nebbie: NPC vs. PC

Carrie/Pebbles/AGM

Artisan
Wisconsin Staff
i am completely new to LARP and i am very interested in it. I want to get started right away but how? I am nervous about how my first event will go because i know nothing of the game. I have read the rule book cover to cover but should i dive right in or a NPC. i'm excited to start my character but at the same time i'm scared that i will hinder that game by not knowing things such as certain skills or spells or even what to say and when to say it..what should i do? any suggestions?

If you've read the rulebook cover to cover, you should be fine. People make mistakes all the time... even our fearless leader has started a healing incant with a "chaos" starter.
My advice to you is to PC if that's what you want to do. NPC otherwise. When you NPC, you're building up your future PC, so NPCing won't hold your PC character back.

thankyou for the advice...sadly i'm in the Chicago area..perhaps i will meet you another time..

I PC'ed my first time and I didn't feel overwhelmed at all. Then I NPC'ed and I was using skills and rules that I wasn't aware of. I flubed alot of lines and I felt like I was over my head. As a new PC other players will take you under their wings and make sure you are not only protected from baddies but also that you are properly guided through the nuances of the game. Like how to say the proper incant for a heal minor wounds. What do you do when hit with a drain spell. As an NPC you are also expected to know the rules well enough so that you don't slow down the game or create confusion among other PC's.

For example I played a spider creature and we went out to fight the PC's. I accidently yelled out to my other NPC's to watch the right flank. Uknowingly these spiders couldn't talk. So the other PC's thought I was a "special spider" that could talk. After I was killed someone life spelled me, tied me up, and interogated me to see what I knew. So I had to roleplay my way out of it. No good information was given out and they had wasted a life spell for nothing. Confusion and slowing the progress of the PC's because I didn't know the rules as well as I should have.

If your broke then NPC is a good idea, but if you can afford it go PC. You get more loot and the same experience as you would NPC.

B~>

cerria said:
thankyou for the advice...sadly i'm in the Chicago area..perhaps i will meet you another time..

If you're in the Chicago area, there is a weekend event on the 31st of October through the 2nd of November. There will likely be a one-day event as well, though that has yet to be scheduled. We would love to see you out there!

Welcome to the Chicago/Wayside group. My wife and I's first event was April of this year so we are fairly new. We were going to NPC the first event, but then desided PC our first event. We had a blast, and have become larp addicts. Like you we read the rulebook cover to cover you will be fine. Do what makes you the must comfortable....and remember asking questions is a good thing.

wow everyone is so nice here.. i love it already!! i want to go to the event at the end the month but where do i go to become a member and to pre-register. and can anyone help me to figure out an outfit...i have ideas but i'm not sure that they fit the LARP system of races. i wish to be an elf still not sure what kind or maybe even a mystic wood elf. you guys are all so awesome for the advice :D :D

Start by going to the Chicago area of the forms....if you need send me or Fey@ngel a PM and we'll try to help all we can.

cerria said:
thankyou..i'll have to try and meet you there!!

Woot!

I started a character at level one PCing. The RP makes up for whatever you lack build-wise and logistics people love you for being easy to make ready. ^_^

Have fun and I hope to see you soon in Wayside!

what do you mean it makes up for what you are lacking "build-wise" and "logistics? this is most likely one of the many stupid questions to come and i applogize.

cerria said:
what do you mean it makes up for what you are lacking "build-wise" and "logistics? this is most likely one of the many stupid questions to come and i applogize.

Experience, garnered through a variety of ways (Game days, events, monthly accruals), leads to Build Points. Build points contribute to your character's level, which is a rough estimation of the character's ability/power.

Characters are maintained by the people that run Logistics for each chapter.

cerria said:
wow everyone is so nice here.. i love it already!! i want to go to the event at the end the month but where do i go to become a member and to pre-register. and can anyone help me to figure out an outfit...i have ideas but i'm not sure that they fit the LARP system of races. i wish to be an elf still not sure what kind or maybe even a mystic wood elf. you guys are all so awesome for the advice :D :D

If you can do the makeup to Dark Elf. It is the most hardcore sweet race in the game. ^_^

Not to downplay Dark Elves (well, amybe just Dave :p ), but if you can pull off the roleplay then Stone Elf is the way to go. They're sort of like Vulcans from Star Trek and can't show any emotion. My avatar and the second chibi in my sig show my Stone Elf.

This message brought to you by one of the pale, emotionless throng.

(HA! Once again I beat Amelia to the shameless Stone Elf plug!)

i can't really keep a straight face if the situation is funny so the stone elf would not be for me :( sorry to let you down...i think i'm gonna be a MWE to start and then maybe a dark elf further down the road but who knows..thankyou for the suggestions though

Marcena said:
Nooo! Just about every pc in Wayside is a MWE! Go gypsy! They LOOOOVE gypsies in Wayside! ^_^

Marcena! That's not nice. She is new to the game lol! Poor poor Gypsies.

That said I've only played my Dark Elf once, but really enjoyed the RP.

this may be a very racist question but what do gypsy characters do IG. are there still differnet types such as templar/fighter within the race? a detailed explaination is appreciated because i know nothing of them and it i may switch from a MWE to gypsy or make two character's. thankyou to everyone :D

Back