It can't rain all the time...

jnelson

Adept
So, I've been out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean for the last week... (not really, we're only about 30 miles off the east coast, and a bit south), but I know it has been raining like nothing else in the midwest. Is everyone OK? We've been hearing some crazy rumors of the way things are flooding out there...lots of 2nd and 3rd hand information. IA's pretty much underwater, from what I understand. How are the other folks? Everyone holding their own?

-Joy

We're all peachy and keen as best I can tell you, Joyful. Water hasn't really hit Josh or I's places yet. It has made getting around town kinda difficult, but... yanno. It happens.

But we're all okay. No worries. So far we've been fortunate. Now if only mother nature could cut us a break. ;P

They raised the levees at Sailorville two nights ago, which has more or less flooded downtown -- but they had to in order to relieve the pressure. The water is expected to begin receeding as of today. However, i-80 was at a standstill as people slowed to eyeball the flooding. They closed 63rd st. Your dad says that their basement is still dry. Josh was at your place today with his pops and your basement is damp but more or less dry.

There was an icky tornado at a boyscout camp during a leadership camp-out. Four boys died, many more sustained injuries. It's been a really sad day on the news. :( The story's been all over -- even national news coverage. That's how horrible the damage was. The Today show was broadcasting live this morning when I cranked on the telly. I can't even tell you how scary it was driving home last night as literal sheets of water fell onto my car. I couldn't even see the road. It was like trying to use the force to navigate. It was mostly guessing and slow-going. Hopefully the rain will hold off for a day or two. That would be nice. It's plenty sunny and hot -- and we burn a lot of it off during the day -- problem is, more comes down at night.

Waterworks is pretty flooded, but that place is a fortress since the flood of 93. They're not even worried about the water supply yet, so that's nice.

So mostly, being out on the ocean is sorta like being home -- without the adorable pug. :D You're not missing much, though I think we're gonna go somewheres this weekend for my b-b-b-birthday, and I'm sad you can't be here to share it. We're thinking of you, though.

Say safe, lady. :) You'll be back soon enough.

And dry. Dry is a good thing.

Thanks, lady, for the quick reply. I've been worried about you folks there...phone service is really spotty at the moment, and is going to get more so as the exercise continues. I don't expect my phone to work until, MAYBE, late on the 18th.

The weather hasn't been bad out here (thankfully! The last thing I want when I can't see land is a storm!), hot but as dry as you can get with nothing all around you but deep blue water. Keep me posted here on things at home? I try not to worry, but you know how we do. :)

Happy b-day in advance!!

-Joy

Well they are going to close I-80 tomorrow so getting to Des Moines this weekend will be a tough one for us out east, but a promise is a promise. Hope to see you soon Joy. Be safe out there. We live like 10 blocks from the Mississippi River so should be fun.

Sincerely,

Chicago land hasnt gotten to much rain, though we have been under constant tornado watch today and a couple of days ago was most of the day aswell.

jnelson said:
So, I've been out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean for the last week... (not really, we're only about 30 miles off the east coast, and a bit south), but I know it has been raining like nothing else in the midwest. Is everyone OK? We've been hearing some crazy rumors of the way things are flooding out there...lots of 2nd and 3rd hand information. IA's pretty much underwater, from what I understand. How are the other folks? Everyone holding their own?

-Joy

I don't know about the rest of the midwest, but Michigan got dumped on pretty badly as well. My neighbor's horseranch is underwater. :(

Does he have seahorses?

There are a couple small creeks running across my basement floor. Other than that, it has been a bit of a rough week. This afternoon on the way home I spotted the manholes at 2nd Ave and University blowing off, and they're doing the same all over downtown. Only reason we haven't quite hit 1993 levels of bad is the 10' or so they added to the levees after that flood.

I haven't actually been home for any of the storms that hit BC.... I've been in Chi-town every time... but my yard bone dry and so is the rest of town... and we live in a valley. This Saturday BC still has the Worlds Longest Breakfast Table planned so I would imagine everything is fine.

Josh and I came up with the idea we could launch Kyaks off of the balcony if it gets really bad (we live on the 3rd floor) You should hurry back joy, you can go boating with us!

Jeromy

The USNS Comfort is classified as a T-AH 20. It's a hospital ship that also happens to be the largest medical treatment facility in US posession. Not just largest floating facility...the largest facility period. It has a 1000 bed capacity with multiple operating rooms, fully functional radiology department, 50 bed ER, and multiple ICU's.

She generates her own oxygen through a filtering system, can filter up to 30,000 gallons of sea water into fresh water daily, and has the largest floating helicopter landing pad of any US Naval hospital ship. This thing is huge...894 feet long, height equivilant of a 10 story building at her highest point.

jnelson said:
The USNS Comfort is classified as a T-AH 20. It's a hospital ship that also happens to be the largest medical treatment facility in US posession. Not just largest floating facility...the largest facility period. It has a 1000 bed capacity with multiple operating rooms, fully functional radiology department, 50 bed ER, and multiple ICU's.

She generates her own oxygen through a filtering system, can filter up to 30,000 gallons of sea water into fresh water daily, and has the largest floating helicopter landing pad of any US Naval hospital ship. This thing is huge...894 feet long, height equivilant of a 10 story building at her highest point.

Nice...

But does it come with racing stripes? :D

Do multiple red crosses, each arm measuring 27 ft across count? There are three on each side of the ship, smaller one's on the towers (don't know the naval term), and a larger one on the upper deck.

That's awesome.

No kidding, that tops the biggest boat I have ever been on, just WOW.

Well, now we've got thunderstorms moving in off the coast of South Carolina, so we just pulled up anchor and finished tying everything down. We can definately feel the motion now as the ship is getting tossed around a little...not bad, but it's a lot easier to tell that we're actually floating, as opposed to just being in an oddly shaped building. We're supposed to get 7-10 foot seas tonight, which means waves up to 10 ft tall. If I can, I'll get some pictures, but my camera hasn't been working well (batteries are running low) and they're talking about not letting us up top if the weather gets bad.

Back