Magic Item Poll

What kind of Magic Item system would you prefer?

• Total Ritual Cap

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Ritual Cap not including Extenders

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Limit on Number of Items

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • No Restriction

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters
obcidian_bandit said:
Other: Must have the skill to use the item it duplicates (including High Magic). Potentially, with a cap at like 5 "exception" rituals, which would be where things that aren't build duplicating would live.
Huh.

So, how would you treat non-build duplicating rituals? Such as:

Earth/Chaos/Elemental Aura
Arcane Armor
Protection Aura
Regeneration
Spirit Recall
Cloak
Bane
Ritual of Woe
Endure Elements
Audible Projection
Or any others that don't duplicate skills?

I'd be ok with whatever but I'd love for each chapter to be able to retain the right to set their numbers as they see fit.

Wanna run a high magic game and your players like it that way? set the limit high if you want the reverse make it like 5 MIs and 20 rituals or whatever so long as the chapters retain their ability to make their game unique within the given frame of the game.

Paul

Technically, earth/chaos aura, cloak, bane and AA are all replicable with build, it's just build in formal to use as high magic points. (AA sort of, celestial armor only goes up to 15 points). It's why many rits aren't spellcraft-able any more.

Since for some reason I cannot submit a vote on polls in these forums I would vote:

Cap number of items
* 5 items max (including Spirit, including Body)
* 10 ritual max per item

Exception for rituals inherently stationary (Warder Glyphs, Circles of Power, etc.).

by obcidian_bandit » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Other: Must have the skill to use the item it duplicates (including High Magic). Potentially, with a cap at like 5 "exception" rituals, which would be where things that aren't build duplicating would live

My vote is some version of this. Still "Be ALl You Can't Be", just spend build for it.

I really don't care (and kind of like) when Mr. Mc Magerson has the MOST spells that I see being cast. And Captain Fightman is the parry-in-est person in the fight. And if the high level play is fluid class into a templar/scout then so be it.

Any rit system that lets me devalue other people is a flawed one, IMO. Look at the term "pocket healer."

Letting rit items only be used by people with a requisite skill would be -awesome.- Can't have a DA/MS/RR without Profs/Backstabs. Can't use Exp Enchant without spell slots. Can't use Dodge without Dodge. Sure, you'd have players who want to be ultra-self-reliant, but I always thought that Alliance was best played as a team game anyways, where everyone gets a chance to shine.

Yeah.... I'm a fan of the "Must have the skill/spell" to have the item with a small number of ritual "exceptions". It lends itself towards greater team-play or having to spend more actual build to be able to be the jack-of-all-trades. Right now, if you were insane enough to spend the gobbies/cast the rituals, you could be a fighter with a huge number of 3/day spell items and essentially be the tank and the controller. It's something that would be truly nice, and would increase the individual flavor of our characters.

This is probably off topic,

Have we ever explored limiting the number of magic items a player can enter the game with or use during a logistics period? Like for example John the uber fighter has four rings on his person all with activates. John now has 8 life spells and x amount of other things. Could we say they can only "bond" with maybe 3 wearable and two weapon items per logistics period? It would allow for gaining cool items but you would Taylor your load our each logistics?

Just an idea. It would be awesome in places where teams come in with 40 items they never use for two players and occupy a ton of logistics time.

Kyle

phedre said:
Technically, earth/chaos aura, cloak, bane and AA are all replicable with build, it's just build in formal to use as high magic points. (AA sort of, celestial armor only goes up to 15 points). It's why many rits aren't spellcraft-able any more.

Technically these rits came out before the HM "skills".

Aggravain said:
This is probably off topic,

Have we ever explored limiting the number of magic items a player can enter the game with
Kyle

Back when CT was MA they had a limit on the amount of items you can come into game with (I think it was 5 at some point). Not that big of an issue if you have a good amount of team members. But none the less they did limit people at one time.

Avaran said:
I think if there is to be a cap, it needs to differ based on class.

I think putting a limit on MI's hurts caster-types and their potential longevity more than it does martial-based classes, and Earth Scholars most of all (imho). Therefore, I think Scholars should have a higher limit than Fighters, Scouts, and Rogues, with Adepts/Templars/Artisans having a limit somewhere in between.

Why do you feel this way? Please explain. If there is a limit there is a limit. To me that's fair for every one no matter the class. Caster-types have HM (which I feel in it self is very OP) and when they use the item they can just say "activate".

Gilwing said:
Avaran said:
I think if there is to be a cap, it needs to differ based on class.

