Introduce Yourselves Again!

Daviomac said:
Fun Size said:
Lupie MoonSong said:
...AAAGGGRRRR!!!! i will kill you one of these days!
Just ask for a monster that can cast two death spells. He'll go down.

Ah, the double tap, my old nemesis.
Rule 2: The Double Tap.

Not just for zombies!

Hi, I'm Alison, and I'm a geek. I got into LARP just this winter, and I fell for it, hard. I've always been a historical/fantasy geek with a penchant for costuming (I blame my LOTR-reading former SCA parents for that), so when I found LARP, it was like every single hobby I've ever enjoyed wrapped up into on nice package. Hitting my friends with sticks, running around in the woods, making and wearing costumes, acting, and playing an RPG at the same time? Awesome. I can sew well, draw decently, and write poorly, which is fortunate because I found that sewing is more useful in my life than the other two.

My current sub-hobby is making gear that integrates the spellcasting requirements of Alliance (spell tags, scrolls, spellbooks, wands, etc) into play as smoothly as possible. My first invention, the scroll bracer, has almost been finalized and is going through some minor revisions. Next up: building a spell tag ring into my costume in a way that does not involve safety pins and way to carry my spellbook that doesn't involve a belt pouch.

In real life, I'm an anthropology student at Foothill with a special interest in forensics.

Ooh, that sounds cool- how does it work? Or is it something better explained with the rod in question in front of you?

been rolling through all the topics on line and familiarizing myself with stuff. Found this post so though I would chime in a little. I know at the events i have had several people ask me for my portfolio and inquire into my gaming back ground. I am not the usual type of gamer so many people ask. I have been playing RP games of one form or another since I bought D&D basic in its boxed set...yes I am old.....I have played in just about everything from D&D, Seven Seas, Vampire:tm...1st Ed thru many revisions, Werewolf and so on and so on hahah....I have also done theatrical and historical re-enactments since I was a teen. I snuck into my first ren faire when I was 16, started heavy combat in the SCA when I was 18. I have been fighting in martial combat for 22+ years in multiple forms, both western and eastern, I also was a collegiate fencer and spent the last 6 years studying Spanish,German and Italian period rapier, in sword and shield, sword and dagger and sword and cloak forms. A couple good friends of mine started chatting me up about this Boffer thing a couple years back but due to my busy schedual and being a parent and unfortunately suffering a near crippling injury to my spine...i kind of left Alliance ( was called NERO back then hehe) as an entertaining imaginative game I would " one day look into" So here I am and its turned out to be a lot of fun for the most part. I am still trying to get my head around taking mortal damage to my toes...I have never played a game before that one would succumb to lethal damage be being repeatedly struck in the foot....but Its a lot of fun none the less, and I look forward to learning more and playing with all of you guys as frequently as I can. I play a fun little level 2 human fighter which seems to entertain most people. I hope to see you all out there, play nice have fun and be honorable in all things, it will serve you well!
Mundane: Scott Wilson
Character: Jared Silverwolf

BoneDaddyThug said:
I am still trying to get my head around taking mortal damage to my toes...I have never played a game before that one would succumb to lethal damage be being repeatedly struck in the foot....but Its a lot of fun none the less, and I look forward to learning more and playing with all of you guys as frequently as I can.

It might help if you visualize Ghost putting you at -1 body by cutting your foot off just above the ankle. For me, I can imagine that if I lost a body part that I was just standing on, I'd probably stop fighting.

whorfin said:
BoneDaddyThug said:
I am still trying to get my head around taking mortal damage to my toes...I have never played a game before that one would succumb to lethal damage be being repeatedly struck in the foot....but Its a lot of fun none the less, and I look forward to learning more and playing with all of you guys as frequently as I can.

It might help if you visualize Ghost putting you at -1 body by cutting your foot off just above the ankle. For me, I can imagine that if I lost a body part that I was just standing on, I'd probably stop fighting.

I feel ya Scott. but on the other side of the spectrum I find it a bit disturbing that some can get hit with a sword a couple dozen times before it is mortal.

vikingsurvivor said:
whorfin said:
BoneDaddyThug said:

I feel ya Scott. but on the other side of the spectrum I find it a bit disturbing that some can get hit with a sword a couple dozen times before it is mortal.

Well yea there is a certain suspension of belief there....I am gonna say that for the most part, even with a war hammer against full plate...after about the 3rd or 4th hit, your armor is crushed into immobility.....I guess for myself I see no Honor is striking someone in the toes 4x in a row. Then again...I am too used to Tournament fighting, where it is fighter to fighter, Laws of Chivaly and Honor and all....even on the war field a certain code of chivalry applied...sometimes i forget....goblins have no honor....kill or be killed, and anything goes. I have to dig deep into that rogue side of me I have trained away all these years.....and put an arrow through someones eye at 60 yards from a hidden copse of trees....;)

-stands up-
Ummmmm hello.... My name is Alice and.... -starts sobbing into hanky- I'm a gamer.
Lemme see, I'm pretty new to larping, but my parents followed the traditional geek/nerd line and I have been playing D&D for several years. I first "found" larp through the internet (it tells you things!) but never really found a group to play with, and then my D&D group started making remarks about the evils of larping, so I just gave up on it. I had some sword training through martial arts, but also quickly found that most of what I had learned didn't apply.

Later on (this summer actually), I met my then-friend-now-girlfriend who introduced me to it by enlisting me to play her estranged gypsy lover, and I have been playing ever since.

Hi, I'm Luke...and I apologize for inadvertently having a nearly-duplicate username to Jason's...I made sure to make my signature very different so you could all tell.

My first official LARP experience was a hasty session of Mind's Eye Theater in my friend's backyard when I barely knew the rules for Vampire. I didn't really enjoy it much and it was kind of hokey. My first REAL LARPing experience was in November, and now I'm hooked!

As for my history, I've been playing RPGs in various ways (computer, table-top, online, NES, and other consoles) since I was in 1st grade when I made graph-paper dungeon maps for my brother's D&D sessions. But those were merely a gateway into many things based on a High Fantasy setting: I've since graduated to Ren Faires, Amtgard, Belegarth, and now Alliance. I even relied heavily on fantasy novels to get me through all of my "creative writing" assignments in school.

I like working with computers and working with my hands, so I've taught myself a few programming languages and I used to work in construction. Working for my brother in construction didn't pan out, so that was enough of that. I now work with computers as a Marine, and love it. To keep my hands busy, I like to try out different crafty things: that's why I made my chainmaille vest (and other non-LARP maille stuff, like a chain whip) and why I'm learning to mold foam. It's also gotten me to get into cardstock-modeling and leather-working.

My wife and 1-year-old take up most of the rest of my free time, although I would like to get back to school sometime soon to finish a degree...in anything...

Umm....I think that's about all that pertains to this introduction. If you have any other questions, my life's a pretty open book. Just ask.

Hello, my name is Tysa.

I'm a theatre geek and a history nut with a love of shakespeare and an overactive imagination. Up until a little over a year ago, I thought a LARPer was a kind of D&D slime monster. I blame this on a Munchkin card and a high school boyfriend who couldn't admit he was wrong.

Last summer Alison S, my best friend since kindergarden, told me she was taking me to her LARP group; she needed more female Gypsies. I should be ready with a corset, bright costume, and accent. I thought, "Why not?" The rest just sort of happened. LARP combines all sorts of things I love, like sewing, dress up, camping, acting, and men wielding swords.

Back