Magic Item Poll

What kind of Magic Item system would you prefer?

• Total Ritual Cap

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Ritual Cap not including Extenders

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Limit on Number of Items

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • No Restriction

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters
Admittedly I don't have one and I'm pretty sure SoMN doesn't have one yet, but I could be wrong about that. I stated that badly - I meant that as the upper level, not that there are a ton of those floating around. Then again, my group's 8 effect 5 year mace is far nicer than any item I ever had in NERO.

Being able to buy MIs with goblins probably is a much bigger contributer, but the fact that items can and often do last a lot longer means there's less cycling through of items. I'm not saying this as a criticism of Alliance, by the way - I have a better time at Alliance than I did playing NERO. It's just way easier to get MIs and the MIs you can get are way nicer.

KyleSchmelz said:
Agnar said:
I played an International chapter with a 5 item limit and it really played into the hands of the "haves", a club of which I was not a member at the time. My five items totaled about 15 rituals whereas others had 5 items that totalled 100 rituals. So I think that # of rituals is better than # of items if you want to limit things.
However, I feel that it is the Goblin and Dragon Stamped MIs that are the reason why the topic of "Magic Item Bloat" and limiting the # of items/rituals keeps coming up. So while I guess this would count as "other" in the above poll, I think there should be an option for "Limit the # of GS/DS items/rituals".
How long ago was that? NERO International magic items are limited to five effects and never last more than two years. Most NERO chapters I played at limited people to holding five MIs at one time (you could cabin-swap, so it wasn't the most effective policy) and I never really saw it play into groups of haves and have-nots. MI bloat is far more an issue in Alliance than in NERO from what I've seen, on account of the 5-year and permanent 20 effect items.

It was many years ago, but I don't think the current NERO rules invalidate the point. I was stating what the rules were when I played and there were 20 rit perm items in the NERO system as there are currently in the Alliance system.

RiddickDale said:
Just curious... how many permanent 20 ritual items do you guys have? Are there a lot? I'm not trying to be snarky. I am just amazed (and maybe a teensy bit jealous).

Maybe there is this hidden stockpile that I dont know about
I have one, and at the time I made it (about 7 years ago) it was one of the two on the entire WC. Now I know about 4 out here, but I'm not especially up-to-date on what is rolling around in SF (it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't 1-2 down there). So I call "5-ish" between 3 chapters, so I bet we'd get over a dozen between all of the chapters pretty easily. (You can't extrapolate to "5-ish per 3 chapters" from there, though; since we're mostly older (>15 years) chapters out here we've had plenty of time to build up that loot base that some of the newer chapters (<5 years) just wouldn't have yet. I bet the actual ratio is significantly lower than that.)

Even if we were to assume 25 in the entire Alliance (just to be generous) and compare that the the number of players it is clearly not the single UBER items so much as the proliferation of smaller items stacked on people.

This leads me to be more concerned with the number of rituals a person posseses. If they want to stack it on one 20 rit tag so they only have to link one big thing... who cares? 20 rituals on 1 item is the same amount of power as 20 rituals spread across 6 items.

RiddickDale said:
Even if we were to assume 25 in the entire Alliance (just to be generous) and compare that the the number of players it is clearly not the single UBER items so much as the proliferation of smaller items stacked on people.

This leads me to be more concerned with the number of rituals a person posseses. If they want to stack it on one 20 rit tag so they only have to link one big thing... who cares? 20 rituals on 1 item is the same amount of power as 20 rituals spread across 6 items.

I'd guess 20ish across the Alliance, personally. If you include 20-rit 5 year items and/or LCO items, though, the number will rise dramatically (we're probably getting close to 75-100, would be my guess).

The real allure of max rits on one item is entirely due to the way duration is done as opposed to the linking, is my guess.

-Bryan

The only one I've seen in SoMN dropped as loot from the big bad at the season finale (part 1) two years ago, the Cord of the Forsaken. I believe it still holds the record for the most expensive item ever sold at town auction, mostly due to the 20 point Arcane Armor that is Permanent, in addition to high level per day healing effects (Cure Morts) and several other qualities I'd rather not publicly post for in-game reasons.

Back