New Beginnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRivers

Scholar
Calan awoke to the sun striking his face through the bedroom window. He looked over to where Jinn should be sleeping while he knew exactly where Jinn had gone it was still a strange feeling to not see him there. part of him really wished that he had gone through that portal with his friend. Jinn had told Calan so many stories of New Acarthia he wanted to see it for himself. With the tensions around the Lux he too could use some downtime. What would it be like he wondered to not have to worry about the world ending for a few weeks? Calan looked to the tally marks on his hand they were beginning to fade. With that realization, he rolled out of bed and went to the chest where he kept the paste to stain his skin; just as he was about to start applying the substance to his hand he noticed some of the failed drawings of forget-me-nots. perhaps he thought it was time to let go of some things, and start focusing on making room for something new. instead of making a tally mark he began to draw a forget-me-not on his hand. once he finished drawing he pulled out a sheet of paper and sat at the table to write a letter.

Calan looked at the first of two letters he would write. A pile of paper now littered the table he was sitting at. He found it so hard to find the right words to say. His eyes scanned the page before him. This letter was far from perfect but it would have to do he though. He carefully folded it up for delivery.

Perhaps he should get an opinion on the letter he thought. Of course he would show Phal and rohnan. Something told him Jinn would tease him about the contents of the letter but chances are Jinn wouldn’t be back for months so calan didn’t have to worry about that. Solveig was about perhaps she could give it a once over. At the thought of Solveig he recalled their adventure up the side of the cliff face. Poor solrex didn’t manage to make it up the cliff face. Just as well it would have made their depart even more difficult than it was. In retrospect calan should have assigned each of them a spotter to get up to the top safely. He made a note in his book of that in case he ever faced a similar situation before he pulled out the second sheet of paper and began writing a second letter.

Last edited:
Rohnan walked into the house and walked towards the room at the back of the home and knocked. “Hey Calan, what ya doing?”

Startled by the sudden noise Calan's pen streaks across the page.

"well," he grumbled as he crumpled the page up. "this will not do." he looks back to the door. "The ward recognizes you in. I am writing a letter."

“Sorry,” Rohnan said as she walked into the room. “A letter to whom? Gabrielle?” She smirked at the last bit. Though Rohnan couldn’t help but to get a bit nervous when Calan started writing letters. It usually meant he was about to run off to do something dangerous.

Calan flushed a bit, it was a sensation he was neither used to nor fond of. Something about it made him feel like a small child.
“No, I have already written that letter.”
Calan passes her the letter he had previously folded up for his friend to read over.
“ I am writing another to her parents. I feel like she is the sort of woman that would appreciate that.”
Calan pulls out a new sheet of paper and starts to write once more.
“ how are you this morning? Anything exciting going on?”

Last edited:
Rohnan smiled at Calan’s blush. It was nice that something so simple was able to get a reaction from him. It felt normal, like for a moment the only worry was flirting with a girl and all of the other concerns and worries that plagued them were gone . Rohnan felt herself blush as she read the letter. “Well, that’s adorably cheesy. But in the best way.” She refolded the letter and passed it back. “If that doesn’t work then nothing will.”

“My morning was productive. I received permission to study Conjuring so I’ll be heading to Calanhelm here soon. I also got permission to take Cassiopeia on as a student.” Rohnan bit her lip. “Between that and working with you, and maybe Jinn, when he decides to come back, on getting more proficient with my sword.... well, I’m gonna be busy.”

Last edited:
Calan placed his pen down and faced Rohnan. His grin grew to be large and goofy.
“I feel like with how Jinn talks about New Acarthia that he may decide to winter there. As much as I’d miss him I feel like he needs the break.” Calan placed his hands on his hips. “To be honest I am still half tempted to follow him there for the weekend. It would be super impractical though so maybe next time he ventures to that shard I will go along.”

Calan grasped the letter and tucked it into his pouch.

“I really hope that she likes it. The wedding was beautiful, aside from the tension between guests. It makes me want to have something like that some day.” His smile turns a little more serious but remains a smile. “Well I could never have something so large That is unless it what my partner would want, I mean I am not even officially courting anyone just yet so, carts and horses and all that.”
Calan could feel himself flushing a little once more.

“Enough about my delusions, congratulations I am so proud of you. I know you are going to do an amazing job.”

Calan walks over and gives her a hug.

Rohnan was suprised by the hug for an moment but then quickly returned it. Normally they only showed their affection by bickering and stabbing each other. “I’m proud of you too. Who knows, maybe soon you’ll be a War Mage with a wife.” Rohnan laughed. “Another wedding would be nice, but I agree about keeping the guest list small. I guess that’s the good thing about not being noble, not high ups that need to be invited. Don’t worry, I’ll wait until you are ‘officially’ courting Gabrielle before I say any of this to her. Though marriage talk might let her know you are serious.”

“Anyway, do you have any plans for the winter? It looks like many people are leaving the Lux.”

Calan shrugged at the question for winter plans while he responded. " No, I don't really have plans. There are a few projects I want to work on but I don't really see myself leaving the lux." Calan paused as though he just realized what she had said to him. "wait, let us not be talking about marriage especially to Gabriella. I mean we have only known each other a short while." Calan now stumbling with his words. "i mean im not saying I wouldn't eventually... I just think its a bit early. and I haven't even sent off a letter to her parents, they may not be thrilled about me, and I don't know that she even sees me the same way so its all a bit much." Calan sat down hard in the chair at the desk. and lets out a big sigh.

