Music for the Deadlands

Flyaway Bird

Scholar
So on my drive up to Deadlands I like to listen to music that fits the mood of the game. Helps prepare me for the weekend. I'm currently putting together a pair of playlists, one for the Villains and one for the Heroes, each with songs that I think fit into each category. The Villains list is mostly creepy mood music with a few character-specific choices; the Heroes list has songs that I think convey the mood of a certain situation. The eve of a battle, or looking out at a vast wasteland, or mourning lost loved ones, or the feeling of relief when dawn comes.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who does this (don't lie, I know everyone at least has their own character theme song!). So I open the question to you, the players -- what songs make you think of the Deadlands? What helps you get into the mood to play the game?

Some examples from the Villains playlist:

Mediaeval Baebes - How Death Comes
Corvus Corax - Filli Niedhardie
Maduro - Discordia
Kristeen Young - Rotting On The Vine
Rasputina - Transylvanian Concubine
Black Tape For A Blue Girl - The Scar Of A Poet
Amon Tobin - Proper Hoodidge
A Perfect Circle - Counting Bodies Like Sheep
Pentaphobe - The Cover Of Night
Roisin Murphy - Ramalama (Bang Bang)
Switchblade Symphony - Insect
O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby

And from the Heroes:

The Grave Digger (old folk song, I prefer the Matmatah version)
Blind Guardian - Harvest Of Sorrow
Iron Maiden - Childhood's End
Nine Inch Nails - We're In This Together Now
Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever
Knossos - Unknown To The Sea
Dying Sailor To His Shipmates (also an old folk song, the Bono version is really good)
The Cruxshadows - Winterborn (Subway To Sally Remix)
Bella Morte - Fall No More
Dead Can Dance - Devorzhum
Jason Webley - Against The Night
Coheed And Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

Inspire me!

Don't forget about nh's themesong - Run to the Hills

I have multiple cds, I'm trying to remember what's on them.
Carmina Burana's O Fortuna (orignal or Apoptygma Berzerk version)
anything by Manowar, but particularly Wariors of the World
I'm a bit partial to Cruxshadows - Täuschung
maybe it's just because I laugh at it, but Beborn Beton - Another World is totally one of Sun's songs
and of course, the best song ever to go with anything, nero, alliance, or whatever - Meternaught (I'm at work so I can't look up how to spell it and I can't spell in english, nevermind any other language) it even has a Keeley scream in it at one point. Just makes you picture Shadowmane attacking.

Usually while driving to a game I try to listen to Princes of the Universe by Queen. Always puts me in a good mood.

~Joe

Monster by The Automatic makes me think of Larping every time

March of Cambreathh by Heather Alexander is a great song to psyc you up for fighting. Either for good or for Awesome. I would use it to get in character when I wasn't playing Pant a few years ago.

i like to listen to indistructable by disturbed to get me in the mood for larping, can be for either villians or heroes

Jezebel said:
and of course, the best song ever to go with anything, nero, alliance, or whatever - Meternaught (I'm at work so I can't look up how to spell it and I can't spell in english, nevermind any other language) it even has a Keeley scream in it at one point. Just makes you picture Shadowmane attacking.

I imagine you mean "Mitternacht" by E Nomine? That song's definitely on my list, it's so outrageously epic!

Mittnacht - E Nomine
The Islander - Nightwish
The Poet and the Pendulum - Nightwish
Master, Passion, Greed - Nightwish
Seven Days To The Wolves - Nightwish
Ramalama (Bang Bang) - Roison Murphy
Monkey Bee - Monkey: Journey To The West
Supermassive Black Hole - Muse
Mariner's Revenge Song - Decemberists
Shankill Butchers - Decemberists
Summersong - Decemberists
White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes
Blue Ridge Mountains - Fleet Foxes
Wolf At The Door - Radiohead
Jigsaw Falling Into Place - Thom Yorke

And the entire FaerieCon album from 2007.

Call me a super nerd but i love listening to epic battle music and such from video games. It already has the metal association with battles so it makes sense to me, and gets me pumped.

ocremix.org has tons of awesomely remixed video game songs that work perfectly.

For music in general to get pumped up for game, I tend to listen to E.S. Posthumus (specifically Unearthed), and the Valve Orange Box soundtrack. In general, I'd recommend movie music (particularly trailer music) and video game music. Particularly with the advent of really serious composing for video games, some of the less recognizable themes can be easily repurposed. For Deadlands specifically, I might recommend the Gears of War soundtrack. It's full of dark, intense music, exactly right for the kind of feel that Deadlands seems to engender.

For specific music, I threw together a playlist for Kurguard out of Abney Park, Linkin Park, and Rise Against. Lots of heavy electric guitar and extremely repetitive drums. Besides, somewhere between "What I've Done" and "Herr Drosselmeyers Doll" lies Kurguard's mind. Not satisfied with who he is, but so much darker than he seems. Oh, and completely, insanely devoted to his machines.

I'll be sure to check out some of the music that other people have posted. I need to go on another music-buying spree.

Paul Vorvick said:
For music in general to get pumped up for game, I tend to listen to E.S. Posthumus (specifically Unearthed), and the Valve Orange Box soundtrack. In general, I'd recommend movie music (particularly trailer music) and video game music. Particularly with the advent of really serious composing for video games, some of the less recognizable themes can be easily repurposed. For Deadlands specifically, I might recommend the Gears of War soundtrack. It's full of dark, intense music, exactly right for the kind of feel that Deadlands seems to engender.

Gears of war does have an awesome soundtrack.

also a new game OST i have found which is absolutely amazing is Jets 'n' Guns. its a PC game and ive never actually played it but the soundtrack is really cool.

Depends on what side I am on...

Pcing:
playing my elves-
Jethro tull (pretty much anything -mellow, but fun)
the shins
iron and wire
mellow music
crystal castles

playing my ork same as npcing. says something...

Npcing:
Iron Maiden "childhood's end" (it is practically the plot of the chapter all in one song!)
Only living Witness "december" (it sounds like orks in the woods playing drums!)
Celtic frost
High on fire
megadeth
Slayer
Isis
3 inches of blood "slay the orks" ,"Goatriders horde"
scarier music

Men at Work

I was totally serious about Men at Work. One-hit 80s bands get me pumped.

Back