Mystic Wood Elves

Alor

Scholar
Gettysburg Staff
This might be an entirely IG, or chapter specific thing, but I thought this was the location best suited to putting forth my question. As a little background, the question arose out of what, if I remember correctly, was an IG conversation in HQ.

Mystic Wood Elves aren't elves... IG most really don't like being called Mystic Wood Elves or MWEs, or what have you. We/they generally insist on being called whatever their chapter-specific culture is called (though I know some, especially of the old Tyrran variety, are still called only M.W.E.).

This being the case, what do MWEs call themselves and each other when they travel? For example, mine is an Icenian Child of Camulous who lives in Caldaria, so obviously gets referred to as Ansconi, which he isn't. And while, Ansconi, it has been pointed out, is a more attractive connotation than "CoC" (and would be easier, given that he does spend the majority of his time in Caldaria), my character wouldn't dream of disclaiming his association with his people.

What do people think? Continue with the awkward stumbling around M.W.E.? Find something else?

"This is completely IG" is also a valid answer...

The only thought that seems to come to my mind is "Horned Folk" but that could be mistaken to include Satyrs.

Ondreij is Ansconi. He sees other Ansconi from different places (Such as Children of Camalous) as still being Ansconi (fundamentally), acceptably (and interestingly) different than the Ansconi of the Eleytherian Forest or of the other parts of Caldaria. He respects The Children and will refer to them as they prefer to be referred according to association. He is no hard *** about being called Ansconi, but will look at you, and with a sweet and knowing smile tell you that he prefers to be called an Anasconi, thank you.

MWEs are the only race that are referred to in the rulebook by their old, IG, Ashbury-specific name. Mystic Wood Elves were the ones who actually lived in the Mystic Wood on Tyrra. I used to always think it was weird that every chapter refers to them as MWEs when, seemingly, only people who have (IG) been to Ashbury should know the term. Looking at it now I see it as linguistic drifting that causes "the world" to use a specific area's term as a catch-all.

I've been called many things as Wildescent. "The Chosen", "Child of Camulous" (when the ashbans get confused), "Mystic Wood Elf", "Fae-Kin". Fae-Kin sounds really funny when people say it fast. "Hail, fakin'."
What a MWE is called is based on the chapter race packet. Every chapter seems to have something different and I think that is really neat. Some of the things MWE's call each other in their society is very FOIG.

Wildescent often calls other MWE's The Chosen or Faerie-Kin.

Thanks for putting the history in there Mike... that compliments the point I was trying to make nicely, and I only have a vague understanding of that part of it, being a newer player. Where other races have a generic that is ~mostly~ not offensive, or at least an accurate description relatively, MWEs don't, as the book out-right says they're not elves. My character has only met one actual person from the Tyrran Mystic Wood to date.

Now I'd much rather be assumed to be Ansconi than to be bumped into an inaccurate descriptor that is mostly there because there's no more accurate description.

I really like Faerie-Kin... might be a hard sell with some folks who hate fae, but I don't think I know anyone playing a MWE by that description.

Hey! That's profiling!

Besides... my MWE's usually more interested in elves or Biata (and before remarks are made, no, not just of the necromantic variety)

Alor said:
I really like Faerie-Kin... might be a hard sell with some folks who hate fae, but I don't think I know anyone playing a MWE by that description.

Well... <looks around> Wildescent doesn't like Fae herself much. So being a Faerie-Kin as well... she has some issues. :p

So much stuff that is FOIG but would fit into this conversation *laughs*.

Lets face it... Adventurers make their living by killing things and people (mostly at least)... and that includes those Adventurers who consider themselves something other than that. All of them have issues.

Telokh_Amdo said:
MWEs are the only race that are referred to in the rulebook by their old, IG, Ashbury-specific name. Mystic Wood Elves were the ones who actually lived in the Mystic Wood on Tyrra. I used to always think it was weird that every chapter refers to them as MWEs when, seemingly, only people who have (IG) been to Ashbury should know the term. Looking at it now I see it as linguistic drifting that causes "the world" to use a specific area's term as a catch-all.

I wanted to change them to just "Wood elves" for just that reason in the new Rule Book, but people didn't seem to like that.

Fearless Leader said:
Telokh_Amdo said:

I wanted to change them to just "Wood elves" for just that reason in the new Rule Book, but people didn't seem to like that.

"Fae-kin" or something something without the word "elves" would sound better to me. Even without the word "elves" there could still be IG debates about whether they are a kind of elf or not.

I think the problem with wood elves was probably that there are wild elf types that could be referred to as wood elves...

Something more fae oriented would probably work...

Telokh_Amdo said:
Fearless Leader said:
Telokh_Amdo said:

"Fae-kin" or something something without the word "elves" would sound better to me. Even without the word "elves" there could still be IG debates about whether they are a kind of elf or not.

I think dropping "elves" all together is a really good idea. Fae-kin or Faerie-kin are definitely good concepts, and more accurate than the present name for all but a very few of the old players (which, as Mike said, was only really accurate geographically, not biologically).

So, I vote yes in regards to changing the name. Is this something I should be lobbying my owner on?

As someone who does play a M.W.E. I would really hate to see something like this pass that would require me to change the way I play my character and change my background.

Togashin said:
As someone who does play a M.W.E. I would really hate to see something like this pass that would require me to change the way I play my character and change my background.

Well, remember, only the OOG name would change. Just because OOG your race is called "barbarian" for instance doesn't mean IG you call yourself a barbarian...

Togashin said:

But if I remember correctly you folks don't CALL yourselves MWEs... I can't remember the full name at the moment, but it's similar to what Ashbury MWEs call themselves, isn't it?

Fearless Leader said:
Alor said:
So, I vote yes in regards to changing the name. Is this something I should be lobbying my owner on?

Sure, why not?

Faekin isn't bad but it sounds like fakin' -- "Hi, we're all fakin'!" :D

Yeah, I have a feeling that's where Faerie-Kin came in... Fae-Kith might work... yes, it implies friendship more than relation, but has a better sound than the easily mistaken Fae-kin.

Alor said:
Togashin said:

But if I remember correctly you folks don't CALL yourselves MWEs... I can't remember the full name at the moment, but it's similar to what Ashbury MWEs call themselves, isn't it?

Here in Ashbury, we have "Children of Camulous" -- other chapters have other names for their MWEs.

The only ones who still call themselves MWEs are characters that were around back before the split (like my NPC) who really were from the Mystic Wood (which was an area on Evendarr, from the old NERO).

So yeah, IG there are only a handful of real MWEs, which is why I said maybe we should have a new OOG name for the race.

My MWE has a background that puts her very astranged from other MWEs, and I have had trouble deciding what she'll call herself... (probably Lurin can best answer this) Are MWEs in Alboria called something else by humans or not?

Back