Love Potion #9

I'm looking to play late next year (damn me for being born into a country without Alliance) & i was looking at the alchemy items in your newest rulebook (thank you amazon.com) & i spotted Love Potion #9. As a fan of "roleplaying objects" like that, i was wondering how may of you have come under the effects of love potion #9 & how did you roleplay it out? Alternatively, have you ever used it on another player & how did that work out in-game? I would be interested in an little anecdotes you may have, as i am contemplating playing an alchemist & that would be on my list of things i would want, if only for potential humour value (i was thinking trickster dryad alchemist).

-M

Hello - before Mike says it - you could always start a chapter in your country. :)

Now to answer your question - I was under the effect of one once before. However, I didn't become a love pup that I had seen so many others become. I simply did whatever she asked, stayed near her at all times but didn't proclaim my undying love for her.

Hello - before Mike says it - you could always start a chapter in your country.

Yeah, its not really an option at the moment. People here are too lazy to contribute to start with & i'm stuck working every weekend (no rest for the wicked i suppose). Thats why i'm looking to do some travel in the USA for a month or two. Stop in at a chapter or two of Alliance, maybe hit a comic convention or a gaming convention. Then head for the great white north for a week or two.

But back on topic, when you where under the Love Potion, you just became compliant and did what you were asked. What was the cirumstance in which you got dosed with the offending alchemical complex? Was it part of an ongoing plot or was it just for giggles?

-M

I have seen it done for both...hahas and for plot...it can be fun, depending on how those effected role play it out...you can be the love stuck puppy...the valiant hero...the over protective old sibling...

I don't have the book here with me right now, but doesn't it say something to the effect that you should roleplay it appropriately based on your character concept? Some people seem to think it's a "lust" potion (it is NOT). Your character might be shy and embarrassed whenever your love is around, or might write bad poetry or send flowers or do a number of things that your character would logically do if he or she were actually in love. (At the very least you would do everything you could to protect your love and make sure no harm comes to him or her, in my opinion). But it should never make you act out of character.

One of my favorite stories involves the time a vampire came in and threw an arcane Love effect on Baroness Glenduria in our game and then was frustrated when it seemed to have no effect on her. For the next month, the Baroness kept sending flowers to one of her court members who was there too, along with invitations to come visit her at her estate for a nice weekend with "just us girls." That was exactly how the Baroness would do it, and it made perfect sense for the character.

Thanks for the roleplaying input guys. I prefer anecdotes from people who have seen it happen or had it happen to them rather then straight up rules , if only because one is living information while the other is just data. If anyone else has had it happen to them i would be interested in how you rolepayed it out & what the circumstances were.

I get that its not a lust potion, which would have been easy to roleplay. A love potion would be a lot more subtle to start with. The vampire story made me chuckle, if only because i love to see a great plan back fire. Its these almost random chaotic happenstance that makes a good system into a great game.

-M

I played a villainess that had multiple love 9 effects a day, and I played it like it was the adoration due to me. I was a Lady and I only used my Love 9s on nobles, because they could get me what I wanted. To them, I was coy, shy, softspoken, and very very proper. To the girl I ended up fighting to my death, I was none of those things :)

It was a gaze attack, I've never seen it go out as something alchemical. If it goes out as something steal-able, plot can lose control of it... and that's a bad thing if it's something vital to a plotline.

I saw an entire team of males get love 9ed to the one girl in their group, and each guy reacted differently. One person was OOG uncomfortable with it, so he was told to play the effect like wanting to be her best friend. They brought her meals, protected her, and I think one might have offered to kill anyone she wanted, lol; all of those things fit the characters the guys were playing.

markusdark said:
Just a quick Q, if someone has an item that can bestow a Love 9, is the incant "Activate Love 9"?

Probably, but as far as I know you can't make an "activate love 9" based on the standard ritual rules. So if such a thing existed it would be LCO and the incant would be determined by the plot/rules of the chapter that put it out.

I could just imagine the anarchy if someone dosed everybodies food with it at dinner :lol: . Now that would be roleplaying like you had never seen it before. Thanks to Laguna Hallik for pointing me towards the newletters, i hadn't considered that. Thank you to everyone else who shared there experiences, its been very helpful.

-M

It's ideas like that that make me ignore the odd looks that my foxkin gets for going over his food with scenting. Good roleplay, and safety precaution!

For the record: I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of Love #9. It can create some tremendously uncomfortable OOG situations. Plus, it's a Greater Command effect, so unless you've got dodges or cloak greaters, there's not a whole lot you can do to stop yourself from getting in a roleplay situation you may not be comfortable with.

I've been fortunate in that everyone I've been Love 9'd to or vice versa have been people I am comfortable to roleplay or interact with like that; however, I've heard (and seen) some horror stories that make me cringe when love #9 is not used with discretion of the players involved.

I can think of roleplaying reasons to use it (no lethal answer to potential PVP) & i can think of comedy reasons to use it (mainly because its so darn funny), but now you mention it i could just see how badly someone who is manipulative could use this to his own benefit (manipulating IG relationship you can't have OOG). Hadn't thought of that. Still Love #9 is comedy gold, for a trickster who want to watch the ensuing chaos. Oh well.

Just remember kids: Discretion is the better part of Valor.

-M

Keep in mind that there are abilities that can re-direct such effects back to their originator.
Also keep in mind that some characters (in fact, some entire PC races) consider Love, Love 9 and many other Commands/Greater Commands to be more offensive then Death and/or Necromancy. It's all fine and good if your character is a trickster and has a sense of humor, but remember to maintain that sense of humor out-of-game if using one of these effects gets your character killed a few times.

If i were to play a trickster i would have to work on the principle that "turn about is fair play"

-M

remember also that there are many people Ig that will make you "disappear" should you use this on someone they care about.

lol Although bringing back a little bit of pvp (not in too bad a way) might not be a bad thing for the game. In general I have noticed we play a mostly pve game, which can be hard on monster camp.

pvp? pve? Is this some of that MMO lingo? God I'm getting old.

Dreamingfurther said:
lol Although bringing back a little bit of pvp (not in too bad a way) might not be a bad thing for the game. In general I have noticed we play a mostly pve game, which can be hard on monster camp.

At the same time, look around at the playerbase. Do you really want to encourage the high-level folks with truckloads of shiny bits to make a habit of playerkilling? Because nothing that a low to mid level player can do, short of sheer luck or physically beating the player is going to stop them from flattening the town.

Back