Let's go play AL this weekend!

We used to be NERO, and then we split off and became the NERO Alliance. When we finally decided to stop using NERO, the most obvious choice for a name for consistency was Alliance.

But it doesn't flow off the tongue as well as NERO does. And people still say "I'm playing NERO this weekend" when they mean Alliance. Sometimes Heidi and I even do that.

So what do we do? Should people say "I'm playing Al this weekend"? Is there something else we can say? :|

(In all seriousness, I don't think there is an answer to this!)

I don't like saying I'm gonna play Al - I don't think it flows and Al is a guy's name so it makes it kind of weird. I don;t always say Alliance but I think I'd say Alliance more than Al.

Depends on the audience, I either say "I'm going larping this weekend" or "I'm playing Alliance this weekend". I think I only revert to calling it "NERO" when that's my audience's common frame of reference (i.e. some old players have a hard time switching).

I've never thought about it, but the local culture up here seems to be to reference what chapter you are attending, more then what game. IE. 'I'm going down to play Chicago this weekend' or 'Who's coming with me to crash SoMin?' or 'I'm hopping the pond to TC it up'

Lurin said:
I've never thought about it, but the local culture up here seems to be to reference what chapter you are attending, more then what game. IE. 'I'm going down to play Chicago this weekend' or 'Who's coming with me to crash SoMin?' or 'I'm hopping the pond to TC it up'

Maybe it's a midwest thing? We do it too in Chi-town. Or, we reference the owners... "We're going to beat on Glaeser this weekend".. or "Time to throw birdseed at Paul"...

I've heard...

"I'm going up to the woods this weekend."
"I'm going to Alliance this weekend."
"I'm going to my boffer larp this weekend."

The last being the most common. The SF bay area seems to have a plethora of various types of larps, mostly of the vampire variety. We have two significant boffer larps in the area; us and Realms of Conflict (RoC)... and we've recently started working together a bit to player share and grow both our games.

But that's not terribly cool sounding either. :p

Um... I think the problem is the name is so short. If there was a 'Fantasy' stuck in the middle it could be AFL... but not at the end cause I wouldn't want to go play ALF. :nerd:

jpariury said:
Depends on the audience, I either say "I'm going larping this weekend" or "I'm playing Alliance this weekend". I think I only revert to calling it "NERO" when that's my audience's common frame of reference (i.e. some old players have a hard time switching).

I guess the midwesterner in me shows: Oregon Alliance = 'Heading to Brooks', Seattle Alliance = 'Heading to Seattle'.

Yea I honestly think saying 'I'm going to play Alliance' seems fine... :)

I usually tell everybody "I'm traveling to a mystical realm of magic, medieval weaponry and people who look like cats"

Dom said:
I usually tell everybody "I'm traveling to a mystical realm of magic, medieval weaponry and people who look like cats"

People who look like cats? Those are just rumor and speculation, at least they are here...

I know most of the newer players in SoMN either refer to it as "Going to play in SoMN" or actually quite often "Going to play alliance this weekend". Since the play base here is very new most started when it was just alliance, and the only people I hear slip up are the ones that had been playing for years before.

I don't think it is that big of an issue, with time it will shift, and unless you want to rename the game completely, I think it is fine as is.

When I use the name, it usually comes out with the "A" not enunciated, as in "I'm going to play 'liance this weekend."

Due to my co-workers not really understanding the concept of, nor the reasons for LARPing, my most common statement is "I'm going camping."

Less common are "I'm going to geek out this weekend.", "I'm going to go fighting." (or "swordfighting"), and "I'm going to Win this weekend."

I fall into the newer player category, as mentioned above, though I have heard several "more seasoned" players refer to it as NERO throughout the course of a conversation.

-Luke

I've gotten into the habit of substituting "Alley" for "NERO" - it works like a charm (even down to being a very awkward sounding gerund).

Since our site used to be a dairy farm, I often say "I'm going up to the nerd farm."

My attempts to grow players has thus far failed. I even tried using mountain dew as fertilizer.

Scott

Duke Frost said:
Since our site used to be a dairy farm, I often say "I'm going up to the nerd farm."

My attempts to grow players has thus far failed. I even tried using mountain dew as fertilizer.

Scott

But did you seed the ground with d12's or d20's? I find using a mulch 30% Old character cards and 70% old monster cards is the ideal combination for the best growing conditions. My personal preference is a high rogue/plant-monster combination as they tend to take to the ground faster than most. Though I have found that spectral undead can cause players to pop up quickly and unexpectantly, but they tend to not last as long.

You'd have some hyper players growing there, Scott.

Unless you're trying to create an army of NPCs. :whaa:

As for me I just say, "I'm going to Alliance," or "I'm going to HQ."

Duke Frost said:

Scott
Can we sit on a porch in rocking chairs with our whittlin' sticks and jaw on about "When I was third level..." while gazing out over the funyun fields and yelling at those damn dryads to get off our lawn?

Also, might need to use Brawndo.

jpariury said:
Also, might need to use Brawndo.
¡It's what PCs crave!

Brawndo turns haters into babies and babies into man-babies

Back