Jack-o-lanterns and undead

Zephrin

Greetings citizens of Barran,

In my homelands of Icenia, jack-o-lanterns have a special property around this time of year, one of being able to keep undead at bay when a lit candle is placed within. This is going to be my first harvest in Barran and I am wondering if jack-o-lanterns have a similar effect in these lands as well. If so, are there any types or styles that seem to work better than others?

Zephrin

Zephrin,

I am going to say no but I could be incorrect.

I've seen undead be unafraid of a fires glow or light. Though in some cases crumble to the strike of flame related swords and spells.

I'm guessing you are referring as well to the face a carved gourd gives off to scare them away. I haven't seen an undead in Barran fear a vicious bark, an orcs war scream, or the growl of barbarian which, in my opinion, a little more frightening than a delicious gourd.

I could be wrong but if they were I'm sure every cabin and ward would be dressed to the nines with them. I'd say save your dagger to carve the undead into pieces and hope you survive the night to sink a drooling fang into a fresh gourd for breakfast.

Corporal Zimps

It's not that the jack o' lantern scares the undead so much that at that time of year it acts as shun or repel effect if I recall correctly. I never bothered to ask how it came about, I just just know it came in extremely handy.
Trevor

It doesn't hurt to try Zeph. I know I will

With luck, we'll encounter undead with a healthy respect for clever decorating. At worst, they'll petulantly smash them. I plan on coating the bottoms of mine with paste of stickiness to prevent against skeletal vandals.

- Rali

On this note, I will be selling pastes of stickiness in the name of the Alchemical Brotherhood. Please see me should you be in need of them prior to the gather so that I may plan my stocks accordingly.

Does that mean you'll be gracing us with your presence Rock?

-T

Santet, I am excited to see you! Additionally, pumpkins ARE for pie. You are the most correct person in this Dream.

In Service,
Tvard Sendal

Autumnal joy abounds!!!!
We will have innumerable - by innumerable I mean approximately five - carved pumpkins and nothing will diminish my autumnal joy - not even the inefficiency of jack-o-lanterns as a preventative measure against the nocturnal advances of the undead.

Additionally, if anyone enjoys baked goods infused with pumpkin, Ama'rali has chained herself to the oven and has been screeching about "pumpkin spice everything" for nearly two weeks now. I suspect we will have all kinds of treats for sale/trade. Please, buy them. If you do not, she will force me to eat them and I sincerely and ardently despise most things pumpkin-flavored.

Help me.
V

I'm not certain why you think I will force-feed you something I am quite capable of readily consuming myself.

I will also most likely be spending an inappropriate amount of time leaping into piles of leaves.

- Rali

Last edited:
I will take anything pumpkin you have Rali.

-Chulainn

I have sinked my fangs into many of pumpkins and many of pies but I dont
Think I had the pleasure of eating a pie made out of pumpkin. Maybe ill have to give it a try one of these moons, perhaps a pie made of pumpkin is a lot easier to eat than a pumpkin itself. It tends to be hard and stringy

Chulainn, we have many very serious conversations to have. Mostly about pumpkins. Probably while eating pumpkins.

((Furious screeching.))

--NOT EVEN MOVE THERE ARE SO MANY PIES IN THIS KITCHEN--

Stop misleading people, mother. There are also pumpkin rolls and more than a few apples scattered about.

What have I done now that requires serious conversations? Start stacking them V to make pathways.

I need to discuss with you a vehement love of pumpkins. Is is very serious.

Back