Magic Missile

Noone mentioned the obvious solution...

Death it.

But seriously... disarm/shatter/pin are all death spells if used right.

RiddickDale said:
Noone mentioned the obvious solution...

Death it.

But seriously... disarm/shatter/pin are all death spells if used right.

Yep! Teamwork is what the game is meant to support. Earth casters are meant to be healers and binder/cursers, and have the option of going damage machine if they want to (though not a real option if you want to keep playing the character, though I played a known Necro-friendly for 3 years and always got a life spell). If you want to have an offensive option I would recommend the Adept, Templar or Cel Scholar option. Healers are squishy and get no respect unless you need them to make you a godlike magic sword, THEN the gold shows up somehow. Odd. :mrgreen:
-toddo

yes, yes...back in the day...Dragon's Breath was an AoE...but then again that was when we used Baby Powder and tissue paper for packets....oh...wait...so was Sleep... :lol: was all good till ya gotta an eye full of Baby Powder..... :cry:

~Matt K.

I have to say that it bugs me that Stone Bolt was changed from magic missile and Dragon's Breath wasn't changed to Flame Storm. Although I know it sounds really sweet it is kind of adds a little bit of confusion for newer players and really breaks the pattern... =\ And I'm saying this feeling just as sweet and cool as the next Joe casting a Dragon's Breath. =P

Yea Earth casters have plenty of things to be offensive with... On another note I think it might be kind of cool to consider making an Identify spell for like level 1, or level 3 Celestial. It would be "With Eldritch force I Identify _____" and would allow for field identification of cool stuff. =D

AoE are VERY difficult to use in a LARP, as they pretty much require holds. We try to keep those to a minimum. There are none in our game outside of traps (which are usually only used in modules for this reason) but I don't know if there are any other games that use them with any sort of regularity.

here's a few examples...

=============================================

Fork Magic
Khale’s Magical Spell Splitter
Cantrip Celestial 1 Day
Requires 1 Components
This Cantrip allows the user to fully incant one spell from memory, and then immediately (within 2 seconds) cast that spell again by announcing Magic <Spell>, this second spell does not come from memory. The spell has to be the same and cannot change. When this spell is used in conjunction with Disarm or Enflame and similar effects a new target must be announced. This Cantrip has a duration of lasting from 1 Logistics period to the next

OOG Note: Fork does not stack with Magic Deliverance.
OOG Note: When used the caster must state Magic <spell name> <option for that spell>
Example 1: "I call forth a Dragon's breath 40, Magic Dragon's Breath 40"
Example 2: "With mystic force I disarm your Shield, Magic Disarm Long sword"
Example 3: "With Mystic force I enflame your long sword, Magic Enflame shield"
“I Grant myself the Ability to Fork Magic””

==============================================
Gaze – These attacks are delivered after the gaze of the target has been met for a specified by the attack. After the gaze has been met for the proper amount of time the attack verbal is By Gaze <Damage if applicable>
<Delivery Method> <Effect> <Specification>.

Directed Effects and Area Effects – These delivery methods are very powerful as they do not require either a weapon blow or a packet attack to deliver the effect. Many of these are extremely rare attack forms. The Magic System does have several spells which use various area attacks or directed attacks.
A directed attack takes the form of To <Target> Within
<Area>.

A Directed Effect is one which targets either a specific person or a specific group. Any who hear the verbal or the voice delivering the verbal and fits into the category
stated takes the attack, appropriate defenses apply.
This attack is not vocal in nature and the need to hear it is an out-of-game stipulation not an in-game one as it is with Voice Attacks. The group defined by a directed attack has few limitations, some examples of possible groups are:

To Name – This is delivered by the name the attacker knows, even if that given name is false.
To Race or Gender –This will affect all targets that hear the verbal and are members of the stated race. This can apply to in game and approved PC races, NPC races, and monster types and genders.
To Class –This will affect all targets able to hear the verbal and are members of the stated class.
To State –This will affect all targets that can hear the verbal and have the proper state.
To Level – You may direct an attack by level either by exact match, above a given level or below a given level
To All - This attack form meets the same requirements as a By Voice attack but is not based on Voice so it could possibly be used by a silenced player and would not be stopped by an effect which stops voice attacks.

An Area Effect is one which affects all players within a specific area. Anyone who hears the verbal (and no attempt may be made to prevent hearing the verbal) and is within the area stated takes the attack, appropriate defenses apply. This is not a Voice attack despite the fact that you must hear the verbal. This attack is not vocal in nature and the need to hear it is an out-of-game stipulation not an in-game one as it is with Voice Attacks. This area can never be defined in a manner which requires a hold, such as “Within 20 feet”. The only specified forms of area attacks are acceptable.
Within <Stated Boundary> – Anyone standing within the indicated boundary takes the effect, appropriate defenses apply. The boundaries must be clearly defined such as Within the Circle of Power, or Within the Pavilion. If a plank over a pit is represented by a 4” plank on a black tarp a player whose foot touches the tarp may be subject to “Within the pit, within the town, within the tavern”. The stated boundary is defined by the skill, power, or ability being used.
==============================================================

*This is "Point and Click" Magic... its all done by ranges.. and this game has been around longer then Alliance / NERO and still uses this magic type.

