New Alchemy gas globe Phys Reps?

I wonder, if you're just going for looks (like for a bandoleer) and would still be using orange packets when it actually came time to throw them, if you could repaint them to look like they are holding actual poison. That would be pretty awesome looking, imo.

Bandoleers of packets are awesome... Take it from someone who knows... :p

I meant a bandoleer with these phys-reps, not orange packets. I know some people throw a lot of packets in a fight and wouldn't want to pay the money to have enough of these globes for their fighting style (e.g. cauliflower hand). What I was saying is for those people, to buy like 6 of these alternative phys-reps to make up a bandoleer of them, not the packets. That way it looks more authentic and if you could paint these globes up to look like they are holding real poison that would be very awesome I think for IG flair.

markusdark said:
I suppose I should have said "what about using these IN ADDITION TO orange packets?" ((Made the change in the OP)) Give the guys a choice - realistic alchemy globes or sewn birdseed packets. Since they fall within the specs of thrown weapons, just don't allow any thrown weapon to be colored a bright orange - which I believe none currently are (but I could be wrong).

Aww, but that's the whole premise of one of my newest ideas! So much for throwing carrots at people...

I'm interested in seeing how well those things throw/safetystuff. Might have to put a little foam "cap" over the one they already have, if it'll fit in an eye socket?

Talen said:
I'm interested in seeing how well those things throw/safetystuff. Might have to put a little foam "cap" over the one they already have, if it'll fit in an eye socket?

spell packets fit in eye sockets
thrusting tips fit in eye sockets
elbows fit in eye sockets

The 'eye socket' argument is an old, tired one. If it isn't rigid, it should be fine.

markusdark said:
The 'eye socket' argument is an old, tired one. If it isn't rigid, it should be fine.

I apologize- that's what I meant. If that "cap" is rigid foam, it might be an issue. If it's squishy enough, no worries.

So I got my order over the weekend. Overall, I am very pleased with them.

1004091540.jpg

The foam in them is roughly closed cell/pipe insulation style foam. Although they feel a bit stiffer than that it is due to the fact that I'm not used to squeezing 2" of pipe foam - although the cap and neck were very soft in comparison (due to the lesser thickness). The coating is a plastic rubber that is very smooth. although with more volume, they are actually about 30% lighter than a standard alchemy packet. And although they could fit into an eye socket with a lucky shot, the softness and general smoothness of the object wouldn't result in any injury. There was one issue with one of the globes though. The hole which they pour the mold had a 1/32" tube sticking from the cap:

1004091542.jpg

However an xacto knife and 2 seconds later and that was gone. As for cauliflower hand, I could fit a half dozen in my hand without too much trouble - although I do have long fingers. ;)

1004091541.jpg

All in all, I think they're great! I can't wait to use them.

I also got my order in and spent a night having them thrown into my eyes by a five year old. They hurt less than times I've caught packets in the face. All inall, I think they are AOK.

Laguna Hallik said:
I also got my order in and spent a night having them thrown into my eyes by a five year old.

This is the kind of quality control testing that makes Alliance great.

Very nice pics. The references in them help a lot. Thanks for the assessment!

I take it you are going to take them to HQ to see if they pass (which it sounds like they will). If they are allowed might pick some up.

Laguna Hallik said:
I also got my order in and spent a night having them thrown into my eyes by a five year old. They hurt less than times I've caught packets in the face. All inall, I think they are AOK.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for using these. They look hella cool. But if we're going to allow these, I see no reason why we shouldn't ditch the thrown weapon construction section that states "smallest dimension must be at least 3 inches in diameter". Why should a thrown weapon be held to a higher standard than a foam globe?

Yeah, I'll bring them with me to the HQ Oct event, to let people see them.

It really doesn't matter to me what the thrown weapon rules say, whatever is written in the rulebook I will use.

Laguna Hallik said:

It really doesn't matter to me what the thrown weapon rules say, whatever is written in the rulebook I will use.

your trying out some new experimental gas globes... those aren't written in the rules... this seems to be in conflict with your statement above. :?

Dreamingfurther said:
Laguna Hallik said:

your trying out some new experimental gas globes... those aren't written in the rules... this seems to be in conflict with your statement above. :?

except that he didn't say he'd be USING the globes. He said he'll be bringing them to let people see. his statement stands.

They're bigger than I thought they would be. They look cool though.

You know what would be cool? Good phys reps for traps like that. One of them with a fuse (and of the proper size) would look very cool for an explosive trap.

Scott

Duke Frost said:
They're bigger than I thought they would be. They look cool though.

You know what would be cool? Good phys reps for traps like that. One of them with a fuse (and of the proper size) would look very cool for an explosive trap.

Scott

I was actually asked to change my phys rep for my explosive traps as it looked too much like a pipe bomb. :)

As for thrown weapon dimensions, I also think that they're a little bit silly but thus far with the chapters I"ve travelled to, they have approved various 'illegal' thrown weapons on a case by case basis. I've just resigned myself to the fact that some of my weapons won't make it.

Back