possibility that gaming might not be a satanic cult. My whole familly knows I game but its not on the list of aproved topics at the dinner conversation.

I dodged the Nero train over and over again thinking it would be the silliest thing in the world and when someone latched me down into a car seat to drive me to an event. It turned out I was right...but I had a blast and have been doing it ever since.

Paul

Hi, I'm Davio, and I'm a geek.

I've been playing games and other stuff for... well, I think since starting in 1980.

LARPing was later (though we tried padded sticks and ski poles for live action D&D in my teens). I started playing Vampire back when it was a box set with little plastic fangs and a tin ankh.

I've done SCA for 12 years, and can sew and craft stuff (including armor) fairly well. I've done both NERO International and Alliance, though I prefer A. a lot better. I've done Adventure's Unlimited (listed above), and tried an event of Mortal Tears (White Wolf Medieval Boffer LARP).

I got going into NERO Alliance (back before the first 4 letters were silent) at the second cornfield event of the old Garrenshaw chapter. It was the dorkiest thing I've ever done, but I had a blast, and kept coming. It was actually at these games that I met the woman who would later have a fit of madness and agree to marry me.

I play the gypsy Templar Raphael, and entertain myself by making goodies and props for staff.

Davio

Ok, there are more people in this thread that haven't been to our games than those that have, so I'm going to try to even the odds a little.

I'm Jason Warlock, part of the staff of the SF chapter. In fact, its all sort of my fault. Once upon a time, Mike Amaral ("Siestrion" here) and I were out for a drive and discussing the fact that the only chance we or any Cali people had to play involved a half day drive to Seattle. Now, we love our cousins in Seattle, but we needed our fix more often than we could get from them. Mike and I had run other types of games before, as a team, and we knew how well we work together, so I suggested we start our own chapter. (Volunteering him to shell out the cash, of course.) After a couple of years of work and laughter, here we are, and here we will stay for quite some time.

Now, as for how I got into all this, I first played way back before the split, during an event so rainy they called it a day early so we could leave before the road washed out. I blame my girlfriend at the time who convinced me to try it. Personally, I almost got hypothermia at this event, so I wasn't sold on the idea of ever trying it again, but she loved it. A couple years later, she and I heard that a new chapter was starting, being run by a good friend of ours, and she wanted to give it another try. Who was I to say no to her? We did our first day in Garrenshaw, and I've been hooked ever since.

Repost from the old forums:

I'm Michael Amaral. Chapter owner and plot staff.

It wasn't too long ago that I started playing Alliance. It was up in Seattle's chapter that I played my first game. It was originally because I was visiting family while my roommates were playing Alliance over a holiday weekend. I decided I didn't want to drive back by myself (I had headed up a week earlier) and dropped by the game to NPC and drive back with my roommates to keep me company. Being me, that didn't last long and at the end of the first day, I got talked into playing a Stone Elf. It was fun. Unfortunately, my roommates were of no use keeping me company on the way back as they slept like the dead.

Hi names Catherine Winslow. I am playing a healer called Leata Moss.

Been playing this since 2/12/09 or so, still feel like a noob from now and then, but getting a better grasp on things with each passing month I'm still learning hope never to stop learning knalage is to presses a thing to ever stop.

The games fun and the people are great! been telling my friends bout this game and so far Mad, Dan, Steph, and James all so joined but as NPCs and Mike will be coming back to PC when he can.

Happy to be here, having fun and gaming hard.

-stands up in front of group and fidgets a bit- Hello. I’m Nic (Echo or Coyote whichever you prefer…) and I am a game addict.

I've been an addict since the day I ate poisoned sushi as Michaelangelo (Turtle Power!) in summer camp around my junior high school year. We hiked up this huge steep mountain to get an antidote for Splinter and were all four killed by the poisoned sushi! Good times.

I am an avid gamer, both tabletop and LARPs (Deliria and WoD – Garou, Requiem). Currently I'm running a 2nd ed Ravenloft campaign. I’m an avid actor, performing in theater and film, as well as a writer steadily making my way to becoming a bonifed author (now I just need an agent.). I just re-released my first novel Orphan Quest through Xlibris. You can find it if you're interested under the name KE Milrona.

Neil "convinced" me to come way back in 2007, so we joined about the same time. (My original introduction is on page 5 of the "Introduce yourself thread"!). I took a hiatus for a bit due to school and now I'm back!

No PC for me yet, just one of your friendly-neighborhood NPCs at the moment. Maybe I'll go PC eventually, as a wyldkin or Sarr, who knows.

Greetings all! *bows* I'm Liz, and i just joined up with you guys. Nic was the one that told me about you. I love games, weather its video games or table top. I play in Nic's ravenloft game too. the closest thing i have to a PC is Lupie. the Wolf-kin that follows Lantrie around. I like NPCing and it seems you guys like my NPCing too.

Lupie MoonSong said:
Greetings all! *bows* I'm Liz, and i just joined up with you guys. Nic was the one that told me about you. I love games, weather its video games or table top. I play in Nic's ravenloft game too. the closest thing i have to a PC is Lupie. the Wolf-kin that follows Lantrie around. I like NPCing and it seems you guys like my NPCing too.

Hey, it's great seeing you out there as well!

PS: "11 Magic"

Lupie MoonSong said:
Daviomac said:

...AAAGGGRRRR!!!! i will kill you one of these days!
Just ask for a monster that can cast two death spells. He'll go down.

Fun Size said:
Lupie MoonSong said:
Daviomac said:

...AAAGGGRRRR!!!! i will kill you one of these days!
Just ask for a monster that can cast two death spells. He'll go down.

better make it 3...

Back