Introductions

Good evening everyone! Figured I'd jump in here and introduce myself since I already posted to another thread.

I'm John-Paul, and I originally hail from the Little Rock, AR area where I was involved in a couple of LARP environments. The local SCA chapter jokingly referred to me as a "festival member" since I always showed up to public events they were at. I also played Amtgard for a number of years, mostly in the role of Dungar the Goblin, though I worked hard over a number of months play testing a lycanthrope NPC type as well. I moved to Denver for a job opportunity and have loved the area ever since I moved.

I was introduced to Alliance Denver at the recent Rocky Mountain Fur Con 2014. I had an absolute blast -- my kindest regards to the people there who watched me struggle to create my own character instead of one of the pre-generated characters and gave me every tool they had to enable it so I could have fun with the module in my own personal way. Because of that great introduction, both to the people and the game, I am going to try my hardest to make it to the August event as an NPC.

I've been working hard on my PC concept for the past week... I'm a little nervous as it's grown a bit bigger than I intended, so the plot committee is either going to love me or loathe me. I'm hoping to have at least the beginnings of a costume for the character by October's event so I can debut him then (pending logistics review of course). I've really tried to develop him a character that will be both engaging for me to play and for others to meet.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at the Ducal Tournament!

Hello!

I am Golanth of Centennial and I am new to this whole sort of thing. Seeing as I am new, I have many questions that I would like answered. I am just starting college (Still in Colorado) and unfortunately cant make it for the next tournament. I have shown up for one fighter practice but work and family keep me busy :(. I have experience with role-playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons although the race I play there is not allowed here (unfortunate really as I love dragonborn-like creatures especially for role play I would even settle for just a wylderkin version of it where I am like most other wylderkin in the fact that I dont have a breath weapon like fire). It would be beneficial for me to be inputted into the database so I can make a player sheet as Knowledge is Power. This holds true especially for me. In order to role play correctly, I like knowing my abilities and fighting style beforehand. I am already thinking of a warrior type class. Auric in logistics unfortunately will not allow me to do this until I am in the Denver Database.

Hi Golanth, welcome to Alliance!

Sorry to read that you've got your heart set on a race that is not within the scope of the story we're telling with this game. Have you considered working that into your character's persona in other ways? For example, maybe your character always wanted to be a dragon, and hopes to transform into one someday, or learn their magic, or just meet one, or have confirmation that they really exist -- something along those lines. You can make that part of your character's story, and still pursue the themes and flavor that you enjoy about it... even if you can't do parlor tricks roasting marshmallows for your friends with your bad breath. ;)

Mac McCammon Fawkes is our Logistics Manager -- I think he may be the person whose name you might have misheard as Auric. I think perhaps the issue may be that one's membership has to be paid before entering your character into the database, if I understand our game's policies correctly. Alliance offers a $10 trial membership for a limited time -- and that money applies toward the $30 full year membership when you pick that up later. Once you're a member of the organization, you can get your Player Character on the books, you can volunteer at events as an NPC for free, and start earning rewards that will benefit your PC later. Meanwhile, by all means, play with some character builds on your own. There's nothing about putting your character in a database that makes that character any more real for your imagination or your plans -- start dreaming!

As you have other questions, please feel free to start a new thread about them elsewhere in this website forum, or hit up the Alliance LARP Denver group on Facebook -- which is super active. We really pride ourselves on the welcoming nature of our community. I'm sure you'll find no shortage at all of players happy to help answer your questions, and aid you in your setup to come out and play with us!

Take care,
Trace Moriarty

Golanth, you could go with a lizard-kin, like Roarke is a Snake-Kin (Drake Kin? Lizard Kin?) and people talk about how he's a dragon kin waiting on his wings. Your sheet can say Lizard-kin, but you can always talk up IG how you're a dragon kin.

Welcome Patrick! It was a pleasure to meet you at the event this weekend. You absolutely landed Mur; I couldn't help but laugh my butt off in-game and out-of-game at your AMAZING ability to role play his energy, enthusiasm, and utter ineptness. I was playing Dolar Sit at the time and you certainly provided some very excellent RP interaction, and for this, I give you my thanks!

Well I've been to two games, figured I should probably post something on here saying hi. Soo.....

Hi! I'm Tyler! I attended the July & August events, and anticipate seeing everyone on site tomorrow (as long as the head cold I've been dealing with this week gets better/goes away...) I am technically an import to Colorado, though only technically since I moved here in late 2000... so I've almost lived here as long as I lived in my home town of Burbank, California. In my teenage years I played some table-top (AD&D 2nd edition, WEG Star Wars, & Shadowrun mostly) and was part of a convention-attending competitive group called "Quest Club". I also attended a LARP organized by people in that area called "Campaign" (www.xaria.org, which is still operating it seems). That group was much smaller than this one, but fun all the same.

I was introduced to this group by a friend Leora (Alis, in game), who was going to give it a try, mentioned it in conversation, and I think was surprised when I essentially invited myself along. All in all I've never been very good at the role-play aspect in terms of getting into the character's mindset, but it's something I've always wanted to improve on, and I definitely have fun doing.

In my every day life I am a Systems/Application Engineer for Pearson (the big company that prints all the textbooks & such) out of an office in the Southglenn mall.

I've now been on both the NPC and PC side of things, think you're all wonderful people, and am hoping to continue making events and helping to build the story.

