New Rule Book Comment Thread

That's understandable. Dark Elf math has fifteen different zeroes, including one which is only used when the amount of honor lost by committing a certain action exactly equals the amount of honor you would restore by honorably committing suicide.

Dreamingfurther said:
Although honestly a scholar skipping out on their 9th level spells seems a lot like a fighter skipping out on their Eviscerates... ;)
No, more like fighters skipping their Slays, Parries, Stun Limb, Disarms, and Shatter to get to Eviscerate faster. Heck, my templar skipped all of the offensive fighter skills and just bought the defensive ones, because Riposte is far cooler (to him) than anything else he could have gotten along the way. It's all about the character.

meh, that all depends on the character. I got my 1 ninth, and then proceeded to get 24 levels of rit. There was no big earth rit caster in my main chapter at the time, so it def made sense. I wouldn't recommend it to many people though, since I just got to sit for a year and not gain anything.

I've never seen an evis land on an NPC/monster so I generally just get parries and ripostes (getting shatters now for character reasons).

So its somewhere in the neighborhood of 83 to 110+ build to have High Magic, 90 before discount for my blacksmith level right now I would say its not out of the question for those kinda levels to do more than reset armor in half the time. But anything is better than nothing so I'm happy with the baby steps.

Yea in some ways that would be worse but you already need 10 levs (without a shop) to strenthen anyway. That for me really would just be no change. I actually look forward to the new crafting rules. I've been very tempted to pick up merchant just to turn my 30 levels of BS into three OCS's :)

I guess I don't understand you're thinking then, guys. How is going to one ninth, then one formal, then fill in the 4-block "skipping out on" spells? If you are going to get a 4-block and one level of formal, you're going to spend 110 build (100 for spells, 7 for pre-req's and 3 for one level of formal) as a scholar. It's 80 build to get to 1 ninth level spell with pre-req's. So if you spend your 81st, 82nd, and 83rd build on your one level of formal instead of your 108th, 109th, and 110th, you will have the use of your formal ability for a full six months to a year (depending on frequency of play and number of chapters you play that character in) sooner than you would have. Meanwhile, you've slowed your same spell progression by about one event's worth of time (ie you'll get each of your remaining 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells about one event later than you would have by spending that 3 build in the middle on something other than those spells).

Angrydurf said:
my 30 levels of BS
.... I'll refrain. :)

Actually, best use for Merchant and Blacksmith, I think, is to take a suit that is too large for someone, trade it in for coin, then build them the new suit and pocket or split the change.

Maxondaerth said:
I guess I don't understand you're thinking then, guys. How is going to one ninth, then one formal, then fill in the 4-block "skipping out on" spells? If you are going to get a 4-block and one level of formal, you're going to spend 110 build (100 for spells, 7 for pre-req's and 3 for one level of formal) as a scholar. It's 80 build to get to 1 ninth level spell with pre-req's. So if you spend your 81st, 82nd, and 83rd build on your one level of formal instead of your 108th, 109th, and 110th, you will have the use of your formal ability for a full six months to a year (depending on frequency of play and number of chapters you play that character in) sooner than you would have. Meanwhile, you've slowed your same spell progression by about one event's worth of time (ie you'll get each of your remaining 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells about one event later than you would have by spending that 3 build in the middle on something other than those spells).
I think we were just discussing how quickly you can get to your "capstone" skill. 83 build gets you access to four high magic abilities if you're earth (3 if you're celestial).

Angrydurf said:
Yea in some ways that would be worse but you already need 10 levs (without a shop) to strenthen anyway. That for me really would just be no change. I actually look forward to the new crafting rules. I've been very tempted to pick up merchant just to turn my 30 levels of BS into three OCS's :)

Really the rest comes down to your local plot team. Here in CT anyone with Master Potion, Alchemy, Blacksmith, Scrollmaker has had stuff go out specifically for them. For example: We had a LCO shortsword of elemental hooptyness for killing the BBG that could only be crafted by a master blacksmith. There are also currently LCO alchemy and LCO potions out there that can only be made by masters. All in all the rulebook is the base for encouraging people to spend build on crafts but it comes down to how involved your plot team wants to be going forward.

JP, I was addressing those who seemed to be saying that by getting ritual levels before filling out your 4-block was somehow "skipping out on" their high level spells.

Maxondaerth said:

I don't think this is "skipping out" at all. In fact this is precisely what my scholar who i a hardcore battle caster did. For the record I would always advocate getting that one level of Formal even if you are going to finish your spells or not. It certainly make you more "useful"...

Back