Introductions

Axe is one handed edged. You could have a thrusting tip on it if you want, but you can also opt not to. My axe does not have one. But I have seen axes with thrusting tips before.

Thank you very much; that was the big hang up I was having with listing my skills for my character.

You cannot thrust with axes, im pretty sure. You could have that tip on there, but because Its not a legal move (someone double check that, but Im pretty sure), the weapon construction doesnt call for it.

As long as it is safe, I don't see anything that prohibits thrusting with an axe. It just says that blunt can't be used to thrust and that if you intend to thrust, you have to have a thrusting tip.

"Blunt weapons, axes, one handed spears and polearms must have a padded head that is shaped appropriate to the weapon type. This padded head must be made out of foam and it must be placed over the 5/8” pipe insulation that covers the core. The head must be noticeably thicker than the pipe insulation and should squash easily. Everything above the grip area must be padded – like all weapons, any part that might come into contact with your opponents should have foam padding. Note that blunt weapons may never be used to thrust."

Again, I could be wrong as well. The weapon construction guidelines leave a lot open to interpretation by our local rules/weapons marshals.

As long as it is safe, I don't see anything that prohibits thrusting with an axe. It just says that blunt can't be used to thrust and that if you intend to thrust, you have to have a thrusting tip.

"Blunt weapons, axes, one handed spears and polearms must have a padded head that is shaped appropriate to the weapon type. This padded head must be made out of foam and it must be placed over the 5/8” pipe insulation that covers the core. The head must be noticeably thicker than the pipe insulation and should squash easily. Everything above the grip area must be padded – like all weapons, any part that might come into contact with your opponents should have foam padding. Note that blunt weapons may never be used to thrust."

Again, I could be wrong as well. The weapon construction guidelines leave a lot open to interpretation by our local rules/weapons marshals.

So to play on that, and ask another question, can you use a latex weapon? I wasn't sure about weapon construction so I ordered a LARP latex battleax for my character to use.

So...yes with caveats. You can use latex weapons but they need to be approved. My suggestion if you have any questions, contact either Trace or Zach at Weapons@alliancedenver.com before you buy or make anything.

So...yes with caveats. You can use latex weapons but they need to be approved. My suggestion if you have any questions, contact either Trace or Zach at Weapons@alliancedenver.com before you buy or make anything.

Oops! Well, hopefully what I bought is good... if not, I may have to scramble to get one made real quick, and in a hurry! Thanks for that heads up; it would have been embarassing to show up with something that was a No-go for the game.

There are some other mechanics that involve blunt damage vs slashing damage (Certain monsters react differently to blunt vs slash, etc) but yeah as far as weapons go, buying something can be a crap shoot. As long as it's safe, it should be ok... but be prepared for the possibility of the weapon being rejected by the marshals. Even if you contact them ahead of time, it can be one of those "I need to feel it and check it physically" before you can be sure of approval.

Official Safety Marshal response: There is a safety component to the question of whether axes can be used for thrusting, and a rules component to the question. I'll leave the rules interpretation to others qualified to speak to that.

From the safety perspective, per PDF p. 81 of the Alliance rulebook, "All weapons which are intended to allow thrusting must have a thrusting tip. A thrusting tip consists of at least two inches of open cell
foam padding beyond the end of the pipe insulation."

Most axes do not have thrusting tips. And by "most axes," I mean that I have never seen a single axe constructed so that it includes one. No thrusting tip = No thrusting.

Trace Moriarty
Safety & Weapons Marshal
Alliance Denver

OK, so based on that I should probably go ahead and find a way to get my weapon approved? Or should I start making a home-made one now? Since I'm down in the Springs, I'm not sure what the chances are of getting it checked prior to my first game in a few weeks and I don't want to get caught without a weapon.

OK, so based on that I should probably go ahead and find a way to get my weapon approved? Or should I start making a home-made one now? Since I'm down in the Springs, I'm not sure what the chances are of getting it checked prior to my first game in a few weeks and I don't want to get caught without a weapon.

If you're going to the new player day/orientation on April 3 (next friday), you could bring it and have it checked. All weapons have to be re-checked at game as well, but obviously if something has passed before, it should pass again (assuming it hasn't degenerated into an unsafe pile of foam and fiberglass).

Also, many people have spares you could potentially use. My collection of weapons is growing so I plan to bring at least 1-2 one-hand edged weapons to game going forward. Ultimately I wouldn't worry about being without a weapon, but it might be good to secure a spare just in case a few days before game. = )

If you're going to the new player day/orientation on April 3 (next friday), you could bring it and have it checked. All weapons have to be re-checked at game as well, but obviously if something has passed before, it should pass again (assuming it hasn't degenerated into an unsafe pile of foam and fiberglass).

Also, many people have spares you could potentially use. My collection of weapons is growing so I plan to bring at least 1-2 one-hand edged weapons to game going forward. Ultimately I wouldn't worry about being without a weapon, but it might be good to secure a spare just in case a few days before game. = )

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. So where is the New Player Orientation next Friday (3 April?)? I would love to make it, meet some people, and at least get a chance to get an understanding of how everything works.

Hey everyone! Thanks for an awesome first game! I had a blast. I had to leave early because of the nature of my job, but I'm really excited about the May game as well. I really enjoyed playing an elusive orc and I really enjoyed all the RP, especially the handful of interactions with a certain dwarf who wasn't to fond of my presence. I enjoyed exploring and patrolling as well! Thanks again!

Back