Rohnan cackled at Calan’s discomfort. “Look, you don’t see the way you two are together. I think that Gabrielle is just too cought up in what she was raised to think a relationship should be. And your too stuck in your own head. But when you are both together it’s obvious to everyone how much you like each other. It why we all support you and might be a bit overbearing. But it’s only because we know that you two work. And you clearly know that too, mr. love-letter. So if you need help just ask. We all support you and this thing that’s happening between you. You deserve to be happy.”

Calan smirked. "well if your offering to help. you could start by offering your opinion on my letter to her parents, and then maybe taking it to them for me?" Calans voice raises up in a questioning and uncertain tone as he says the last bit.

Calan reads the letter aloud.
"Dear Gabriel and Heather Carrison

My name is Calan Rivers of The Fallen Raven clan. I am writing this letter to inform you of my intentions to formally court your daughter. While I met her a year ago, we didn’t begin to interact with any capacity until this past summer. Often we would find ourselves at the common fire at the same time. It was during these moments where I started to get to know your daughter. She is one of the brightest and brave people I know. She makes me want to become the best version of myself. I could make her happy and provide a good life for her. I would make sure that she would never want for anything. I want your permission to come to your home and visit with your daughter there so that I might be able to show you the respect I have for you and your family. Should this proposal be acceptable to you, I would ask that you kindly send word back with my kinsman to let me know the date and time you would have me arrive.

Respectfully
Calan Rivers of The Fallen Raven Clan, Lore Warrior of The Arcane Sanctum"

Calan pauses a moment before looking away from the paper.
"so... what do you think?"

Last edited:
Rohnan listened to the letter as he read it. “I like it, but I feel like it’s missing some things. I just can’t put my finger on it. Maybe talk a bit more about yourself? You mention how you feel about Gabrielle, but very little about you. I would add in ‘I found myself seeking her approval’ before ‘she makes me want to be the best version of myself’ and after you say ‘I can make her happy and provide a good life for her’ list examples. How are you going to make her happy and giver her a good life? And finish it off with, ‘I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you in person. With your permission, I would love to visit Gabrielle at your home...’ blah blah the rest is fine. And yes I’ll deliver it for you.”

Calan Crumples up the paper and pulls out a new one and starts to make talking points for his next letter. " see this is why I asked."
Calan continued to write. " I wonder what sort of things they might appreciate as a gift."

Rohnan moved to go sit on the bed. It was starting to look like this was going to take a while. “Hmmm. I don’t really know. Wine? A nice cheese? A rare book? Flowers? I can definitely help with flowers. Maybe something for each of them? I know that they are merchants but that’s about it. Are you thinking about sending gifts with the letter or when they hopefully invite you into their home?”

" I was thinking about the latter. Should I consider a smaller gift to send with the letter? I feel like that might help show that I can provide for their daughter. Maybe a rare Item that can only be found here in the lux? the question would be what though. " Calan stood up and began to pace as he pondered that question.

“Um, I was only really thinking that you should bring something when you go meet them, but you’re right. Giving them something with the letter would be good. I would say maybe something from the Atherum as you played such a big role in that but ..... Oh! Okay, so this might delay the letter for a bit, but draw one of your portraits for them of Gabrielle. You can show off your skills a bit and what parent doesn’t appreciate a picture of their child?”

Calan nodded his head. “You know that’s not a bad idea. Honestly it wouldn’t take me that long, I could actually have a picture drawn by tomorrow if I started it now. Unlike the rest of us she doesn’t have any horns or bizarre hair style to try and capture.” Calan paused. “ you don’t have to stay with me the whole time if you like you can go about with your day. It should take me till the morning to finish everything.”

Rohnan thought for a moment. “I’ll need to sort though my things and decide what I’m bringing with me to Calanhelm. Besides that there isn’t too much else for me to do. I’ll help you finish this letter first and then leave you to your drawing. I’ll need to find Cassiopia and see when she would like to work on learning magic. Maybe actually check if she wants me as her teacher.”

she thought for a moment “I probably wont leave for Calanhelm until tomorrow afternoonish. Deliver that letter for you, check in on Opithasis and Kelios. See how well they are adjusting. It’s kinda funny that they had the opposite problem as us. For them a few days was actually thousands of years, we had thousands of years in a few minutes.”

“it’s going to be weird actually learning magic again. It’s kinda exciting. Especially something so old and forgotten. Plus it’s a huge opportunity to be one of the first who has this chance.”

“anyway, stop my rambling. How is the letter looking now?

Calan looks at his letter.

"I don't know, I still feel like its missing something. I just hate to feel braggy or possessive and everything I try writing comes off as one or the other. really I just want her to be happy, and safe." he clears his throat briefly before he starts to read aloud.

"Dear Gabriel and Heather Carrison,

My name is Calan Rivers of The Fallen Raven clan. I am writing this letter to inform you of my intentions to formally court your daughter. While I met her a year ago we didn’t really begin to interact with any capacity until this past summer. Often we would find ourselves at the common fire at the same time. It was during these moments where I started to get to know your daughter. She is one of the brightest and brave people I know. It is these qualities in her that had me looking for ways to gain her favor. While I already had aspirations to rise in the ranks of the sanctum my time spent with her has made those aspirations greater. I am a person of determination and focus when I set out to do something I will stop at nothing to accomplish that task; I would gladly give my life if it meant a better life for her. That paired with the fact that I belong to a clan of other likeminded individuals would mean that not only would your daughter be safe, but also I and we by proxy could ensure that she would never want for anything. I would like your permission to come to your home and visit your daughter there so that I might be able to show you the respect I have for you and your family. Should this proposal be acceptable to you I would ask that you kindly send word back with my kinsman to let me know the date and time you would have me arrive. In the meantime please accept this gift in good faith.

Respectfully

Calan Rivers of The Fallen Raven Clan, Lore Warrior of The Arcane Sanctum"

Calan looked to Rohnan for approval.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back