The Rules Of Magic:
1 Magic must be said loudly and clearly enough to be heard within 50 feet or by the recipient, whichever is closer.
2 When casting verbal magic with a single target, the caster must announce the targets name immediately before the incantation
(class and a unique descriptor will suffice if name is unknown).

Call Lightning (S, Flame)
Druid 4
Raise empty hands above head and repeat x3 “I call lightning to strike thee.”
Range: 20 ft.
Target is dead.

Wounding (S, Death)
Healer 3, Wizard 2
Repeat x2 “From my heart I strike off your (right or left/arm or leg).”
Range: 20 ft.
Victim’s limb is wounded.
The victim must be unwounded prior to spell casting.
May be cast while moving. Wizards do not require a spell book or scroll to cast. Has no effect on an injured player. Will
outright kill monsters that die on wounds.

Extension (N, Neutral)

Bard 3, Druid 3, Healer 5, Wizard 3
State “Extension” loudly before a spell.
Doubles range of the spell for one use. If the spell has a range of ‘Touch’, grants range of 20 ft and the caster must point at
the target in lieu of touching.
May not be used more than once on the same casting (e.g., no doubling range twice).
The Extension is expended when “Extension” is stated, even if the accompanying spell is not completed.

==================================================================

Voice Radius Effects
Voice Radius effects manifest in the following types of effects: normal, magic, elemental,
poison, physical and arcane. When a creature or marshal uses a voice radius effect they
will state "Voice radius <type><effect>". An example would be "Voice radius magic
death". When spoken, anyone within the sound of the voice will take the effect as if they
had been hit with a spell packet. Defenses that normally protect from the type and effect
generated will apply except for Dodge and Displacement. The caster of the voice radius
is also affected by the voice radius, but since they are the caster, they may refuse the
casting as if it were a touch cast. Reflects, Banes, Ricochets, and similar effect returning
defenses will return the effect back to the caster of the Voice Radius on an individual
basis. That is, if one "Voice Radius magic Flame Bolt 20" is cast, and 3 people have
Reflect Magic up, the caster of the Voice Radius will have to deal with 3 separate Magic
Flame Bolt 20 effects being reflected back. Rupturing eardrums, sticking fingers in the
ears, and other methods of blocking out sound are not effective ways of defending against
Voice Radius effects. The general rule of thumb is that if anyone within 10 feet of you
heard the call, then you are also within the area of effect.

========================

Dragon's Breath was always single packet... but it was

I call forth THE Dragon's breath.

here's a few of the older spells....for us old timers.

============

Magic Missile
Level 1 C
Verbal: “I smite you with a magic missile.”

Age Limb
Level 7 -Celestial
Verbal: “I call upon time to age your <limb>”

Circle of Power
Level 9
Verbal: “I cast a circle of power about me, let none enter here.”

Destroy Mind
Level 7 Celestial
Verbal: “With mental might I destroy your mind.”

Disjunction
Level 8 Celestial
Verbal: “I disjunct all magics with the power of entropy.”

Drain Life
Level 7 Celestial
Verbal: “With vampyric power, I drain your Life.”

+++ Earth +++

Control Undead
Level 4
Verbal: “By Death’s dark mantle and the powers of Chaos, I control undead to do as I bid.”

Create Undead
Level 7
Verbal: “By the power of Chaos, I call you forth and create undead to walk the Earth.”

Curse
Level 8 E
Verbal: “I curse you to die a painful death.”

Heal Mortal Wounds
Level 8 H
Verbal: “With the essence of Life I heal your mortal wounds.”

========

Been a while.. I think I got most of those incants right.. I think healing might be off...
I thought Silence was "I bind your throat with a cord of mystical silence" or something similar.

For some reason I remember Circle of Power and Circle of Protection being 2 different spells.. one earth the other celestial..

Jorundr said:
AoE are VERY difficult to use in a LARP, as they pretty much require holds. We try to keep those to a minimum. There are none in our game outside of traps (which are usually only used in modules for this reason) but I don't know if there are any other games that use them with any sort of regularity.

here's a few examples...

============================================

Examples removed as they pertain to another game.

