Linkmaster wanted

I'm looking for someone who is responsible and wants to help us get links for our web page.

You'd be responsible for taking the links on the current page, organizing them, and seeking out more.

The more links we have, the more people visit the site, the higher we are on Google, and so on.

If you're interested, post something here.

This refers to reciprocal links, correct? The person would put links on this site but also make sure they got links in return. I'm not interested in the job but I can offer some tips on how to make reciprocal linking more effective.

yeah, you can as many links as you want on your site, but it's only going to really matter if people are linking to you, not the other way around.

Yep, we need people to link to us more than anything else, but I'd also like to have our links page better organized and larger, plus someone needs to check to make sure all the links are valid and that the other side has linked back to us properly. (I am guessing that some of the links still lead to "nerohq.com")

nerohq.com is not the website?

Just a thought..

Linking is a great beginning, I've seen it be very successful when taking it one step further.

Have you considered setting up limited strategic partnerships with other organizations? Links tend to lose their power/appeal when there are tons and tons of them on your website, whereas if you're setting up partnerships that provide benefit to both parties (such as discounts, marketing value, etc.) then the consumer on both sides is more likely to click the link and get actively involved.

What Christina said.

Also, we might want to consider extending a hand to other local LARPs (Mythical Journeys, Sidereus, Madrical) since we all are collectively interested in the same thing and it might bring us a fresh interest not just from new players, but other experienced LARPers and gamers.

An entire marketing strategy really needs to be developed (maybe it has been?) and implemented IMO. website needs redesigned (i know we still need to talk about all that mike) and much more. There's a tons of things that can be done without spending a dime with all the talented and connected people we have playing the game. It's just finding the time to do it all that's the pain.

Robb Graves said:
An entire marketing strategy really needs to be developed (maybe it has been?) and implemented IMO. website needs redesigned (i know we still need to talk about all that mike) and much more. There's a tons of things that can be done without spending a dime with all the talented and connected people we have playing the game. It's just finding the time to do it all that's the pain.

Yep, time and volunteers! That's what organizations like ours are all about.

Robb Graves said:

I've said it before, and will again, the only reason some of our chapters aren't a heck of a lot bigger is that we generally fail at getting the word out about how much fun we're having. :D

Indeed, links from links pages are the least desirable links you can get (just about). So when whoever takes this job goes to find links they want to make sure the link to this site does not come from a links page. Instead it should come from a content page. And we'll obviously do better if we off a similar quality link in return.

How can we offer quality links in return? Set up a blog. Link to it from every page on this site and then some. Call it friends of Alliance larp or whatever. Tell webmasters that you will blog about their site in return for a link of similar quality to alliancelarp.com - similar quality meaning that the link should be in content and that there should only be a few outgoing links on the page that has our link.

This, of course, is far more work than a typical link exchange. No one ever said getting to the top of Google was easy and I promise you that plain old reciprocal links will do very little to get us there.

Morganne said:
....Links tend to lose their power/appeal when there are tons and tons of them on your website....

A few months (maybe a year now.. sheesh) ago I heard rumors of a National PR committee being started for stuff like this...
guess that never happened?

Yeah I was contacted about that, volunteered for that, and then never heard about it again. Maybe we need a volunteer to organize it?
Quinn said:
A few months (maybe a year now.. sheesh) ago I heard rumors of a National PR committee being started for stuff like this...

James Trotta said:
Yeah I was contacted about that, volunteered for that, and then never heard about it again. Maybe we need a volunteer to organize it?
Quinn said:

Basically, yes, we need more than just people willing to help; we need someone willing to take charge.

I'd be interested in learning more about what exactly was to happen. I am not even sure how the alliance hierarchy works. I know Renee is the chair... but does that make the owners the board? would the marketing committee submit plans to her/them/someone for approval? would the committee have any budget or just what was volunteered and collected by the committee?

Robb Graves said:
I'd be interested in learning more about what exactly was to happen. I am not even sure how the alliance hierarchy works. I know Renee is the chair... but does that make the owners the board? would the marketing committee submit plans to her/them/someone for approval? would the committee have any budget or just what was volunteered and collected by the committee?

Renee is GM and she can set up committees. The owners can overrule decisions made. Budget would have to be whatever we can get owners to donate for publicity.

The thought above about creating a blog isnt necissarily a bad idea... Wordpress blog specifically are know to increase traffic quite extensively due to their high SEO content generation . Granted this is only usefull if someone is maintaining the blog and writing fresh and GOOD articles.. It would also benifit curious people who do not desire to sign up for the forum to make comments and ask questions...

Be warned though blogs are notorious for picking up spam and spiders so who ever maintains it will have to be thorough at checking comments and post for hidden links and other such undesirable things.

As for checking the site for broken links Xenu is a fabulous program that does just tha.. you just give it a URL and click okay and it will spider the entire site for broken links. I am running one against alliancelarp.com right now... however because of the forum there are literally thousands upon thousands of internal links so it will be pretty murky to look through all the results. At a quick glance most of the site looks good so far.. i do see one or two broken links here and there though.

if u are interested in the program here is a link to where it can be d/led
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/xenulink.html

The blog would be for link building so we wouldn't necessarily care if it got tons of traffic. Comments should be turned off. Wordpress would be fine although the past few months I've been fairly annoyed at the number of updates since I have over 20 Wordpress blogs myself. Movable Type is another good option but if something goes wrong it's harder to find programmers used to working with it.

The easiest way to go might be to use Typepad or the Wordpress equivalent. Otherwise Mike V. should get a domain (or set up a subdomain at this URL), get a blog installed (if we have cpanel it should be automatic), install a skin or have one designed, get things configured, and that's it.

This is all premature - first we need someone to step up and become the reciprocal linker. Then I'll be happy to work with that person to get them started in the right direction.

Jevedor said:
The thought above about creating a blog isnt necissarily a bad idea... Wordpress blog specifically are know to increase traffic quite extensively due to their high SEO content generation . Granted this is only usefull if someone is maintaining the blog and writing fresh and GOOD articles.. It would also benifit curious people who do not desire to sign up for the forum to make comments and ask questions...

Be warned though blogs are notorious for picking up spam and spiders so who ever maintains it will have to be thorough at checking comments and post for hidden links and other such undesirable things.

Back