Metal Plates

Ket

Scholar
Looking for small metal plates that can be attached to leather to make some new armor and have not been able to find anything along those lines. I know Tyson made some years ago with metal plate covers from electrical junction boxes, he liked them since they already had holes for attaching to fabric. Other than that have not been able to find any other options to choose from. It does not matter what they look like since they will be in the inside of the leather and won't be visible. Already have the fabric and a way to attach, just trying to find some options for the plates and am wanting metal since am looking for 3pts per location. Appreciate and suggestions/ideas for the metal sections.

thanks,
Kevin

cool thanks, have used those for thier proper purpose, never occurred to me.

If it is possible, I would suggest rounding or nipping the corners of those plates. After a little bit of use, the corners will begin to poke through the fabric.

Basically, "nail plates" at any Home Depot or the like. Just wrap the outsides in tape to prevent the edges from digging into you.

the lightswitch plates are great. The corners are already rounded. and have two holes in them to attache to leather. They have them in heavy metal. Get the ones that are a face plate, so they don't have a hole in the middle for the lightswitch.

Brooks

I'm going to put in a vote against using re-purposed hardware. I was at Dagorhir's big Ragnarok event last month. A lot of people use nail plates or big washers for armor, and for the most part they look like nail plates or big washers. There are venues online where you can get cut and drilled scales for making scalemail, and they'll look more 'armor' and less 'improvised'. But they'll probably also be more expensive and harder to get a hold of, and I'm sure that with a little dedication and planning you could make some great armor out of washers. So, that's my two cents.

Of course, I can't find any stores online at the moment. : (

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplay ... 4522616592

One kind of scales. These things look beautiful once their together. Sort of like fish or serpent scales made of steel. Takes a bit of time and effort to assemble, though, and is a modern invention that someone came up with within the last decade or two.

making it for someone playing a romani, the metal would not be visible at all so it does ont matter, it would be between layers of materials

FrankManic said:
I'm going to put in a vote against using re-purposed hardware. I was at Dagorhir's big Ragnarok event last month. A lot of people use nail plates or big washers for armor, and for the most part they look like nail plates or big washers. There are venues online where you can get cut and drilled scales for making scalemail, and they'll look more 'armor' and less 'improvised'. But they'll probably also be more expensive and harder to get a hold of, and I'm sure that with a little dedication and planning you could make some great armor out of washers. So, that's my two cents.

yeah those look nice but they'd be a waste in this instance

FrankManic said:
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=84&cat=Scales&websess=83104522616592

One kind of scales. These things look beautiful once their together. Sort of like fish or serpent scales made of steel. Takes a bit of time and effort to assemble, though, and is a modern invention that someone came up with within the last decade or two.

Ket said:
yeah those look nice but they'd be a waste in this instance

FrankManic said:
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=84&cat=Scales&websess=83104522616592

heh. We use real metal for fake armor that won't be visible anyway. Life is exceedingly strange.

FrankManic said:

That isn't a reflection of the materials, just of really, really lazy craftsmen.

Small washers riveted to a backing make nice-looking scales when overlapped. It takes many more washers compared to using large washers/plates simply edge-to-edge, but you get that beautiful glint of steel (well... okay, it's zinc) when you're done. I figure I'll end up using about 10k 3/4" washers until I'll done.

Of course if you just want the 3pt material with the minimum of fuss and expense, whatever you can find cheap and hide easily will work. I recall Dennis said in May that he found a bunch of the aforementioned junction box covers on clearance at a hardware store for $0.27 apiece, which would be quite economical indeed. His armor made in part from those box covers turned out pretty snazzy.

the department of transportation typically sells its used signs. the Signs are on avg a 14 gauge aluminum which is sturdy enough to take solid rattan shots from as full blast and not suffer to bad if you have a gambeson on.

the signs have that protective coating on em (which is the sign) a strong saw will cut up the metal pretty nicely If you cut out the plates your looking for and then drill holes in them and connect em to your cloth or leather (and if making brigadine apply another layer of cloth or leather) I'd connect em using chicago screws with thread lock otherwise for Alliance purposes a speed rivet isnt bad or one I like to do is a roofing nail and then peen the ends over.

...so use titanium for that extra point of protection! It's the mithral of the real world.

amusingly enough titanium won't get you 3 pts per...

Back