Kalin, Fantastic Healer...but no undead hunter.

Kevar,

Stand for what is right, it is obvious that your comrads have fallen and wish to take the Earthen Fist with them. Stand for what you are now. Stand for Wayside, stand for Briar Pass, stand for the planes. Stand. Stand along side me, your sister in arms, against those who have given up their humanity. They will underestimate us and try to tear us down but I know that together we will be all right.

Citizens of Briar Pass,

Lurin and Runir have given up their lives and will. So then we as a town must keep ours.

Yes I am speaking of the same tower as he is on the last page of the book. And Rieley if you would like to see it I will take you to it any time that you want.

Liddia FallingStar Mistress of Mushroom Hallow

Though Liddia may have been told he was "The Hero" by the mysterious tower, I can tell you almost a year ago when I heard that name spoken originally.

It was spoken to me by the Lord of the Winter Wind himself, Lord Galleous.

I recall this, because this is the same day I made a deal with him about a bride. One which is slowly coming toward its year turnover.

Why he is attributed the title, I could not get Galleous to say. What sort of "hero" Targis -- Targasseous -- whatever he wants to present himself as -- is, I cannot tell you.

Perhaps he'd see well to enlighten us.

Or Perhaps not child Elysia.

-Lord Galleous of Winter Wind

Oh, I didn't expect you to say, Galleous.

I was waiting for Targis to enlighten.

Not that I'm holding my breath at all, mind you.

I not sure what you are talking about 'Lysia, why I can help to tell you bout da Hero or something? I be pretty sure you are confusing me again.

Dramthin, tell her she is confusing herself please.

Targus

While I cannot say that I have spoken with you at length, traveler, I can say you have never spoken with me about heroes, heroism, or heroics. Mostly, I believe we would speak about vintages of Romani wine and the likelihood you could find a warm farm-girl for the night. But no, I cannot say I've heard you mention any heroes.

Master Dramthin Hartbsoon
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Targus,

I'm not confused. You just think that I'm doe-eyed to what you are, and that's fine. You can decide what you'd like about my naïveté, but I know what I Saw, and what others have said and seen.

It's not my fault that The Hero's hand dipped and I saw his cards.

No, you are not The Hero... per se. I suspect you are something akin to him. A conduit, a ghoul, a... something. It matters to me very little what the particulars are. All I know is that you're working for him.

I'm fairly certain Garmok could back me up on this one, since he confirmed what my Sight has been showing me for some time.

Liddia doesn't want to believe it, and I'm sorry it pains her so, but the truth will not be laid low for long and I've to think about the safety of Briarpass and its citizens as well.

And you'll have to forgive me Dramthin, for not taking your word on this... just this once. I think you can understand my reasoning.

Lysia, these falsehoods have to stop. perhaps I stand in circle for you? with Regent Renley to identify my creature type? perhaps you would like ta name da person? or more than one? Otherwise stop makin fool accusations...me.. a ghoul... ha!

Targus

I'm not sure why my opinion would be invalidated on this particular topic, especially being that I have no real stance either way. As I said, I know very litte of the man. I do know, however, that he has been accused by many people in town, both within and without the GFW, and I have yet to see any conclusive proof beyond a smattering of loose theories, ranging from circumstantial evidence to out and out bigotry.

Really, it seems more that he's Romani and the late Prince Quassim was Romani and the "where's there's smoke there's fire" concept is in full force.

He's offering himself up for Ritual Identification: from what I understand, that's a fairly accurate way to assess such things. There are experts in both the Earth and Celestial guild who, I'm sure, would identify and scrutinize the results, for a nominal fee.

Master Dramthin Hartsboon

That sounds like a most excellent idea Dramthan.

Liddia

So do we have a deal? I stand in circle and let your formalist identify me?

Targus

Why?

That's not going to prove anything either way.

It would prove he's trusting enough to trap himself in a magical circle of power of your choosing with a judge of your choosing. I think that, in itself, speaks volumes for the man's sincerity. Really, what would sooth fears over his character? Or would you have pervasive rumours and scandle a life of its own, regardless of fact?

Master Dramthin Hartsboon

If Targus is going to allow this I think that it will put peoples fears to rest. Then we can move on to this Hero and the whole Romani bring undead problem.

Liddia FallingStar Mistress of Mushroom Hallow

It won't change anything.

Thats Right Togashin!

We used to think you one with the darkness... now your begining to prove your mettle against Dark Gypsie stench! Brother Renlee and I wont be fooled by his tricks and neither will you.

We could use someone like you...

Brother Cole

I hate to break it to all of you, but my mind will not be changed on this. I've many reasons, and I'm not going to lay them all out here for debate.

I will state, however, some clarifications:

-- It is not because Targus is a gypsy that I believe this about him. So you can stop lumping me in with the accolytes of the GFW. I do believe gypsies bring undead, but not through any doing of their own. I think they were cursed by a powerful one of their own. That is why this seems only to be truth in Wayside. Do not think, however, that his Romani heritage is the cause for my belief. It is insulting to my intelligence.

-- For the select few who know The Hero's true name, I urge you to engage your brain, and try not to be clouded by personal will or need. Liddia, just because you don't want something to be true, does not make it a lie.

-- He can crawl into any circle and be identified by any number of certifiable formalists. I see no problems with this. I do not, however, think it will do much good, since there are balances to everything. There are ways for vampires to walk in sunlight, and there are ways to circumvent or confuse formal magics. Nothing in this world is absolute. I do not think his willingness to do so makes him more or less guilty or innocent. I do not think for an instant that he will come to the circle unprepared, for no one would.

That said, I've no problem with him wanting to be identified, or with anyone who wants to putting up the time and money to see it done. I'm just stating from the outset that it will not change my mind, no matter the outcome. It is the lot of those with the Sight to have to watch such things unfold, their cries ignored. It is called the Cassandra phenomenon, and it is something that though frustrating, I am working on accepting. I have said my peace to everyone on this issue, and given my reasons multiple times. I will not shout myself hoarse on this. It is not my fault that some cannot accept truth when it is presented.

Though I do not wish you to suffer, I will not do more than lead you to the truth. I cannot make you believe in it as well. To do so or to not do so -- that is your will, and your choice. When the pieces fall -- and I've a sense that they are currently beginning to descend -- all will be revealed and I'll have little sympathy for the tears of those who got caught underneath.

Now enough dreaming. I've got gingerbread to bake.

Back