Multi-function bracers

Wraith said:
Eh, we have to make some compromises on that front for the fact that things that would logically be built in Fortannis never really occurred in the real world. If potions were of vital necessity in the real world, then much like the baldrics that were developed for pistols, means of carrying them would have followed. If your issue is simply that they're nylon instead of being made of something more period, then I can understand, but there's only so many ways to make a device to easily hold small cylinders for quick access, and the shooting folks have found most of them. :D

Yes it would be the material they are made of....if its leather then I like the look but with the nylon it looks "odd" :D

Shandar said:
MKing said:
So if it looks cool and doesnt detract from the in-game atmosphere...I can NOT follow the rules

No one is suggesting not following the rules. If you'd read the rest of the thread (or even the first post where she specifically mentions having to take out the scrolls to cast them) you'd have known that.

Let's not be so hasty to blow apart other peoples' cool costuming ideas, hey?

Im not...and that was to your comment not their post....if they used leather or cloth with leather or cloth, it would "look" better, see my other post...and if they did pulled the scroll out to cast great...which is what I post in the first place :)

MKing said:
Wraith said:
Eh, we have to make some compromises on that front for the fact that things that would logically be built in Fortannis never really occurred in the real world. If potions were of vital necessity in the real world, then much like the baldrics that were developed for pistols, means of carrying them would have followed. If your issue is simply that they're nylon instead of being made of something more period, then I can understand, but there's only so many ways to make a device to easily hold small cylinders for quick access, and the shooting folks have found most of them. :D

Yes it would be the material they are made of....if its leather then I like the look but with the nylon it looks "odd" :D

Totally understandable. I mostly base my decisions there on simply not having the time to hand-build everything I want out of leather anymore. Gets expensive quickly, too.

jpariury said:
Tear away clothing sounds like a bad precedent. Or good, depending on who's wearing it and your own predilections, I suppose. ;)

These are awesome. Jeff Rainville used bullet holders that you attach to the stock of a shotgun as armbands, which pretty much looked like this but a touch less in-gamey, and I know a number of people that used ammo belts for their rigs...

Three improvements I could see for these:
  • An embedded, covered watch.
  • On the underarm of one of them, a coverable slot for a glowstick (maybe have it hold at the ends of the glowstick?)
  • Some clasp-held sleeve for lockpicks in the upper forearm.

I'll try and sketch out the idea.

I started playing around with some of these ideas, and here's a sketch that incorporates all of those (I needed to remake these with better leather at some point anyway). The red coloring is just to show contrast between leather parts, it would probably all be red or black leather. The pink glowy thing in the middle is supposed to be a glowstick, and the wristwatch face could easily be replaced by a small, cheap pocketwatch. Any other fun ideas? I want to see how many functions I can fit into these now. They're like the swiss army knife of bracers. :D
bracersdetailed.jpg

markusdark said:
Next time I have to backpack someone, I'm going to tape my scrolls to his back and just touch, cast, then tear them off as we go forward.

That's the spirit bro. I knew you had some powergamer in you. *Golf Clap*

;)

Gilwing said:
markusdark said:
Next time I have to backpack someone, I'm going to tape my scrolls to his back and just touch, cast, then tear them off as we go forward.

;)

I will freely admit to doing this back in the day! Now, not so much, Im to slow to keep up with the fighter in my group :D

Anazstaizia said:
I started playing around with some of these ideas, and here's a sketch that incorporates all of those (I needed to remake these with better leather at some point anyway). The red coloring is just to show contrast between leather parts, it would probably all be red or black leather. The pink glowy thing in the middle is supposed to be a glowstick, and the wristwatch face could easily be replaced by a small, cheap pocketwatch. Any other fun ideas? I want to see how many functions I can fit into these now. They're like the swiss army knife of bracers. :D
Excellent, I like! So, my fine-tuning comments: the glowstick should go on the underside of the arm brace, and have some soft leather flap that let's you cover it entirely. Having it on the top of the arm makes you more of a target in the dark, while having it on the backside lets you raise your arm like a cop with a flashlight does. For the secret pouch, it's worth noting it only works for small flat objects (like a few lockpicks). Also, to make the pouch extractable, I'd add a small flap of leather that comes out from under the armguard, folds over an inch or so, and clasps or clips to the outside. That way you just unclasp it and draw it out, rather than have to take off your entire armguard. Might even be easier to do if you line the inside of the guard with some fluff (faux fur or the like).