I think putting a limit on MI's hurts caster-types and their potential longevity more than it does martial-based classes, and Earth Scholars most of all (imho). Therefore, I think Scholars should have a higher limit than Fighters, Scouts, and Rogues, with Adepts/Templars/Artisans having a limit somewhere in between.

Why do you feel this way? Please explain. If there is a limit there is a limit. To me that's fair for every one no matter the class. Caster-types have HM (which I feel in it self is very OP) and when they use the item they can just say "activate".

He's probably referring to a concept that casters need more rits in the form of exp enchantment to balance with individual fighter rits, like DA.

Eh. I don't really think limiting the amount of items is an effective way to do it. Not while there's a 20 cap, anyways.

Personally of the above options I woud say limit the number of items. Yes you end up with striations and flows of more advanced and full items but I am okay with that. However I also like this game for what it is.

To be frank, I have played in systems with limits on number of items where the number of effects on any item was limited to 5. That is a drastic drastic change to what this game is. I also play in a game where nothing is tagged...ever. Never mind no magic items, you get no item tags for weapons or armor. T

They both work, and they are not this game. I come here to play this one. That said I do encourage lower level players to get comfortable with their build skills before thinking they need magic items. Otherwise you end up playing your item set, not your character.

Joe Siegel

How is limiting "items" fair? You simply encourage mass rit concentration into a single object, increasing the likelihood that such object will become Permancied, and regularly fed RDM to keep it alive.

If items had a cap of 5 rits, that might be more reasonable, but 20? No.

I played an International chapter with a 5 item limit and it really played into the hands of the "haves", a club of which I was not a member at the time. My five items totaled about 15 rituals whereas others had 5 items that totalled 100 rituals. So I think that # of rituals is better than # of items if you want to limit things.
However, I feel that it is the Goblin and Dragon Stamped MIs that are the reason why the topic of "Magic Item Bloat" and limiting the # of items/rituals keeps coming up. So while I guess this would count as "other" in the above poll, I think there should be an option for "Limit the # of GS/DS items/rituals".

I think a final option should be "MIs only from Treasure Policy." That way you can use time/evers and when people have magic items, they have story and glory instead of this constant drag of I HAVE MAGIC SOWRD HURR

I know that's a bit of a divergence, but I also chose "Total number of rituals" (without extenders). Limiting the number of items is meaningless if you can have unlimited numbers of rits on those 5 items. If you're looking to decrease the amount of power players have, limiting the number of items doesn't put a cap on their power, just on the number of items they have to carry around to use those powers. It's really just making their treasury lighter to limit the number of items.

/noobpinion

The cap on number of items is taking into account the current limit of 20 Rituals on any given item. The thought behind it is that the vast majority of items, whether out of policy or DS, are between 2 and 6 rituals.

Agnar said:
I played an International chapter with a 5 item limit and it really played into the hands of the "haves", a club of which I was not a member at the time. My five items totaled about 15 rituals whereas others had 5 items that totalled 100 rituals. So I think that # of rituals is better than # of items if you want to limit things.
However, I feel that it is the Goblin and Dragon Stamped MIs that are the reason why the topic of "Magic Item Bloat" and limiting the # of items/rituals keeps coming up. So while I guess this would count as "other" in the above poll, I think there should be an option for "Limit the # of GS/DS items/rituals".
How long ago was that? NERO International magic items are limited to five effects and never last more than two years. Most NERO chapters I played at limited people to holding five MIs at one time (you could cabin-swap, so it wasn't the most effective policy) and I never really saw it play into groups of haves and have-nots. MI bloat is far more an issue in Alliance than in NERO from what I've seen, on account of the 5-year and permanent 20 effect items.

KyleSchmelz said:
Agnar said:
How long ago was that? NERO International magic items are limited to five effects and never last more than two years. Most NERO chapters I played at limited people to holding five MIs at one time (you could cabin-swap, so it wasn't the most effective policy) and I never really saw it play into groups of haves and have-nots. MI bloat is far more an issue in Alliance than in NERO from what I've seen, on account of the 5-year and permanent 20 effect items.

Just curious... how many permanent 20 ritual items do you guys have? Are there a lot? I'm not trying to be snarky. I am just amazed (and maybe a teensy bit jealous).

Maybe there is this hidden stockpile that I dont know about, but I have only HELD 2. I have heard rumor of a handful more. I wouldn't even get into double digits when I include all of the ones I SUSPECT to be near 20.

I was under a similar impression that item bloat is based on items generated outside fo policy as opposed to pc created items.

Back