-Tyler
(Skeld Ravensguard)

Last edited:
A bit late on the introductions for myself as most of you have met me either in game as the wonderfully horned, moderately inebriated Lucian of Tiatar.

My name is Val and I come from the various mixed realities of non-boffer LARPs along the the usual pen and paper games. I've been a Storyteller and a Coordinator along with the usual Player we all enjoy being. I blame Jules, Ray, Kat (among others) for dragging me into this venue and I haven't been able to thank them enough as I've had a blast from day one, even on the off days. I've been in Colorado for over a decade now. For work, I'm a federal contractor for (redacted) doing (redacted). ;) As a hobby, I do leather crafting by building or customizing the oddities I run around with.

For Alliance, I've been on the PC side only but I'm helping out with the Acarthian Times to add a touch of flavor and style. I'm looking forward to finishing out this season and then waiting impatiently with everyone for it to start back up. :)

Hey, my name is Zach

I figured I would post on here because I have always wanted to try LARPing! I'm quite familiar with RP in general because I DM various tabletop RPGs and RP on MMOs. So things like Meta-gaming and all that jazz are clear with me. But the specifics like combat in a LARP group aren't clear because well -- I've never done it.

What would be the best way for me to get into LARPing, specifically Alliance? I browsed a little on the website and found that NPCing might be a good way.

What would you recommend I do?
I would not be opposed to having a "mentor" figure or two for at least while I NPC. Might even spawn a character idea...

Welcome to Alliance ^_^

What would be the best way for me to get into LARPing, specifically Alliance? I browsed a little on the website and found that NPCing might be a good way.

What would you recommend I do?
I would not be opposed to having a "mentor" figure or two for at least while I NPC. Might even spawn a character idea...

NPCing is an excellent way to get started!

In NPC camp we'll train you on all of the basics and can help you flesh out character ideas. It's intense, but it also will help narrow things down in terms of what you want to be.

An article that might help is NPC 101: Surviving Your First Weekend as an NPC while NPC 101: What to Expect will give you a little bit of a feel for the layout and a crash course on some of what to expect.

Let us know if you have any questions. We have a 1 day coming up sometime at the end of January which is generally a good opportunity to get a feel for things without having to make the full-on commitment of a weekend and gives you a good chance to see what it is all about.

Welcome Zach!

Join our FB page, and come out to a combat practice sometime too if you're curious on the rules and combat.

Hi Zach! I second Porch's comment above about joining the Facebook group, "Alliance LARP Denver." It's suuuper active (god help you if you get stuck in one of our Spiderman-themed meme threads!). That's a great location to get to know some of our community socially, and certainly the place to stay up-to-the-minute with events. Our community is incredibly active socially; every week there's something going on around here.

In Arvada, we have a weekly fighter practice on Sundays at 2:00 (all but the worst weather permitting). You'll see weekly status updates usually on Thursdays from Mike Porch in the Facebook group. Colorado Springs is working to get its own fighter practice going, usually on Saturdays -- updates also in Facebook. Those events are a fantastic place to get started! They're unofficial, just a bunch of players getting together in the park. Good time to shake some hands, meet people face-to-face, and of course get some lessons and practice in with boffer fighting. People tend to bring lots of extra weapons, and we meet a lot of new players there, so this is an ideal setting for your introduction.

Otherwise, you'll find plenty of friendly players here eager to help you get settled in. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime (Facebook or trace.moriarty@gmail.com preferred to private message here, but I'll see that, too... eventually) with questions or ideas about your character, and so forth. I'm sure many of us look forward to helping you get started!

Welcome!

Trace Moriarty

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jarrod. I've never actually LARPed before... I tried to attend the event in October, but made the mistake of checking my phone and having to high tail it out of there after only being there a few hours.

I'm hoping to be there for both the April and May events and I look forward to finally being able to play and see what LARP is all about!

Last edited:
Welcome! Glad your planning to give the weekend a try!

If you have any questions you can check out the Facebook group as well.

Hey there...

I've actually tried to get into Alliance before, but I got so nervous that I didn't show. But now I've mustered the courage to try. I even have an ideal character in mind. Still looking for the character sheets to submit her, though.

I plan to be a Wylderkin, namely of the raccoon type. Her name is undecided for now, but her personality and history are pretty clear to me. The 'Coon-Kin has a cute kind of feel to her. She's a little chubby, has a bright and shiny optimism for things, and is always eager to learn things. She also has little history; It gives me more room to build. She is planned to be a bit of a comedy relief, but she can be serious when the situation calls for it. She has a touch of kleptomania in a way; She loves to steal things of even slight use to her. Even if that use is able to be fulfilled with mere rope. She is serious when it comes to thieving, mostly. See that shiny artifact that she thinks could be useful? She's going to attempt to steal it any second now. Any second now...

So, I've already begun to assemble a costume. Have the claws, and I sewed the tail...need clothing, paws for the claws to work with, sew some ears, and some way for me to look good with face paint or that magical spirit gum.

We totally don't bite Gem!

Come on by this weekend for the RP event, try out a fighter practice, or come to an event when you're ready. We also do crafting days as well (almost sure one is this saturday). We're a pretty community-community, as in we believe in being as inclusive as possible. Your Wylderkin sounds fun! We've talked about how we need some Racoon-kin here with a lot of the traits you mentioned! Sounds awesome.

Join our facebook group, there is a lot of links there (and here in a post) that can help you get involved where you'd like to at your own pace.

Back