I could see slightly modifying this for NPCs as well: for the scroll sleeves, if you made one a slightly-wider waterproof/resistant pouch for monstercards, the other spaces could be used for components (if your chapter attaches an actual physrep to the sticks) and the slide-pouch could be used for coin or flatstick components.

Also, if you wanted to get fancy, I imagine you could layer the bracer leather and sew in some long flat pouches, and have one-inch wide metal bits that you could slide in to improve their armor value. I'm not sure just how thick we're getting here, though.

Gilwing said:
markusdark said:

;)

Everyone has it in them - it is whether or not you decide to follow it. Just like cheating.

I actually take all of my scrolls and attach them to the outside of an 18" long pvc sink extension tube (the tube has a lip around the top and bottom to help keep scrolls in place). I then stick two dozen Burger King straws into it, a dozen exposed at each end, and stuff these with potions (the tags on q-tips so that I can pull them out when I need to). This is my battle scepter that I use. 4 types of scrolls and two types of potions (so not to get them confused). Great way to go into battle without any real combat skills.

Alison,

Let me know when you have a final design. I'm very interested in a set.

jpariury said:
Anazstaizia said:
Excellent, I like! So, my fine-tuning comments: the glowstick should go on the underside of the arm brace, and have some soft leather flap that let's you cover it entirely. Having it on the top of the arm makes you more of a target in the dark, while having it on the backside lets you raise your arm like a cop with a flashlight does. For the secret pouch, it's worth noting it only works for small flat objects (like a few lockpicks). Also, to make the pouch extractable, I'd add a small flap of leather that comes out from under the armguard, folds over an inch or so, and clasps or clips to the outside. That way you just unclasp it and draw it out, rather than have to take off your entire armguard. Might even be easier to do if you line the inside of the guard with some fluff (faux fur or the like).

I could see slightly modifying this for NPCs as well: for the scroll sleeves, if you made one a slightly-wider waterproof/resistant pouch for monstercards, the other spaces could be used for components (if your chapter attaches an actual physrep to the sticks) and the slide-pouch could be used for coin or flatstick components.

Also, if you wanted to get fancy, I imagine you could layer the bracer leather and sew in some long flat pouches, and have one-inch wide metal bits that you could slide in to improve their armor value. I'm not sure just how thick we're getting here, though.

Moving the glowstick around to the underside just means shifting the scroll placement over. I considered adding armor, but I'm probably going to be getting Arcane Armor sometime soon, so not much point in it. It's a good feature to remember if I ever make these for people without Arcane Armor. :) Ok, quick mod of the original drawing to show some the changes.
bracersdetailed2.jpg

What else could I possibly use? Maybe a hidden pocket on the underside for my character card, or a fastenable tab to secure all my magical trinkets, or a place to attach the ring I hold all my tags on...

Very nice....

How about a spell packet tied by string to the underside to that it would rest it in your palm when your arm is hanging at your side, for easy touch-casting?

Similarly, if you weren't sweating the look too much, you could do another line of elastic above the scrolls that would hold spell packets. You drew this for the right hand, so I'm not sure if you intended this to be your off-hand or your dominant hand (i.e. are you left-handed?). It'd work for your off-hand, but might get awkward for your primary.

As an alternative, take cheapie contact lens cases, cut them in half (i.e.: into individual rounds) paint them brown, black, or deep red or green, and stud the upper part of the arm to rep blade poison holders/contact poisons.

On the edge opposite your lightstick, you could add a slot for a cheapie Bic pen... I always end up needing one for some reason and never have on on me. That'd place it next to the lightstick once you strapped this thing on.

If this is your primary arm, maybe add an archer's glove to the mix? Doubles as protection against contact poisons on first touch.

Back