Magic Missile

Dr_Chill

Fighter
Why don't we have a celestial spell called "Magic Missile"? Has anyone ever thought of renaming Stone Bolt to Magic Missile?

"I cast Magic Missile...
At what?
...at the darkness!"

Stone Bolt used to be called magic missile. It was changed over to keep it inline with the other (Bolt) spells. Celestial evocation is based around the 4 elements (Stone, Lightning, fire, Ice). The only spell that wasn't changed was Dragons Breath. People just liked that name too much to give it up!

Justin H-

I have always though dragons breath should be an area effect. throw five packets at once or something... that would be fun!

Isn't there some copyright issue with WotC for using Magic Missle?

Ezri said:
Isn't there some copyright issue with WotC for using Magic Missle?

I'm sure there might be and that would be another reason why it would have been changed eventually.

doverman said:
I have always though dragons breath should be an area effect. throw five packets at once or something... that would be fun!

This brings up a good point. Are there any AoE spells/effects in the game? Have there been any thoughts towards allowing casters to do this?

AoE are VERY difficult to use in a LARP, as they pretty much require holds. We try to keep those to a minimum. There are none in our game outside of traps (which are usually only used in modules for this reason) but I don't know if there are any other games that use them with any sort of regularity.

How do you do an area of effect? 20 foot across packet?

While the idea of throwing a bean bag at someone is amusing (I'm picturing some of the smaller players being squashed underneath), the closest other spell to AoE would be Magic Storm. In many ways, that does encompass any area, as you can chuck your packets (still one at a time) in a spread pattern.

D

¿wasn't Dragon's Breath originally AE, but they changed it on account of the logistical nightmare involved?

in other thoughts, i think it would be cool if the rest of the "Storm" spells were changed like "Dragon's Breath". "I call forth an Avalanche!" "I call forth a Tornado!" that'd be swank

Ezri said:
AoE are VERY difficult to use in a LARP, as they pretty much require holds. We try to keep those to a minimum. There are none in our game outside of traps (which are usually only used in modules for this reason) but I don't know if there are any other games that use them with any sort of regularity.

We use voice effects. Voice dragons breath (or other effect thingy). Everyone who can clearly hear it takes it, and no, covering your ears doesn't help you. You can vary the area based on volume of your voice. We use it rarely because of unintended circumstances... if a mod is taking place in a specially designated mod area and someone wanders by that area who is "not there" for purposes of where the rest of the PC's on the mod are... do they take it because they heard it?

Yes, it can cause holds - it hasn't so much in our experience, but it can.

There are other larps that use a "shotgun-packet" mechanic, in which multiple packets are thrown at once, and being hit by any of them (whether one or five) causes the victim to take the effect once.

There are also larps that use "packet-chains", in which a sequence of packets are thrown for a single incant, each packet of which is a separate instance of the spell or effect. Some even use packet-chains that have different effects or differing strengths for each packet.

Another AoE variant is "everything in room". Some larps use this for traps and the like.

Ezri said:

There's the aforementioned "voice effect" thing, in some LARPs I've played (mostly the nInteraction/Accelerant system games in New England)...most often it's used to handle bard/"spellsinging" stuff there, a character will sing a song or whatever, and then go "<effect> By Voice!". Usually it's healing or something...usually. :)

There's one other LARP with ocasional AoE stuff I know of, in NJ actually, called "Nocturne", they sometimes have "demonic" monsters toss a bunch of spell packets out when they die, each one doing a given amount of damage. This was several years ago though and the one time I tried it (as an NPC)...having to do this every time I got taken down was incredibly awkward though, oftentimes I jut wouldn't bother with it at all.

Trent

I would like cele's to get magic missle and Earth magic get Stone bolt
that way earth Magic workers get at least one spell they can defend themselves with

Earth casters have binding and curses to defend themselves with. And disarms, shatters, destroys...

There needs to be a division between the classes. Damage is the realm of the celestial caster, while healing is that of the earth caster, and a few utility spells that overlap. Plus, if you're not a law abiding earth caster, you have necromancy (just don't get caught).

Earth casters really don't need any damage spells.

The Earth tree has all sorts of things to defend ones' self with.

Some are more obvious than others.

The less obvious require subtlety in their usage.

Frank Wiccan said:
I would like cele's to get magic missle and Earth magic get Stone bolt
that way earth Magic workers get at least one spell they can defend themselves with

All but one of the "instant takeout" spells are both Earth and Celestial. Earth mages are almost as effective as Celestial casters against the living, and somewhat more effective than Celestial casters against Undead.

-Bryan

A starting earth mages got nada
unless we start casting cause wounds and find ourselves on the short end of a less then long rope
I haev little way of dealing any damage

but I can understand the need for diffrent classes and areas of experteese

Im happy with my healing but would be nice for some kind of ranged damage :D

Frank Wiccan said:
A starting earth mages got nada
unless we start casting cause wounds and find ourselves on the short end of a less then long rope
I haev little way of dealing any damage

but I can understand the need for diffrent classes and areas of experteese

Im happy with my healing but would be nice for some kind of ranged damage :D

Then consider spending the 4 build on read magic (assuming you are a scholar, templar, or adept who doesn't pay double for it). Then you can have a few handy flame bolt scrolls in your pocket for emergency's.

Or you know. make friends with a fighter.

Earth casters have plenty to defend themselves with.

Honestly, giving anyone stone bolt as a 'break in case of emergency' spell is just a cruel joke.

Because you know, 2-3 stone bolts later, and that creature is probably still killing you.

Back