Yes, AOE spells exist in other games, and having been a LARP system whore for the past decade I have seen a lot of attempts to do it. None have done it well. I'm a LARP-whore. I play 3-4 different rule-sets per year and I've never seen an AOE effect that didn't cause arguments every time it was cast. I like Alliance's lack of them except when a Marshal is present, but I do wish we wouldn't need said Marshal.
-toddo

Toddo said:
Yes, AOE spells exist in other games, and having been a LARP system whore for the past decade I have seen a lot of attempts to do it. None have done it well. I'm a LARP-whore. I play 3-4 different rule-sets per year and I've never seen an AOE effect that didn't cause arguments every time it was cast. I like Alliance's lack of them except when a Marshal is present, but I do wish we wouldn't need said Marshal.
-toddo

That's odd, I've played with a great deal of 'Voice Radius <effect>' in NPCs, and never had any more holds called with it than with any other effect, and a great deal less than traps or safety holds. I guess the truth of 'Your Mileage May Vary' is indeed universal.

Jorundr said:
um.. yeah.. ok guy.. removed.. K..

I think your completely off your rocker and wrong.. but apparently censorship is cool here..
gotcha.

Whoa, not censoring anything! I didn't want to have a 10 paragraph quote before adding to the discussion. That was phrased badly.

Jorundr said:
Dragon's Breath was always single packet... but it was

I call forth THE Dragon's breath.

here's a few of the older spells....for us old timers.

============

Magic Missile
Level 1 C
Verbal: “I smite you with a magic missile.”

Age Limb
Level 7 -Celestial
Verbal: “I call upon time to age your <limb>”

Circle of Power
Level 9
Verbal: “I cast a circle of power about me, let none enter here.”

Destroy Mind
Level 7 Celestial
Verbal: “With mental might I destroy your mind.”

Disjunction
Level 8 Celestial
Verbal: “I disjunct all magics with the power of entropy.”

Drain Life
Level 7 Celestial
Verbal: “With vampyric power, I drain your Life.”

+++ Earth +++

Control Undead
Level 4
Verbal: “By Death’s dark mantle and the powers of Chaos, I control undead to do as I bid.”

Create Undead
Level 7
Verbal: “By the power of Chaos, I call you forth and create undead to walk the Earth.”

Curse
Level 8 E
Verbal: “I curse you to die a painful death.”

Heal Mortal Wounds
Level 8 H
Verbal: “With the essence of Life I heal your mortal wounds.”

========

Been a while.. I think I got most of those incants right.. I think healing might be off...
I thought Silence was "I bind your throat with a cord of mystical silence" or something similar.

For some reason I remember Circle of Power and Circle of Protection being 2 different spells.. one earth the other celestial..

What about Doom...... :D

I think there are other Doom playtests which treat it like a magical evicerate.

I've seen one that treated it as a 100 damage celestial spell as well.

the only to body Cel. spell...

Mind Blast
5th lvl Cel.

Verbal: "I release a psychic bolt to mind blast my foe."

did 16 pts stright to body!!

man I loved that spell!!

~Matt K.

Wow I have to say though I like the semi standardized verbals now. They keep some variety while making it easyer to remember all the different spells.

I dislike the verbals now, I generally think most people are smart enough to memorize multiple spells... and to me what adds more flavor to a game. however its been so many years now they'll never go back to normal.

but here's an example of atmosphere

I call upon chaos to create undead
I call upon chaos to control undead

By Death’s dark mantle and the powers of Chaos, I control undead to do as I bid
By the power of Chaos, I call you forth and create undead to walk the Earth.

As a player who played in the game after the switch over to a more unified set of verbals I cannot think to even go with the old verbals. I mean it's nice to have them in say a table top where you can mess around with your incants (TrueName Mage) but to have it in a larp could be very daunting and I think I would go insane for blowing the verbals over and over again. Don't get me wrong they are cool but to keep the game easy for the casual player to come and play for the day it just makes more sense to go with the "Blanket" spell verbals.

Just my feelings on the matter.
Justin H-

with that logic in mind I think the current incants are horrible then...if your looking to cater to the casual player these incants arent bad but could be so much easier to learn.

wouldn't it be so much easier to learn this

Healing and Chaos
<Set incant> I Heal <target> <amount> ((target could be "you" if you dont know names))
<Set incant> I Wound <target> <amount>
By the earth I
By chaos I

* By the earth I heal Khale 30
* By Chaos I wound Khale 30

ICF spells
<Set incant> <dmg> by <dmg type>
By the Stars
* By the stars 20 damage by fire

Eldritch structures
<set incant> I build a <Spell name>
With Magical Power
* With Magical Power I build a Wall of Force, Circle of Power, Wizard Lock, Ward, etc

Binding
<set incant> I trap you in a <spell name>
With Magical Power
* With Magical Power I trap you in a Pin, Bind, Web, Confine etc

Buffing
<set incant> I enchant you with a <spell name + # value if applicable>
By the Stars
By the earth I
*By the stars I enchant you with a magical armor
*By the Earth I enchant you with a bless <#>

MKing said:
yes, yes...back in the day...Dragon's Breath was an AoE...but then again that was when we used Baby Powder and tissue paper for packets....oh...wait...so was Sleep... :lol: was all good till ya gotta an eye full of Baby Powder..... :cry:

~Matt K.

Cornstarch bombs FTW.

:)

Back